• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

225ELDM Redesigned

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Just opened a new lot of 225's & found that the boat tail is longer with a different angle. They're also .030" longer & average 225.5gr as weighed by my FX120i.
    Check this out.
    1590899946703554953349637512354.jpg

Did a quick test @ 1440yds & the new ones consistently hit .2-.3 mil higher all else being equal. Im going to test again & check mv too. I like better performance but wasn't expecting the change.

Did a quick test @ 1440yds & the new ones consistently hit .2-.3 mil higher all else being equal. Im going to test again & check mv too. I like better performance but wasn't expecting the change.
    What lot # had you been working off of? I have some for load development, but would rather not waste time working them up just to have to start over because they were redesigned. Thanks.

Old lot #2170498 have almost 1600 of these & another lot down the tube. They were the same.
    New changed lot #2181102 just opened the 1st box of a 1000 pack & noticed the difference.
    I'm going to call Hornaday tomorrow about this. I've had professional waterproof data pages for these made 2 years ago. Not wanting to have to buy new ones.

I use, and like, a lot of hornady stuff, but they seem to do this quite often. Ran into the same thing a while back with some of their .224 bullets. Also found a similar situation with their 208gr a-max( yeah, I know they're discontinued, but still).

Called Hornady this morning & talked to someone about it. He confirmed that they did redesign the bullet. They didn't let anyone know & the guy didn't even know until he looked at the data. So now I have to rechec all my data, & my load. Let's just say that I'm not happy about it. I also asked about a new BC but he said that it didn't change. I call BS on that.
    I shot 6/ea of each & clearly had 2 groups. It could be the longer bullet is faster so I'll have to check that next week to be sure.

Hornady should've advised about the change to the bullet in advance, and offered the old bullet for a specified time - so that people with full range cards could've had the option to buy enough bullets to finish out their barrel.

So you’re not happy about a redesigned bullet that gives you better down range ballistics?
    I THINK what's pissing the OP off is what I was talking about. If you've spent a bunch of time and effort building and testing your loads, you hate to have to throw your dope out and start over. All new testing, new range cards, etc. Even if it was exactly the same as the old bullet, you wouldn't know without going through the process.

Reactions: culater
    Exactly! I don't mind an increase in performance but they should have warned me. Now I have to basically start over. I'm only about 1/2 way through this barrel.

I have Bergers too but this barrel didn't like them. I bought 2k of these 225's but the 1k lots weren't the same. The 1st lot I bought were of the old version too. Just so happens that I opened this lot last & found the difference.

• Sad
    Reactions: jasent
    Old lot #2170498 have almost 1600 of these & another lot down the tube. They were the same.
    New changed lot #2181102 just opened the 1st box of a 1000 pack & noticed the difference.
    I'm going to call Hornaday tomorrow about this. I've had professional waterproof data pages for these made 2 years ago. Not wanting to have to buy new ones.

I noticed this a year ago and asked hornady about it. They indicated the design was changed to improve transonic performance. Additionally they changed tip material for what I believe were proprietary issues with the original material. Bottom line is dont purchase any lots of these bullets that don't start with at least 218xxxx. Fortunately, I only purchased 100 bullets of the old design. They also updated the ballistic info for these projectiles in their 4DoF calculator a while back and I suspect this is due to the design change.

They told me there was no BC change but I'm not so sure. My 1st head to head test of these showed a .2-.3 difference. My second test I chrony'd them & they were a touch faster which would explain why. But dope calculated vs actual was still on so until I get some better weather to test again I can't say conclusively yet. They were quite accurate. Blew a .2 tall by .3 wide rock into so much gravel @ 1440yds. Was boring 😴

They told me there was no BC change but I'm not so sure. My 1st head to head test of these showed a .2-.3 difference. My second test I chrony'd them & they were a touch faster which would explain why. But dope calculated vs actual was still on so until I get some better weather to test again I can't say conclusively yet. They were quite accurate. Blew a .2 tall by .3 wide rock into so much gravel @ 1440yds. Was boring 😴
    What powder are you using with these? powder availability is sketchy around here at the moment, but I do have some H1000, RL22, and H4831sc.

I finally have a range within reasonable driving distance to stretch this rifle out, so hope to get out in a few days and try out some of the loads I've put together and see if any are worth the effort to load more.

I've found 76.8gr H1000, Fed 215 GMM primers in Win cases works well. 2882fps , 6fps SD. .030" off lands. 26" barrel.

