• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie AR Barrel Twist?

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

This looks like a very interesting cartridge with a lot of potential. I've noticed some of the AR offerings either come with a 1/7 twist barrel or, a 1/6.5 twist barrel. What's the reason for the variance? Do I want a 1/7 or, 1/6.5?

Cheers,

AvsFan:alien:

6.5 if you’re going to handload and take advantage of heavier, 90+ grain bullets (and single feed them, ha). Seems like 90grs is about the crossover point on these. From Sierra’s site:

“Sierra recommends a 6.5” twist barrel for the #9290 22 cal 90 gr HPBT bullet when pushed at muzzle velocities lower than 2650 fps. In cartridges like the Valkyrie with muzzle velocities above 2650 fps, a 1×7” twist barrel will stabilize the bullet correctly.”

They also say outright that their 95gr bullet requires 1:6.5 or faster.

Reactions: MSTN
The sweet spot for most practical shooting with the 224Valkyrie appears to be with 80gr eld-m’s. I’m getting great results with them in a 1:6.5 twist as well as a 1:7.5 twist (Rainier Ultramatch). Based on my node of 2960fps, it doesn’t go transonic till beyond 1100yds and shoots well under moa. Compared to my 6.5 grendel, it’s 4 mils less drop at 1000yds, and hasn’t gone transonic yet, which the grendel does well before.

The 1:6.5 twist 22” (White Oak) barrel does well with the 95gr SMK’s as well.

Neat cartridge, but probably best for the hand loader till factory ammo catches up with what works best. Also, the twist rate doesn’t matter as much as getting a barrel that was cut with the proper reamer. JP, White Oak, Rainier, Craddock and a few others are where i’d start.

Good luck

Reactions: lash
My 1-6.5 shoots everything from 52 ELDs to 95 SMKs pretty well. It would do better if my eyes weren't so damned old.:(

I'm using a Shilen 6.5 twist, it shoots 75s to 95s very good, chambered by DTech.
I cut the front out of one mag to load the 95s a touch longer, works like a champ.
The Valkyrie is a lot of fun.

I am running a 24 in 1 in 7 twist and have had so far no problems with any of the factory loads even the 90 grain fusion love the 75 grain and the 88 eldm shot nice have not had the opportunity to shoot beyond 600 with any of them yet . a friend at our range has the 1/6.5 twist on a 16 or 18 inch barreled ar and while the lighter rounds seem to have shot well he is having problems with groups with the heavier grain rounds could be his load / barrel I do not know . but on the same token he is only one of a very few people I have seen with my own eyes put 5 out of 5 I believe 75 grain smk 223 rounds in the same hole at 100 - 300 yards I can not do that with anything yet , nor do I expect to in my life time , but who knows maybe one day before i die I could get lucky .

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm looking at a Wilson Combat Recon w/a 20" barrel - it comes with a 1/6.5 twist barrel. Does anyone know if they've utilized the proper reamer? I was unaware of different reamers for this cartridge...I'm assuming some have had issues?

Thanks again!

AvsFan(y)

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm looking at a Wilson Combat Recon w/a 20" barrel - it comes with a 1/6.5 twist barrel. Does anyone know if they've utilized the proper reamer? I was unaware of different reamers for this cartridge...I'm assuming some have had issues?

Thanks again!

AvsFan(y)

The WC barrel is GTG

The sweet spot for most practical shooting with the 224Valkyrie appears to be with 80gr eld-m’s. I’m getting great results with them in a 1:6.5 twist as well as a 1:7.5 twist (Rainier Ultramatch). Based on my node of 2960fps, it doesn’t go transonic till beyond 1100yds and shoots well under moa. Compared to my 6.5 grendel, it’s 4 mils less drop at 1000yds, and hasn’t gone transonic yet, which the grendel does well before.

The 1:6.5 twist 22” (White Oak) barrel does well with the 95gr SMK’s as well.

