• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .224 Valkyrie Suppressor- Issues?

LRSHOOTER0311

Green Eyed Devil
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
Does anyone have any information on the .224 Valkyrie round being utilized in .223/5.56 cans? I have a Silencerco Hybrid and can swap the end caps for different caliber/dimensions, but I want the optimum end cap diameter. I know that .223 is actually .224, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a solid answer.

Thanks

They shoot the same caliber bullet, so why would you need a different end cap?

Honestly, I don't know and I'm just choosing the side of caution. I was unsure of the measurements, as the .223 end cap is made for up to .224 to provide enough space vs. shooting a .224 round and needing .225 for spacing, I know this is a very slight difference, but was wondering if it would in fact make a difference or do I need to go up a size. If that makes sense... I guess I'm just looking for that vote of confidence that there won't be any issues, lol. I waited too long and paid a pretty penny on my can to destroy it with a minor mistake.

I do know the bore diameter is the same, but I have seen some concerns with some cans because of the higher pressures. Seems unfounded since it is really only slightly higher volume, but before I attach one, I am going to get the spec to the mfr. and see what they say before putting rounds through it.

You do know that the 223 end cap is not 223 in diameter right? It could be anywhere from .015 to .030 bigger depending on the suppressor manufacturer.

You do know that the 223 end cap is not 223 in diameter right? It could be anywhere from .015 to .030 bigger depending on the suppressor manufacturer.

I didn't know that as I'm a noob when it comes to can specs. Thanks for educating me so that in the future I don't sound as dumb, lol.

224V isn’t going to be higher pressure because it can’t be, cases larger than 556x45 in the AR have to be lower pressure to keep bolt thrust down and because the hoop strength of the barrel is reduced in larger cases chamberings. 224V case capacity is not significantly more than 5.56x45 and bullets are the same diameter.

You’re good to go.

224V isn’t going to be higher pressure because it can’t be, cases larger than 556x45 in the AR have to be lower pressure to keep bolt thrust down and because the hoop strength of the barrel is reduced in larger cases chamberings. 224V case capacity is not significantly more than 5.56x45 and bullets are the same diameter.

You’re good to go.
Perfect answer I was looking for! Thanks RyanScot!

.223 rem and .224 Valkyrie literally shoot the exact same bullets (assuming proper twist). You're gtg.

Reactions: LRSHOOTER0311
FWIW & IMHO,
Dunno as that as that is the best answer available. The .300 Blackout, .308 Winchester , .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Norma Magnum, and .300 Lapua Magnum(rare) ALL SHOOT THE SAME CALIBER BULLET. This, as far as I know, does NOT mean that all .30 Caliber suppressors are GOOD TO GO shooting exteme overbore .30 caliber offerings. The ONLY source for this information is your suppressor manufacturer. They, generally, will give you a bore size and a amount of powder being burned(personally thinking of ThunderBeast here(hint;-). Just because the bullet fits throught the hole does NOT mean it is safe for you OR the long term health of your suppressor. YMMV.

Regards, Matt.

Does anyone have any information on the .224 Valkyrie round being utilized in .223/5.56 cans? I have a Silencerco Hybrid and can swap the end caps for different caliber/dimensions, but I want the optimum end cap diameter. I know that .223 is actually .224, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a solid answer.

Thanks
Use a .223 can. No need to change the end cap.

The Hybrid is rated to 338LM and 458 Socom so it shouldn't have any issues with the 224V. Using the 223 endcap will help reduce the sound level but will increase the back pressure. If you don't already have a AGB you may want to consider using one to prevent overgassing.

I have a SiCo Hybrid which I've run on my 22 Nosler using the .46 cal endcap without an issue. When I switched my rifle to use the Dead Air Sandman S the brass ejection indicated I was over gassed so I installed a Superlative AGB. Two full rotations out from closed fixed the overgassing for both suppressed and non-suppressed shooting 70gr RDF's at 2900fps.