• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.224 solid bullet

nomad 1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2005
Idaho
Been having problems with bullets coming apart out of the barrel at 50 plus yards. Need to find a solid 70gr and over. Have shot berger, hornady amax's 75 and 80. bullets to 90grs.
Shot a 70 Barnes today it stayed together would like to find a higher BC bullet........this rifle has a 1/7 twist at 3700fps......

Re: .224 solid bullet

there are very few bullets that can be pushed HARD thru a 1:7 twist barrel. Either have to run them slower of go with a slower twist barrel.

if you do the math you can see the huge difference the twist rate makes:

MV x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet RPM

your listed info gives an RPM over 380,000
if you use a twist of 1:10 it is 266,000

Are you shooting a cheetah ??

My friend has a 7 twist 22-'06.
55 grain ballistic tips hold together for him.
We're trying some other stuff soon.

Found some at Hooker Tactical the 80gr solid has a BC over.6
Great to work with aswered all questions and some great advise.
Thanks for all your help.......

You might also want to PM Noel Carlson (also his handle).

[email protected]

He is producing high BC Solids. I recently tested some .338 bullets that were performing very well.

I have also used the Hooker Tactical bullets in my .375-408. They tend to shoot better in a barrel specifically designed for them (Lawton).

Noel's bullets shoot fine in regular barrels but I don't know if he is making any .224 short enough for a 1:7 twist. Give him a shout. I am having a 22-250 built with one of his gain twist barrels the goes from 8:1 to 4.5:1 shooting a 7 caliber .224 bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.224 short enough for a 1:7 twist.
</div></div>

My thinking exactly. Nomad1, you sure 80gr low drag solids will stabilize in 1-7"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomad 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> this rifle has a 1/7 twist at 3700fps...... </div></div>

That's 6,342 Revolutions/Second. Seems like most bullets only tolerate a little over 5K RPS. Definitely an application for a homogenous bullet. Wondering what the barrel life is.