• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 225gr ELDM Flying Sidewise?

dukerugger25

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Utah
Has anyone seen a 225gr ELDM (.308) break apart or fly sidewise like a hot dog? I've seen it in the 147gr 6.5's, but this is the first 225 i have had it happen with. I'm shooting out of a 300PRC @ 2945FPS, handloads. Shots were at 200 yds. Middle shot is the one that impacted Sidewise, yes, there are 3 impacts there.

20191208_113428.jpg

Is it possible that the paper just tore that way?
It looks like you put two through the hole on the left and the second one tore out the connecting paper between the other hole on the right.
I also doubt the bullet would fly that accurately sideways for 200yds to impact onto of the other two rounds.

Paper tear. Hornady makes awesome bullets.

99.9% of Hornady bullet failures are user error.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really hope that's what it was. Looking forward to using this rifle for spring bear!

You could get some card stock paper and shoot to varify nice round holes.

Worn backstop, paper rips on a jagged edge.

If you want nice, clean, round and pretty holes in your targets, use a section of rubber conveyor belt or horse stall matting.

Otherwise, use thick cardboard.
Corroplast is okay.
Wood splinters and makes a terrible backing.

Some people like to use thick foams. Some work better than others.

The key to getting clean holes is the backing must be flat. The target must be flat on the backing and the backing should support the target without breaking towards the shooter.

If you want nice, clean, round and pretty holes in your targets, use a section of rubber conveyor belt or horse stall matting.

Otherwise, use thick cardboard.
Corroplast is okay.
Wood splinters and makes a terrible backing.

Some people like to use thick foams. Some work better than others.

The key to getting clean holes is the backing must be flat. The target must be flat on the backing and the backing should support the target without breaking towards the shooter.
I use 65lb cardstock with stick on orange dots. Then press FIRMLY on the cardboard and sample.

A lot of public and club ranges ar very particular on materials they allow to be used .

Fresh cardboard, cardstock paper are generally accepted.

Other materials may be frowned upon.

The Target paper is 110lb stock, so pretty durable.

I will keep a lookout for any future tears of this nature, etc.

That would be a hell of a group with a tumbling round! I haven't experience much key holing but at 200yrd I would think the round that started to tumble wouldn't impact within 1/4" of your previous shots. BUT like I said, thats just my guess.

That would be a hell of a group with a tumbling round! I haven't experience much key holing but at 200yrd I would think the round that started to tumble wouldn't impact within 1/4" of your previous shots. BUT like I said, thats just my guess.

Great points, exactly why I wanted to post the question here. Feeling better now that I'm not under-twisted w/a 9.5....

I have a 9.5" tw 28" shooting 225ELDM @ 2800 + & have never seen a keyhole. I have just under 1400rnds through it now.