• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 22BR barrel life?

cjgemm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2006
York, PA
Looking to get a 22cal barrel for my M2008 was wondering what kind of barrel life I could expect.

Re: 22BR barrel life?

So what exactly is "longer/better than the 22-250"? Google d for a couple hours last night and that's all I could find.

Really wish a .378 bolt was avail. for the M2008. the choice would be easy then.

Re: 22BR barrel life?

I've been looking into going the other way and keeping the .473" diameter cartridge base. This brings me to the 30BR. It's become the BR For-Score dominant chambering.

While I can appreciate the desire for a .22 cartridge, my needs involve paper targets; and very simply, a larger caliber cuts more lines.

When you get down to it, the .22-250 doesn't need to be such a bore burner <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> you open up our mind to downloading it.

The case capacity can be daunting, but loading it up with a slower powder, or using a filler, like farina or dacron, can render its bore unfriendliness into a much more tame kitty.

I actually ran fractional loads using the 52SMK and 9gr of Unique with the .22-250. Some powders, like Unique, are very compatible with fractional loading and don't seem to care much about charge orientation. Not good in the wind, but it never even got the barrel hot, and was very accurate in calm conditions. I figure something a tad more rambunctious might also serve.

Meanwhile, if you really need to drill some out there, the .22-250 will git 'er done, too.

Greg