• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie AR-15 Bolt carrier is not staying open on last shot

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I was shooting my 224 Val yesterday, testing loads with Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR Ended at 28grs behind 80.5 gr Berger Full Bore average velocity 2947 FPS out of a 23" Krieger bbl. But the action wouldn't lock open upon the last round fired. BUT loads with 25grs of Re#15.5 pushing 75gr ELD did lock open upon the previous shot?

It's 90 degrees. Shooting off a bench with a brass-catching screen clamped to the bench. The load with 25grs of Re#15.5 behind a 75gr bullet bolt stayed open, and 25grs of Re#15 behind a 60gr bullet stayed open. But 28grs of 2000MR behind an 80.5 gr bullet didn't lock back. Also, I was getting higher velocity with the 80.5 gr bullet than the 75. Now, with the Re#15.5, the primer was flatter but didn't open or expand the primer pocket. (These two powders are next to each other on the powder burn rate chart) The 2000MR average velocity was 2,947 out of ten shots, and the SD was 20.6. I think I have room to increase the powder charge.

You might have some room to up the powder but I would be careful. If you have an adjustable gas block I think I would try that first. I tried using Gordon's Reloading Tool but I don't have faith in the powder model so I won't say what the results were. The 2000MR is known for giving higher velocities, I got 80-100 fps easily in my 308 over the 4064 velocity.

Reactions: Iron Worker