• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 valkyrie suggestions

steve101610

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
A friend of mine has a massive amount of 224 valkyrie ammo that he isn’t going to use anymore so I’m looking to put together a 224 valkyrie. He has a bunch of 60gr vmax, 75gr fmj, and 80.5gr Berger federal ammo. What barrels have been proven performers? Not very many options that I can find. What I have found so far is bison armory for a quick solution and craddock or x-caliber for a custom but I’m not sure if I’m patient enough for the long lead times. Planning on a 17 designs folding lower with an aero enhanced upper. I would like to do a 20” but not sure what gas length will be the best.

i have this on my Mega build. super accurate with hornady factory eld-m ammo. the twist rate is a little slow but they said on the longer barrels such as this with the higher velocities it wasn't an issue, and it is not an issue from my experience out to 800yds.

Rainier Arms Ultramatch MOD2 .224 Valkyrie Rifle +2 Gas .875 Gas Block TiN Extension- 24" - Polished (NO FLUTES)
1​

Attachments

• mega 224 valkyrie L.jpg
    mega 224 valkyrie L.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 120
You may want to consider a Uintah Precision complete upper. I have one and it’s a blast to shoot. Also have a 24” White Oak Armament barrel on the 224 I built. Not sure if they still sell the 224 barrels. The Uintah is bolt action. Only thing you would maybe need to do is to make sure you have a compatible trigger, and magazine.

You may want to consider a Uintah Precision complete upper. I have one and it’s a blast to shoot. Also have a 24” White Oak Armament barrel on the 224 I built. Not sure if they still sell the 224 barrels. The Uintah is bolt action. Only thing you would maybe need to do is to make sure you have a compatible trigger, and magazine.

I have looked at Uintah uppers but they told me not to use the triggertech diamond which is what I use in almost all my lowers. I’m not willing to give up my triggertech diamonds🤣

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Another vote for Criterion, just whatever you pick go with a 20+ inch barrel. Valk needs some barrel length to really work well

Reactions: briang7511
I don't think Rainer makes/stocks their barrels in 224Valk anymore. The Criterion is a good choice, but with a government profile and only available in 18" or 22".

I know that you don’t want to wait and can appreciate that, but a call to talk to Paul Craddock could help answer some of you questions and might let you know what is available when. Craddock really has the .224V dialed in. He sold me on a Rock Creek 22” with +2 gas. Barrel with matching bolt and gas tube. Has worked great for me.

P. S. I’d give my eye teeth for access to the ammo you’re talking about. One of the reasons that I went with .224V was the readily available low cost factory ammo for it. I got it when I was somewhat low on liquidity and didn’t stockpile much at the time. In retrospect, a rookie mistake.

Ok not hijacking the thread but kinda in the same boat. Only question is the .224 craze dying off because reading through this post and seeing a lot of companies not carrying/making barrels anymore gives me a scare. So is it a dying fad?

I love my 224V, but I wouldn't do it again or recommend it to anybody. (Considering gas guns only - I cannot come up with a single good reason to build a 224V bolt gun when there are so many excellent 224 caliber cartridges out there that do not have the limitations of an AR-15 magazine.) For a non-reloading shooter, precision is highly variable (not very good for many) which can negate any ballistic advantage of a .223/5.56 at longer distances, and ammo is at best not common (read $$$). For the reloader, tuning can be a long and difficult process, and good components are scarce and expensive. (I have not seen 90 SMK's available anywhere for many months.) But the nail on the coffin will likely be the 6ARC. Why do a 224V when with a 6ARC you can have equal or better ballistics with low recoil, with FAR better inherent precision.

I love my 224V, but I wouldn't do it again or recommend it to anybody. (Considering gas guns only - I cannot come up with a single good reason to build a 224V bolt gun when there are so many excellent 224 caliber cartridges out there that do not have the limitations of an AR-15 magazine.) For a non-reloading shooter, precision is highly variable (not very good for many) which can negate any ballistic advantage of a .223/5.56 at longer distances, and ammo is at best not common (read $$$). For the reloader, tuning can be a long and difficult process, and good components are scarce and expensive. (I have not seen 90 SMK's available anywhere for many months.) But the nail on the coffin will likely be the 6ARC. Why do a 224V when with a 6ARC you can have equal or better ballistics with low recoil, with FAR better inherent precision.
I stopped having any inherent precision problems over here when I went to 6.5 twist.

I have been to 7 gun stores today. 6 had Valkyrie on the shelf and 1 had 1 box of 6mm ARC.

That said I’m not sure I would do it again. I did it because even now I can’t get 147 6.5 CM ammo anywhere.

I’ve had no issues with my BSF barrel. 20” standard rifle length gas suppressed. I haven’t really dialed in for groups but it’s shooting both 60 grain vmax and the 75 grain tmj 3/4-1” off a tripod with thermal

Faxon barrel on mine. 77SMK's with CFE223. Took a bit to dial it in but pretty happy with the results.
20220305_145835.jpg
20220305_145813.jpg

Reactions: lash

I love my 24 inch WOA barrel as well

Took me 6 weeks to get but was worth it.

Reactions: RockCreekFisherman
I decided to give the bison armory barrel a try. I went with the 20” spr barrel. The fit and finish of the barrel is fantastic. It shoots the federal 80.5 Berger ammo amazingly accurate. It also seems to really like the 88gr eld handloads that I have ran through it. I am very pleased with my purchase.

I have looked at Uintah uppers but they told me not to use the triggertech diamond which is what I use in almost all my lowers. I’m not willing to give up my triggertech diamonds🤣
AS much as I would like a Uintah Bolt Upper.I dont think its worth the price and Im like you.I like my Trigger Tech Triggers. What reason did Uintah give for not using TriggerTech?