Neat cartridge, but probably best for the hand loader till factory ammo catches up with what works best. Also, the twist rate doesn’t matter as much as getting a barrel that was cut with the proper reamer. JP, White Oak, Rainier, Craddock and a few others are where i’d start.

Good luck
Good solid post. In fact in this thread, I am seeing a big difference in the knowledge base and experience that is showing. This is to be expected, now that people have had a year to shake the cartridge down a bit.

My 22” Craddock 1:6.7 twist RC barrel has liked the 75s, 88s and 90s I’ve shot with it so far. While I do reload, I chose this caliber as a fun rifle to shoot with factory ammo. So far, I’ve had great luck and fun with the factory loads I’ve used in it.

I’ve got components, but really think that Hornady would do well to offer their 80g ELDM in a factory load. I’ve had good luck with the 88g loads but like others, think that the sweet spot just may be 75-80 grains for my rifle.

Reactions: shooter65
Not trying to hijack a thread, but does anyone have experience with a Ballistic Advantage 224 Valkyrie barrel? I just torqued down the barrel nut on mine but won’t get to shoot it for another week or so. Waiting on a few more parts.

Not trying to hijack a thread, but does anyone have experience with a Ballistic Advantage 224 Valkyrie barrel? I just torqued down the barrel nut on mine but won’t get to shoot it for another week or so. Waiting on a few more parts.
There have been a few posting here, in other threads, having Ballistic Advantage barrels. Best I remember with mixed reviews, but truly don’t take my memory as gospel. Do a google search of Snipers Hide .224 Valkyrie or some such. You’ll get some good scoop from those that have/had them.

Good luck with the Valk, no experience with that caliber but both of my BA barrels in .223 Wylde are awesome and well outperform my expectations.

Wow! What a timely post. I was just getting ready to post a thread titled “.224 Valkyrie- Let’s talk”
I took my .224 V out for a run today at a local,friendly match. Ranges were from 100 to 1100. This was the first time that I had shot my the rifle beyond 100 yds off the bench.
So, specifics first. JP upper. 1:7 twist 22” medium barrel. JP adjustable gas block. JP muzzle brake. LMT lower with Armageddon gear trigger. JP adjustable silent capture buffer.
Starline brass, RL 17 powder, CCI 450 primer, Sierra 90 Grn match.
Distances were from 100 to 1100.
I used a Kestrel with AB for ballistics.
Conditions were pretty benign. No real wind. 78-80 degrees and 70% humidity

Rifle performed spectacular! Hit every target except the 1100. Dope was spot on out to 850 then went .2. Mil high. Shot small plastic juice jugs at 200 and nailed them.
The greatest take away for me today was the lack of recoil and the ability to spot hits. I normally shoot a 6.5x47, and I have difficulty spotting my impacts( prob poor form on my part), but the Valkyrie has almost no recoil.

All in all what I would all a successful outing. I’m impressed. Can’t say that it is THE caliber, but when conditions are benign....it will perform. I’m sure that with practice one an master the round and make it shoot in all conditions.

Reactions: AMP!
I’d Love to have a JP barrel but that’s out of my price range right now. Hah. But glad to hear she performed well. Waiting on my adjustable gas block to come in since I’ll be running mine suppressed. Hopefully I can get her tuned and zeroed next weekend.

Watch DVOR for BA barrels btw. I got an 18” Premium Fluted a couple weeks ago for like $170 shipped. Insanely cheap for the performance. Was shipped to me in an Optics Planet box strangely enough, but maybe they just fulfilled the order since they’re pretty close to me Chicago.

1:7 is fine...and I have shot 90s and nailed 1000 yd targets soild... But, if your only gonna shoot 90-95s then consider a 6.5 but you really need to find out the real twist of your barrel... most twists are plus minus that number.... they are loose with them as a spec generally at times.

Attachments

• Educational Clarification Notice 1 R1.png
    Educational Clarification Notice 1 R1.png
    215 KB · Views: 118