• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22br vs 22x47 in short barrel

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I want to order a new barrel during the Black Friday sales and need help choosing which would be best for me. It’s going on a seekins havak and I want 16-18” barrel for predator hunting. I have hundreds of 6br and 6.5x47 brass already so would like to stick with either the 22br or 22x47. Bullet weights between 50-60gn preferable 53vmax since I’m stocked up on those. And my powder on hand is Tac, cfe223, pp2000mr, 4166, n150.

Are either of these known to be easier to load for? Which would best match my current components? And with the short barrel is there really anything to gain with the larger 22x47 or just burning more powder and shorter barrel life.

Thanks!

They’re both nice case designs, but most would probably agree the BR is very easy to load for. The 47 will be faster, just as it would be in a long barrel. The 47 will feed better more than likely.

Could I expect an 18” 22br to give the same velocities or close to a 24” 223ai with the same bullet? I believe I’m running around 3200fps with 55 nbt out of my 223ai

Looks like a BR with a 24” barrel will launch a 55 gr bullet at roughly 3400 fps. You’ll lose 180-200 fps with an 18” barrel. So almost identical performance to your current 223 AI.

What does a 22 BR do in a 24” barrel? Take that figure and subtract 30 fps per inch of barrel lost.
I've been lusting over a 22BRA in a short barrel myself. From what little research I've done lately, the 22BRA is roughly 200FPS faster than a 223 of the same barrel length. Hopefully this helps give you an idea...

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
Well that’s right about where I want to be. I am happy with the 223ai performance but want a shorter barrel for the can.

Reactions: stello1001
I know your looking at a short barrel. But I have a 22x47 in 24 inches and run 75s at 3600 with h4350. It punches through ar500 within 200 yards.

I've been lusting

I've been lusting over a 22BRA in a short barrel myself. From what little research I've done lately, the 22BRA is roughly 200FPS faster than a 223 of the same barrel length. Hopefully this helps give you an idea...
I found some data at Hodgdon that suggested the same.

In the OP’s situation, i’d likely go 22x47. Same stout brass, with none of the feeding issues that come with the BR, and an easy 100+ fps bump in speed.

Reactions: stello1001
Feeding is a good point. A friend runs a 6br with no issues but I have seen a few people at the range struggle. I’m currently waiting on my first 6br barrel so no first hand experience with feeding.

Thanks for chiming in orkan. That is really nice velocity. I bought some mdt 6br mags already so will give those a try and if they don’t work out I will let you know.

I want to order a new barrel during the Black Friday sales and need help choosing which would be best for me. It’s going on a seekins havak and I want 16-18” barrel for predator hunting. I have hundreds of 6br and 6.5x47 brass already so would like to stick with either the 22br or 22x47. Bullet weights between 50-60gn preferable 53vmax since I’m stocked up on those. And my powder on hand is Tac, cfe223, pp2000mr, 4166, n150.

Are either of these known to be easier to load for? Which would best match my current components? And with the short barrel is there really anything to gain with the larger 22x47 or just burning more powder and shorter barrel life.

Thanks!
What are your hunting distances and how many rounds do you think you'll shoot a year? I only ask because if you plan on keeping the distances limited and want to shoot a lot I would think the better barrel life of the 22br would be beneficial. If you plan on taking some long shots and don't plan on shooting it a lot or you don't mind going through barrels then I'd opt for the 22x47. I've used pp2000mr in my 22br but it was with 88s in a 28" barrel. I don't have a 22x47 but I do have a 22 creed(should perform similarly) with a 20" barrel and I run 88s at 3100fps with H4350.

I haven’t had a need to shoot a coyote past 250 yards yet. I am comfortable out to 400. My 223ai has performed beautifully but it’s 24 long, heavy, and not threaded. I considered cutting it down and threading it but the local shops are almost $200 which Black Friday sales should get nice barrel only about double that. And cutting it down would ruin the purpose of it as my trainer for my match gun.

I’m strongly leaning toward the 22br. In my mind a coyote can only get so dead and longer barrel life and less powder are a good thing. Plus possibly a bit more fur friendly.