• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 225 ELD-M vs 230 Hybrid Target

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Anyone actually have a head to head comparison of these 2 bullets?
    Is the .777 G1 BC of the ELD-M accurate?
    I must say that I'm sceptical after measuring the 2 bullets.

I am curious too. Supposedly this is a no shit, doppler verified bc from Hornady. Also have heard from multiple sources that in general the bc's Hornady is publishing for their ELD-M bullets are really accurate. I went with the H225 over the B230 in 300NM because of the lower price. I have not shot them at distance yet to get a sense of the accuracy of the .777 bc..

Reactions: necktwist
    I shot the 225 in 300 Weatherby at 2900 fps. The .777 BC held true thru the velocity range that Hornady list for that particular BC. I averaged all three Mach number BCs and used that number to 1200 yards and it was spot on.

Reactions: category_theory
    I was running the old Hornady 225 HPBTM for a while before everything blew up & I found that the .643 BC they were publishing was low. When they stopped making them i switched to the 230 Hybrid Target & love them. But I might give the new Hornady 225's a try but only if they will actually out perform the Berger. I just have a hard time believing a .777 BC given a shorter OAL & slightly longer bearing surface.

I actually used .749 average of all three Mach numbers for the G1. It worked to 1200 yards. It outperformed the Berger for me in BC and price.

Reactions: Yellowjacket338
    Imma give these .225 ELD-Ms a whirl in my .30-338Norma Imp. & see how they compare to the 215Hybrids I been shooting...

I actually used .749 average of all three Mach numbers for the G1. It worked to 1200 yards. It outperformed the Berger for me in BC and price.

not sure that 1200yds is far enough to test BC with this bullet combo. You need to push it under Mach 1.2 or so to really see how the trajectory performs thru the subsonic 'hump' (Mach 0.95 to 1.20). I would take her out to 1800 or so, if you have access.

I contacted Hornady and I was told that the .777 g1 was the HIGHEST measurement of a banded BC. I was also told that a .743 G1 as a constant with the 225 eld m in ballistic solvers was the way to most accurately input your data.
    However, when it comes to the .696 G1 on the 215'Hybrid target Berger, I've taken it out to 1400 yards with the numbers matching. The 230 otm Berger also matches up using the .719 G1

Reactions: TnDoc
    I've been using the original .743 G1 with the 230 Hybrid Target in FFS for a long time with nearly perfect results. I didn't even need to true anything but the MV & it's accurate from below freezing @ sea level to 90* @ 7000' asl.

I'm guessing it's the meplat on the 230 that holds it back and the actual BC wasn't .743 afterall, it is supposed to be .717 now.

Got some 225's coming in this week.

I got a chance to try them at 1460Y. 1895Y and 2100Y. Those numbers might have been off a few yards but close so nothing definitive yet but the 225's did well at those distances.

Anyways, using SHOOTER with stepped BC's starting with the .777 BC, I was right on at 1122Y according to the V-PLRF05 .

Oh and during the ladder test three consecutive shots went into 1/2" or so at 300Y. At 1900Y I was able to hit a 15" wide steel about a fifth the time.

Last edited:
    I spoke with a lot of guys regarding the 300NM at Shot and the question of the 215s came up, as many are saying there is a stability problem with them.

I am currently using the 230gr Berger but I think I am gonna switch to the Hornady 225. I did shoot it there over their doppler with the APO 300WM and it was spot on with their software. I used a 0 form factor for that load and it was deadly to 2k at the Hornady range.

Now that everyone is getting doppler they are noticing some erratic paths with the Bergers. (mainly the 215) but I did hear minor grumbling about the 230s, I chalked it to up to a poor twist choice with that bullet as my success was well documented.

Just finished load development with the 230 Hybrid Target in my new 9.5" tw brl. Now I have a box of the 225 ELD-M to try. Once I'm done I'll see what I can do with it.

Can anyone provide the 225ELD Match OAL and Base to Ogive specs? I emailed Hornady, but no response.

I’ve used a g7 bc of .367 in my 300wm, and it matched exactly at 1k. A g1 of .730 matches my g7 drop at 1k. (225gr eld-m @2797fps, 45*f, 45%humidity, 54ft above sea level, 30.383inhg.)

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    I loaded up the 225's on top of my 230 Hybrid load with only an adjustment for seating depth. 100yd zero was identical as was the trajectory @ 922yds. The 225's were a tad slower than the Bergers yet hit the same plate with the same dope.
    Waiting for the snow line to rise enough to get up to my ELR spot.
    Will report back when I get to shoot them head to head @ ELR.

Great info here! I am currently working with the 225eld's. Found a node with low ES, now testing to see if I need to adjust seating depth. Will be testing out to 2000+ yards once I get my load squared away.

