• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 valkyrie freebore for bolt gun

6.5creedmoor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I've been looking but cant seem to find what the optimal freebore is for a 224 valkyrie using a bolt gun. If anybody knows its please post it up. Thank you.

Any shooting the 95's and want to share what velocities your'e getting?

I'm about to start load development on my PVA barrel. Not sure what the freebore is on it but even with the 90's I'm gonna have a huge jump to the lands. Wondering if I should go with the 95's instead.

ETA: Just doing a pressure workup I got to 26.8 grains of varget @ 2886 FPS with the 90's. Slight pressure signs but no sticky bolt lift.

Last edited:
Any shooting the 95's and want to share what velocities your'e getting?

I'm about to start load development on my PVA barrel. Not sure what the freebore is on it but even with the 90's I'm gonna have a huge jump to the lands. Wondering if I should go with the 95's instead.

ETA: Just doing a pressure workup I got to 26.8 grains of varget @ 2886 FPS with the 90's. Slight pressure signs but no sticky bolt lift.
How did your load development end up going? 26.8 grains of varget seems to be about as high as you would want to go, 2886 with 90s is great. I was told to start at 24 grains...

It’s still going. Nothing yet. I switched over to the 85.5 hybrid but haven’t found a load yet. I have one more outing to try and then I’m switching powers. 26.7 gr of varget with this bullet got me to 2977. Haven’t shot for accuracy yet, just over the magnetospeed. ES was best between 25.5 and 25.7 so next range trip I’ll shoot some groups around those. If varget doesn’t work I guess I’ll try H4895 but I’m getting frustrated.

It’s still going. Nothing yet. I switched over to the 85.5 hybrid but haven’t found a load yet. I have one more outing to try and then I’m switching powers. 26.7 gr of varget with this bullet got me to 2977. Haven’t shot for accuracy yet, just over the magnetospeed. ES was best between 25.5 and 25.7 so next range trip I’ll shoot some groups around those. If varget doesn’t work I guess I’ll try H4895 but I’m getting frustrated.
I’ll be in your shoes here soon, I’ll probably try varget, precision rifle, and RL16. Was going to just do load development with 88s, and 80s, but those 85.5s might change my plans.

Reactions: RFutch
I’ll be in your shoes here soon, I’ll probably try varget, precision rifle, and RL16. Was going to just do load development with 88s, and 80s, but those 85.5s might change my plans.

Check out my 224V review thread here. I tested H4895 with 80 ELD, 88 ELD and 90 VLD.

88ELD/H4895 final load shot 0.75moa @ 300yd and 500yd.

90 VLD /H4895 final load was 0.6-0.7moa 300 and 500yd.

Reactions: nrspence