• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22cm issues

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Bought a barrel awhile back that was chambered by a well known outfit and very reputable. I had some gnarley pressure issues after about 3 rounds fired which would subside after the barrel was left to cool down. Ran 38.2gr h4350 with 80gr VLD’s with nothing but pressure. Got the rifle back from bedding recently and wanted to try to figure this thing out shooting both 55gr Nosler BT bullets with 39gr h4350 and 80.5gr Berger full bore with 36gr h4350 and still experiencing some pressure. The later loads mentioned fall under the max charge weights Peterson recommended and tested. The trigger is doing some weird shit too when firing, like it breaks, then breaks again. Dry firing, no issues with trigger. Barrel has been cleaned well multiple times and has approx 150 rounds on it.

My setup is as follows:

Terminus Zeus QC
    20” Proof carbon straight taper 8tw
    Thunderbeast Magnus SR
    Alpha SRP ocd brass
    Whidden 22cm fl bushing die

Both brands of bullets are seated 20k off lands

Bumping shoulders 2thou and running 2 thou neck tension.

Speeds are meh. Running 2900 with the 80.5’s and 3200 with the 55’s though I did have one 55gr bullet going 3400 for whatever reason. I’m at a loss but I wanted some input before asking my gunsmith, the folks that did the barrel, and lastly Proof.

Would it be worth exploring a slower powder for the 80.5’s and even the 55’s? Maybe running my ultra 9 instead of the Magnus for a little less backpressure?

DSC_4974.jpeg

Case neck catching in the throat?
    All cases under trim lenght?
    Other than that it may just be a tight bore.

When you say pressure are you having difficulty extracting, deformation on case head and flattened/cratered primers?

Case neck catching in the throat?
    All cases under trim lenght?
    Other than that it may just be a tight bore.

When you say pressure are you having difficulty extracting, deformation on case head and flattened/cratered primers?

Heavy bolt lift with very distinct ejector imprints/ ejector swipe. Cases are under trim length, necks are snug on a bullet but do fit over a bullet. It being a tight bore would not necessarily surprise me as the rumor mill has suggested proof has had issues with out of spec barrels.

I should add, pressure issues were still present with out the can and just running the SR brake as well.

I shall do that! Thank you!

Measure loaded case neck OD vs a fired case. You might not have enough room.

Being a titebore, all bets are off.

So I measured fired vs loaded neck diameter and it is as follows

Fired: 0.254”

Loaded: 0.252”

i also found that my SAC creedmoor die sizes the base/ case web area about a 1thou more than the whidden die I have specific for the 22cm. Whether that makes a difference, I don’t know.

Proof stands behind their barrels In my experience. They quickly replaced mine which had a bad chamber.

Reactions: Krob95
    If fired is larger than loaded it shouldn't be grabbing. Are you noting any resistance when chambering?

Muzzle devices will make no difference to peak pressure.

Looks like all the hogdon load data for 22 cm is for slower powders than H4350 (ADI AR2209) especially for the heavies, can you get Retumbo(AR2225) or H1000 (AR2217) to try, I didn't check earlier as I assumed with a build like that you would be using a common load. I suspect you are two or three powders too fast to get the best from that catridge at spec pressure which would explain why you aren't seeing expected velocity without significant case expansion.

Screenshot_20240203_231315_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Krob95
    If fired is larger than loaded it shouldn't be grabbing. Are you noting any resistance when chambering?

Muzzle devices will make no difference to peak pressure.

Looks like all the hogdon load data for 22 cm is for slower powders than H4350 (ADI AR2209) especially for the heavies, can you get Retumbo(AR2225) or H1000 (AR2217) to try, I didn't check earlier as I assumed with a build like that you would be using a common load. I suspect you are two or three powders too fast to get the best from that catridge at spec pressure which would explain why you aren't seeing expected velocity without significant case expansion.

View attachment 8339745

Thank you for that chart. I have h1000 on hand, just would hate to use it for this caliber. Also have rl26 and n555 too. I will try the slower powders and see what happens. Thank you again!

Reactions: Slides
    243w/6CM is already approaching "magnum" I think 22cm is definitely there based on that Hogdon data.

These component shortages are a bit frustrating. I'm probably fortunate that I have steadily collected primers, projectiles and powders. The rifle powers from 2208 up to 2225 have become easier to get here in Australia again, although you could usually get them somewhere previously if not local. I bought a heap of federal match LRP and MLRP years ago, grabbed RUAG SRP and some more Indian LRP to play with as well. The only US large rifle primers anyone has seen recently is a few Remington. Apparently a shipping container from a smaller US manufacturer is on the way.

All the F-class guys hate regular Hornady projectiles but they are struggling to get the Bergers here, I'm happy to run ELDM/X for sporter class/hunting/steel but will run ATIPS for competition in F-class with 6BR, might try to give 7PRC a run too.