Update.
    I was able to take my head to head comparison to 1400+ yds yesterday. Primarily I was fire forming new brass so my MV was slightly lower than my formed brass but since I had loaded up 20 of each for the comparison I figured it would be worthwhile. The weather wasn't great for doing a test like this either as it was partly cloudy with winds 5-8+ through the valley I was shooting across. I was also truing/verifying my software for both of these bullets. In a nutshell the 225ELD shot just as well overall as the 230 Hybrid and needed 1 full MOA less elevation even though they were being launched a little slower. Conditions were as follows.
    300WM- 28" Benchmark 1:9.5"
    St. Press: 27.96" By end of the session had increased to 27.97"
    Temp: 45*F By end of session had increased to 46*
    Humid: 53% and falling. By end of session had dropped to 39%
    Elevation: 1970'asl For the 4DOF solver
    Range: 1417 yds taken with KILO2400 off reflectors on the tgt stand.
    Declination: -6*
    48.66* N Lat with 210* Azimuth
    MV 225 ELD: 2810 fps measured by free floating Magnetospeed.
    MV 230 Hyb: 2821 fps.
    Light was very bright to overcast, and not at both locations at the same time most of the time. Mirage was terrible a lot of the time. TGT was seen moving +/- 1/2 MOA on a regular basis but occasionally I had everything fall in line to get accurate dope on tgt.
    Wind was from L-R at 5-8+ in the valley with marked differences in speed, and direction at both tgt, and FFP.
    Final DOPE for the 225 ELD was 43.25-43.5 MOA. Actually split the difference. 1 click brought it from low to high, on TGT vs watermark on tgt.
    Final DOPE for the 230 Hybrid was 44.25-44.5 MOA. Same thing with 1 click moving too high, or too low vs watermark.
    My SD for the 225 ELD was 7.2 fps for the 1st 10 rnds, increasing to 11.4 by the end of the string of 20.
    SD for the 230 Hyb was much higher. 13.0-13.2 for 1st 10, and all 20. I've seen this with formed brass as well and think it may be that I need to increase the neck tension as the 225's take more force to seat vs the 230's with identically prepped brass.
    Though from what I'm seeing I may not mess with it. I think I'm going to run the 225's.
    Next time the weather allows I have another 20ea. of both bullets in identically prepped 7th fired brass that I will test @ 1700 yds. Hopefully it will be cloudy with lighter winds..

Bigwheels
    How far off of the lands did you end up with the 225 eld-m. I have a 10 twist benchmark barrel and I can't seem to find a good load with the 225. The 215 and 230 hybrids shoot great out of this barrel.
    Thanks

I'm at .005" off the lands. Curiously both bullets use the same charge weight & distance from the lands. And both shoot about .16 moa groups if I do my part.

I haven't tried that close. .16 moa is some great shooting. Thanks for the info, I will give .005 a try.
    Jon

I did a round robin starting @ the lands moving away in .005" increments. It liked .005" followed by .010" the best. Tried .007" with no noticeable change.

Another update.
    I had beautiful shooting conditions in the morning on Saturday & did the real test with identically prepared 7th fired brass. Used the same range with overcast & 1mph wind to fire 10ea of the 225's & 230gr.
    Results were consistent with the last test. MV was normal for these loads & again the 225's needed a moa less elevation than the faster 230gr.
    After this we moved out to 1713yd & performed the test again. Unfortunately by this time the sun came out & the wind increased while also fishtailing. Mirage became horrible but was able to get a few hits on tgt anyway. Again the 225's needed less elevation than the faster 230gr. I'm making the switch to the 225 ELD-M & not looking back.

I have a 300nm 26inch 1:10 twist barrel that I have tested the 225eld with. It is very accurate with H1000. I had to adjust the g7 bc to .360 to be dead on at 1067 yards. I took it out to 1630 yards so far and that bc held true out to that distance. I am at 1850ft above sea level. My avg velocity is 2980fps.

Another update took it out to 2035 yards and still the g7 .360 held true. Great hits by the way at that distance.

I have also finished my testing & my MV & BC using FFS is 2810 & .815G1. Tracks perfectly from 750-1700yds.

That's crazy how our numbers are so different but still work. I shot out to 2218 yards yesterday and had a cold bore impact.

Wanted to bring this back up.

Anyone have data past 2200 yards on the 300nm load?

Looking at an ELR class and was told that 1-10 twist (which 8 have) was too slow and I needed 1-9.

Reactions: necktwist
    Wanted to bring this back up.

Anyone have data past 2200 yards on the 300nm load?

Looking at an ELR class and was told that 1-10 twist (which 8 have) was too slow and I needed 1-9.
    Old thread.. but did you ever get this sorted out? was the 1:9 needed and if so.. why?