• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

224 Valkyrie

ojs643

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Kingsville, Tx.
What would the best "ideal" barrel length for the 224 Valkyrie? So far, I like what I'm seeing in this new cartridge. This would be for prs and club matches in AR platform. Thanks.

I agree, 22 won't hold you back. I've gone as long as 26" on my large frame and while it wasn't bad moving around barricades, it did feel quite awkward. 22" is a happy place for both my 6.5 and 6mm creedmoor's. I plan to stick to that with the valkyrie and with the lower powder capacity that it has I doubt I'd be losing much velocity to a longer barrel.

FWIW, the deference between my 18 & 20" grendel is around 25-30fps... my 16 vs 18 is almost 100fps. Comparing 223 is very similar, but more loss between 16 & 18"... though I only have but one 16" vs 2 18's and one 20.

My swag... I'd say the valkyrie will peak around 20-22" with longer barrels being marginally faster while using heavy bullets and extruded powder.

Last edited:
I'm going to build an upper and I'm strongly considering 22".

Jp has 20" and 22" valkyrie barrels listed with +2 gas system on their site. They will have a christmas discount I think around Christmas, and you get the hp bolt you need headspaced to your barrel. I'm sharing this because if you guys buy them all, I won't have to resist the temptation to get into this new caliber right now.