• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie Savage MSR15. A $1300 paperweight.

roamin

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2017
Maybe this is why people seem down on Savage rifles.

This is why I build ARs rather than buy them. I could build a 1.5 MOA Valkyrie for $500. Why the heck would anyone pay more than twice that for one??!!

It was 4MOA with the 90gr SMK.

Ouch, I would be pissed.

Rebarrel and never buy a built gun again. Or savage after that BS

Or maybe give it to someone that has a brain and be pissed off when they shoot .5 moa

People and their braindead problems with ARs are a huge joke to me. Learn how to wipe before your daddy buys your first gun.

And if you don't like it you prove me right.

Or maybe give it to someone that has a brain and be pissed off when they shoot .5 moa

Savage shipped thousands of 224V rifles out with chamber issues that were blowing primers. Numerous people received the rifles with blown primers from testing rattling around in the box. A guy who buys Savages brass from testing rifles and sells 1x fired brass had to buy back every order of 224V brass due to it not holding primers and I believe the loss put him out of business.

The only brainless individuals involved in this are the ones at Savage who sent these rifles out. It's a known and well documented issue... Look it up. Savage is fucking garbage. They were garbage before being bought by vista and more corners cut, and they're even worse now.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I wouldn't touch a savage my all BA cost
BA receiver set $170
BA Valkyrie BCG $130
BA gas block $30
BA .224 SPR 18" barrel $240
Ergo stainless LPK set $60
Ambi handle $50
Geisselle SSAE $215
KAC MK12 handguard $345
AE brake and collar $125
Tube and heavy buffer and spring kit $75
Sopmod Stock $75
mags $35
KAC sights $200
so I'm $1750 into the build not bad for a MK12 clone let alone in .224 Valkyrie

subtract the KAC sights $200
Larue trigger instead of SSAE $125
CTR stock instead of sopmod $30
BA handguard instead of KAC $120
BA comp instead of AE brake $75

So I could have build it for $1200 less than the savage

Disclaimer I have not made it to the range waiting on ammo will be testing Fed 75 and Hornady 88 we will see if it was worth it, I'm hoping the 18" barrel performs decent. If tit does and all the hype behind this round pans true I will invest in a custom barrel

Long story short dont throw away your money on a savage Valkyrie everything seen is garbage

Attachments

• 20180922_170729.jpg
    20180922_170729.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 50
  • 20180922_170759.jpg
    20180922_170759.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180922_170825.jpg
    20180922_170825.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20180918_225354.jpg
    20180918_225354.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180921_123207.jpg
    20180921_123207.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 62
I wouldn't touch a savage my all BA cost
BA receiver set $170
BA Valkyrie BCG $130
BA gas block $30
BA .224 SPR 18" barrel $240
Ergo stainless LPK set $60
Ambi handle $50
Geisselle SSAE $215
KAC MK12 handguard $345
AE brake and collar $125
Tube and heavy buffer and spring kit $75
Sopmod Stock $75
mags $35
KAC sights $200
so I'm $1750 into the build not bad for a MK12 clone let alone in .224 Valkyrie

subtract the KAC sights $200
Larue trigger instead of SSAE $125
CTR stock instead of sopmod $30
BA handguard instead of KAC $120
BA comp instead of AE brake $75

So I could have build it for $1200 less than the savage

Disclaimer I have not made it to the range waiting on ammo will be testing Fed 75 and Hornady 88 we will see if it was worth it, I'm hoping the 18" barrel performs decent. If tit does and all the hype behind this round pans true I will invest in a custom barrel

Long story short dont throw away your money on a savage Valkyrie everything seen is garbage
Any luck with your BA 224? Mines garbage thus far. producing a half minute group then opening up to over two inches. not consistent at all. just trying to figure if its ammo, barrel, bolt/chamber interface, me??? used my aero lower with a geissele hi speed national match and the gun bagrested on both ends on a stable shooters bench..... not that I'm a pro, but I know the reticle on two separate optics was steady with a clean press....

I am not up 100% on the valkyrie. But I thought I have read a number of article that it is suffering some accuracy issues. Especially with 90gr bullets. Seems it needs more twist. I also believe Federal has said their 90gr offering is not up to par.
The only thing Savage did was to jump on the band wagon with everyone else, and they got bit. As have quite a few others.

I am not up 100% on the valkyrie. But I thought I have read a number of article that it is suffering some accuracy issues. Especially with 90gr bullets. Seems it needs more twist. I also believe Federal has said their 90gr offering is not up to par.
The only thing Savage did was to jump on the band wagon with everyone else, and they got bit. As have quite a few others.

There's nothing wrong with 90gr bullets or the Federal ammo either. Plenty of other builders rifles shoot it great.

Savage has zero excuse, they are owned by Vista just like Federal and were on the of the key players in developing the round. For them to put out a bunch of fucked up rifles just shows how shitty their stuff is.