I've found 76.8gr H1000, Fed 215 GMM primers in Win cases works well. 2882fps , 6fps SD. .030" off lands. 26" barrel.
    Thanks for that recipe. I've got all that, with the exception of brass. Mine is ADG, so my max will probably be down a bit from yours. That brass is thick, but unless you're running a compressed load, it should work out. I'll work up just the same.

About a year ago Midway had what appeared to be some pre-production 225 ELD blems on sale. The newer batches (218xxxx) appear to use this new design. I’ve had good luck with the newer 225’s out to 2200yds.

Attachments

• DA713BA8-FCD0-435D-AB56-B1D449BCD18A.jpeg
      DA713BA8-FCD0-435D-AB56-B1D449BCD18A.jpeg
      523.8 KB · Views: 52

After about 60 rounds the krieger barrel gained about 40fps. I was a bit high and so remeasured the same load and that's when i saw the increase. Now running about 2920fps with same lots of all components.

The Hornady 4dof app is very close with a 1.0 form factor but I've only gone to 550yards. I'd love to try it out to transonic distance to get the calculator really dialed in.

Any body else using the 4dof with latest bullet? If so how is it working for you?

After about 60 rounds the krieger barrel gained about 40fps. I was a bit high and so remeasured the same load and that's when i saw the increase. Now running about 2920fps with same lots of all components.

The Hornady 4dof app is very close with a 1.0 form factor but I've only gone to 550yards. I'd love to try it out to transonic distance to get the calculator really dialed in.

Any body else using the 4dof with latest bullet? If so how is it working for you?
    I have been using the 4Dof to distances of 2200yds to 2900yds out at Spearpoint Ranch. Half of my flight time is in the transonic and I've found that a form factor of 1.10 gets me the most accurate solution. In StrelokPro a matching dope nets me a G7 of .3660(ish). I feel that the 4Dof has a much more accurate profile for the 225's than a G7 would get you, especially at the extreme distances. I have to use a multi-step G7 in order to get corresponding drops in Strelok.

225's (newer design) @ 2913fps, 1:10 twist, 27" X-Caliber barrel.
    73.62gn H1000, ADG Brass, 3.539" OAL (.065" jump).

As they say, every barrel is different and your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
    Reactions: maksim
    I have been using the 4Dof to distances of 2200yds to 2900yds out at Spearpoint Ranch. Half of my flight time is in the transonic and I've found that a form factor of 1.10 gets me the most accurate solution. In StrelokPro a matching dope nets me a G7 of .3660(ish). I feel that the 4Dof has a much more accurate profile for the 225's than a G7 would get you, especially at the extreme distances. I have to use a multi-step G7 in order to get corresponding drops in Strelok.

225's (newer design) @ 2913fps, 1:10 twist, 27" X-Caliber barrel.
    73.62gn H1000, ADG Brass, 3.539" OAL (.065" jump).

As they say, every barrel is different and your mileage may vary.

How does the 1.1 form factor work at shorter (supersonic) ranges?

That makes me feel a little better. The lot number on the box I have is 219xxx. I started putting some test loads together last night with the 225's, H1000, ADG brass and fed 215 primers. I'm starting mine .010' jammed and working them back. Shooting them out of a bone stock RPR. I shot that rifle for the first time last week and was ecstatic with how it performed. Was only shooting at 109 yds, but the second group was 1/2 moa. To say I was pleased would be an understatement.

Got the call today from Benchmark. My new 28" LH 9.5-8.75 gain twist is ready for chambering & brake installation. So this weekend I'm going to shoot the rest of my loaded old batch & draft over. Now if only my can could be released too...

Reactions: NCHillbilly
    Shot the new 225 ELD’s this weekend at Spearpoint. Connected at 2903yds. Ended up with a Hornady 4Dof of 1.9 and a banded G7 in StrelokPro of:

.380 @ 2512fps
    .375 @ 2233fps
    .356 @ 1954fps

Very consistent bullet in the transonic, goes right where you tell it!

Attachments

• 07274C5E-739C-47F3-9178-494A07027561.jpeg
      07274C5E-739C-47F3-9178-494A07027561.jpeg
      658 KB · Views: 31
    Last edited:
    Thats good to know. I don't know why but so far I've never seen a splash from the old ones past 2000yds. Could be mountain winds but IDK. Didn't have the problem with the 230 burgers out to 2300+/- but these? Nada. Going to drop off the action for the new barrel tomorrow & will start all over again with the LHGT 9.5-8.75 in a couple weeks. :cool: