• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

224 Valkyrie

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
Am I crazy to bethinking about building one? Whats the current state of Wilson Cobat barrels? Would I be crazy to build it with a cheap PSA barrel? Will there be appreciable velocity gains by going with the Valkyrie over a 223 Wylde chamber?

What’s the ammo situation where you are? I haven’t seen Valk ammo in a year (?), give or take. 223/5.56 is plentiful. I haven’t looked for Valk brass, but I can’t imagine is approaches “readily available.”

Midway ran out of brass while I was messing around. LOL. I got some else where and ordered everything else I need.

It’s an alright caliber. I really enjoyed it inside of 700 yards using a 24” barrel and 88gr eld or 75gr TMJ ammo. After 700, wind calls became critical.

I shot a stage where the target was up on a hillside where the wind can swirl a bullet around if you’re not paying attention. The target was at around 820 if I remember correctly. Get my wind hold, hit, same hold shortly after, miss, adjust hold, miss, adjust, hit, hold original, hit, hold same, miss. That was with a semi, so splits between shots were not long.

I look at the valk as a higher hit probability 22 at 600 yards over 223. However, you lose the benefit of still being able to shoot standard 223. Therefore, unless you really want a 22cal for intermediate ranges, that’s the only way it makes sense. Still hard to see signature, still gets tossed in the wind, not much more energy over 223, and still requires 6.8 bolt and magazines.

Reactions: Constructor
FWIW, the only successful valk shooters are using 80gr bullets and sending them at 3000fps. That’s the golden ticket for the caliber. The fast speed with decent BC helps cut down on the wind effect and still heavy enough to shake a target at distance. Or destroy a varmint game animal.

A Co worker of mine has a Wilson Combat barrel and really likes it. He said with factory ammo its consistent 1 MOA.

Purchased a complete upper from PSA back in 2020 for $300 with a 20" stainless 1:6.5 twist. Loves the factory Federal 90 gr Gold Metal Match. shoots other weights so-so at about .75-1.0 moa. Not satisfied I built another 20" using a Faxon Fluted Stainless Nitride same twist as the PSA and it shoots pretty close to .60 moa.

I got in when Federal 75 gr AE was $7.99 a box from TargetSportsUSA so I loaded up as a cheap plinker round and for the price, it's been really fun. Expect handloads to shrink groups when I get around to working up a load.

Last edited:
Wilson Cobat has the Valkyrie barrel on sale for right at 250, so i went with them. It seemed like a good enough price for a mid grade barrel. I wish WOA still had Valkyrie barrels.

Wilson Cobat has the Valkyrie barrel on sale for right at 250, so i went with them. It seemed like a good enough price for a mid grade barrel. I wish WOA still had Valkyrie barrels.
What is the twist? I can tell you that hornady 88 ELD-M really don't like to be pushed hard from a 1-6.5. I've had key holes and blow ups above 2700 fps from a 224 pred with a 1-6.5 barrel.

FWIW - The LWRC 6.8 bolt is the strongest available IMO. Lobster tail extractor & no undercuts on the lugs adjacent to the extractor.

I’m sending 77RDF @ 2940 from an 18” AR & consistent 1/2 moa with that load. 80.5 Bergers @ 2920 & .5-.7 moa. Just started playing with 88’s still need work with them. Got a ladder ready for tomorrow.

What is the twist? I can tell you that hornady 88 ELD-M really don't like to be pushed hard from a 1-6.5. I've had key holes and blow ups above 2700 fps from a 224 pred with a 1-6.5 barrel.
Those 88s are starting to get a reputation for blowing up.

It is the 1 min 6.5, thats the one that was on sale. I have some bonded or base locked 80g spizer blem from midway to start with. Someone said they are the 75g from some Hornady ammo. I will check them out anyway, I might use them on Antelope this year, but I usually have my 280 because usually have an Elk tag also. Same goes for my wifes deer tag.

I have buch of 70g RDF and 75 and 80 a max also, as well as some 80g Nosler CC and 77 Nosler CC and SMK.As well as an array of 40-60g bullets. A little more ass for a hunting rifle was one reason to want something other than 223. I probably should have held out, spent a little more and did a 22 Grendel or variant, but this was cheap and even the 223 has always been good enough. When we go to big open places we take 22-250s and 243s anyway. Getting 26" bolt gun 223 performance out of a 20" barrel AR-15 would be nice.

One thing I did not buy was a magazine . Anyone know which one will fit the longest OAL?

It is the 1 min 6.5, thats the one that was on sale. I have some bonded or base locked 80g spizer blem from midway to start with. Someone said they are the 75g from some Hornady ammo. I will check them out anyway, I might use them on Antelope this year, but I usually have my 280 because usually have an Elk tag also. Same goes for my wifes deer tag.

I have buch of 70g RDF and 75 and 80 a max also, as well as some 80g Nosler CC and 77 Nosler CC and SMK.As well as an array of 40-60g bullets. A little more ass for a hunting rifle was one reason to want something other than 223. I probably should have held out, spent a little more and did a 22 Grendel or variant, but this was cheap and even the 223 has always been good enough. When we go to big open places we take 22-250s and 243s anyway. Getting 26" bolt gun 223 performance out of a 20" barrel AR-15 would be nice.

One thing I did not buy was a magazine . Anyone know which one will fit the longest OAL?
I run PRI mags in the valk. They are good for right at 2.300 & if you want more than Cavity back bullets sells windowed PRI 10 rounders that’ll get you to about 2.340.

One thing you’ll find is that the lighter bullets will hit the rifling well under mag length. Example 2.255 for a 77TMK is on the lands in my Valk. 2.198 77smk touches. 80 & 88 eld’s or 85.5 Bergers can hang way out there. 2.350+

Ogive placement seems to matter a lot with Valk in an AR. My experience anyway. I didn’t bother trying the 70RDF cause it just didn’t look like a good fit. 77 & 85 RDF’s are GTG in mag length.
The 80.5 bergers also are about perfect for the Valk. Actually I’d consider the 80.5’s like the equivalent to a 168 smk. If it won’t shoot them well it’s probably not going to shoot anything well.

Primer pockets give out quick if you get to spicy.
For lighter varmint loads 8208 will get impressive speed, but it gets touchy near the top end & can kill brass quick.
26.5 of 8208 with 60g Vmax was 3231 but primer pockets are dead in 2 loads.

For 75 pills + Lever Evolution is my go to. It likes upper end loads. If to mild SD’s suck, but it delivers like nothing else I’ve tried for speed. It also doesn’t get peaky near top end.
The loads I listed in the earlier pist were all with Lever.

I have Varget, 4166, and 8208 on hand. I was hoping to shoot the 70 RDF in my 9 twist 22-250 but it wouldn't stabilize them. I think I have a 6.8 SPC case I can size and make a modified case once my dies get here.

My 20" LMT likes the factory Hornady 88gr load. I can get ~70% hits at 800 at TVP but 1k is a mofo. A lot of that could also be my lack of practice at those ranges.

I'm curious to see your results/experience. I've been toying with the idea of an 18" Valk gas gun for a few years now in the hopes of getting 26" .223 bolt gun speeds. I run a ton of 75gr BTHPs and ELDMs in my .223 trainer and the ELDMs at 2900fps+ is basically 140gr 6.5 creed ballistics. Def no slouch inside 700 yards.