Any luck with your BA 224? Mines garbage thus far. producing a half minute group then opening up to over two inches. not consistent at all. just trying to figure if its ammo, barrel, bolt/chamber interface, me??? used my aero lower with a geissele hi speed national match and the gun bagrested on both ends on a stable shooters bench..... not that I'm a pro, but I know the reticle on two separate optics was steady with a clean press....
Is yours the 18" SPR? I'm going to guess you get 1/2 MOA with the Fed 75 and complete inconsistency with the 90's? I'm still waiting on mags ammo and my rings to come in I'm hoping it shoots, I have Fed 75 and Hornady match coming

Reactions: Zack_va248
Why not try the Hornady ammo sitting on the bench in front of him? This isnt the first I've heard of a rifle not liking Federal 90gr. I know of one big company pulling the bullets out of them and putting 88gr eld-m on top because the SMK wasn't consistent.

There's nothing wrong with 90gr bullets or the Federal ammo either. Plenty of other builders rifles shoot it great.

Savage has zero excuse, they are owned by Vista just like Federal and were on the of the key players in developing the round. For them to put out a bunch of fucked up rifles just shows how shitty their stuff is.
Federal issued a statement a few weeks back that their 90gr loads were NOT up to par.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155683627803549&substory_index=0&id=175997103548
https://cdn-federalpremium.azureedg...-fnl.pdf?v=1&d=20180629T185456Z&sf193365917=1
Before you make a blanket statement of "there is nothing wrong with....." you may want to make sure you are correct. Does anyone think that the video producer has a agenda? There is a lot of money to be made on youtube if you can get viewers to watch. Any and all videos should not be taken a documentary but like a Hollywood production.

Why not try the Hornady ammo sitting on the bench in front of him? This isnt the first I've heard of a rifle not liking Federal 90gr. I know of one big company pulling the bullets out of them and putting 88gr eld-m on top because the SMK wasn't consistent.
YEP!! If anyone is just finding out that federal 90smk is not up to par then they are behind the curve.

Federal issued a statement a few weeks back that their 90gr loads were NOT up to par.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155683627803549&substory_index=0&id=175997103548
https://cdn-federalpremium.azureedg...-fnl.pdf?v=1&d=20180629T185456Z&sf193365917=1
Before you make a blanket statement of "there is nothing wrong with....." you may want to make sure you are correct. Does anyone think that the video producer has a agenda? There is a lot of money to be made on youtube if you can get viewers to watch. Any and all videos should not be taken a documentary but like a Hollywood production.

Not sure that really supports your assertion.

"We have found that some of our Sierra 90-grain MatchKing rounds are not performing to the accuracy levels we expect. Although they are still shooting MOA out of our test barrels and will function to our specifications, we hold our Premium Gold Medal products to the highest standard. As a result, we are recommending the following products as we work to improve the MatchKing load."

Savage shipped thousands of 224V rifles out with chamber issues that were blowing primers. Numerous people received the rifles with blown primers from testing rattling around in the box. A guy who buys Savages brass from testing rifles and sells 1x fired brass had to buy back every order of 224V brass due to it not holding primers and I believe the loss put him out of business.

The only brainless individuals involved in this are the ones at Savage who sent these rifles out. It's a known and well documented issue... Look it up. Savage is fucking garbage. They were garbage before being bought by vista and more corners cut, and they're even worse now.
I tried looking it up and everything I find is issues related to 90gr SMK and a few of 75 fmj federal ammo. I provided proof, how about you do the same.

Not sure that really supports your assertion.

"We have found that some of our Sierra 90-grain MatchKing rounds are not performing to the accuracy levels we expect. Although they are still shooting MOA out of our test barrels and will function to our specifications, we hold our Premium Gold Medal products to the highest standard. As a result, we are recommending the following products as we work to improve the MatchKing load."
The assertion is that there are 100's of reports of Federal 90smk not performing. To the point that Federal has issued a statement that other ammo would be better to shoot for now. The statement you quoted is a lawyers liability statement. It basically says, in house testing has not shown a reason or cause but real world use has proven different.
I am not here to get into a pissing match, but Federal has issued a statement and any accuracy testing with it should be disregarded at this time.

Reactions: roamin

How much of it have you shot? Zero, you’re regurgitating shit you’ve read, and I’m speaking from experience.

I’ve shot numerous lots of it from two different rifles and I stand by my statement that there is nothing wrong with the ammo. The worst I saw was still sub 3/4 minute from my LMT MLR, my Craddock barrel was sub 1/2 minute with every lot tested.

Savage and other manufacturers dropped the ball on the rifles and barrels and that’s all there is to it. When the barrel is a turd it doesn’t matter what you feed it, it isn’t going to perform.

2 cents:

Was a tough video for me to watch couldn't understand the guy to well. Maybe his shooting style needs a little improvement, his booger hooker control seemed a little heavy. None the less, it's still a savage and aren't really known for high quality. Plus, when did Savage start getting into the AR game?

The assertion is that there are 100's of reports of Federal 90smk not performing. To the point that Federal has issued a statement that other ammo would be better to shoot for now. The statement you quoted is a lawyers liability statement. It basically says, in house testing has not shown a reason or cause but real world use has proven different.
I am not here to get into a pissing match, but Federal has issued a statement and any accuracy testing with it should be disregarded at this time.

Read it and decide it means what you want it to mean. :p His rifle was still shooting 2 moa with the 75g ammo. Blowing primers is bad. I have seen a lot of bad reports on both the 90g ammo and the savage AR. I don't own either.

Federal absolutely had issues, that was stated and admitted, 3/4 was often reported and it was not up to par. I even received a call from JP when it was changed as many helped fine tune the load correctly.

2E6A2FB1-0900-41C5-AC38-4F37E50F7E7F.jpeg

That was a 3 Shot group with my Valkyrie up in AK recently, this was factory 75gr Federal, this is what they expected vs something just barely sub moa.

I shot the same JP with 88gr Hornady and first try at a competition came in 12th with very little prep.

This was definitely discussed and remedied with a new load

2 cents:

Was a tough video for me to watch couldn't understand the guy to well. Maybe his shooting style needs a little improvement, his booger hooker control seemed a little heavy. None the less, it's still a savage and aren't really known for high quality. Plus, when did Savage start getting into the AR game?

Rob Ski is a Military Sniper nice of you to give him pointers on his shooting though.

Reactions: Red343
Federal absolutely had issues, that was stated and admitted, 3/4 was often reported and it was not up to par. I even received a call from JP when it was changed as many helped fine tune the load correctly.

View attachment 6948949
That was a 3 Shot group with my Valkyrie up in AK recently, this was factory 75gr Federal, this is what they expected vs something just barely sub moa.

I shot the same JP with 88gr Hornady and first try at a competition came in 12th with very little prep.

This was definitely discussed and remedied with a new load

Do you know if Federal did a re-call on the ammo and then sent new shipments out? Just curious as to how one would know if they are getting the new load or the old load.

Is yours the 18" SPR? I'm going to guess you get 1/2 MOA with the Fed 75 and complete inconsistency with the 90's? I'm still waiting on mags ammo and my rings to come in I'm hoping it shoots, I have Fed 75 and Hornady match coming
no its the 1-7 22" fluted. Not sure if its chamber issues, or just ammo inconsistencies. Im just getting geared up to start reloading so I'm at the mercy of the factory as of now. need to have another competent shooter or two shoot it just to remove that as a variable but again Im confident in my ability to group consistently enough to at least trend ammo. yea it shot the 75s ok, around a minute to minute and a half. 90 smk was half minute first 3 rd group, then opened way up and got really inconsistent. aggravating. contemplating selling and going jp or craddock.

Let me know how yours shoots. Im interested to see if its a quality control issue with BA or just a design flaw in chamber, or again ammo. lots of variables to weed out.

I'm with Redneck on this one. The issue was a Federal loading, not the 90 SMK. And yet, with the Craddock chambering, even the Federal 90g factory Fusion shot well for me. I do shoot the Hornady 88g factory as my chosen factory load though, as this was pretty much my original intent. Having heard a few good things about the Federal 75g from a few people, not the least of which is Frank G., I plan on trying that out also. I'm sure I'll post about it at some point after I do so.

Reactions: Zack_va248
I'm with Redneck on this one. The issue was a Federal loading, not the 90 SMK. And yet, with the Craddock chambering, even the Federal 90g factory Fusion shot well for me. I do shoot the Hornady 88g factory as my chosen factory load though, as this was pretty much my original intent. Having heard a few good things about the Federal 75g from a few people, not the least of which is Frank G., I plan on trying that out also. I'm sure I'll post about it at some point after I do so.
I'm with Lash and Redneck. Here is some load Dev with 90 SMK at 100yds (.75" stickers) and factory ammo at 388yds (1" sticker). Bullet is fine but the load is not right for some rifles. They haven't found that chocolate ice cream load like the 168gr FGMM for the 308Win.
IMG_20180708_200313.jpg

IMG_20180707_185944.jpg

Reactions: lash
How much of it have you shot? Zero, you’re regurgitating shit you’ve read, and I’m speaking from experience.

I’ve shot numerous lots of it from two different rifles and I stand by my statement that there is nothing wrong with the ammo. The worst I saw was still sub 3/4 minute from my LMT MLR, my Craddock barrel was sub 1/2 minute with every lot tested.

Savage and other manufacturers dropped the ball on the rifles and barrels and that’s all there is to it. When the barrel is a turd it doesn’t matter what you feed it, it isn’t going to perform.

.........Uh huh.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan