• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR ammo in precision rifle

Bgriff008

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2021
Columbus Ohio
So I tried to search for a topic and came up empty. Are there any concerns using the lesser quality 22LR ammo out of a precision rifle for plinking purposes. Golden Bullet. WIN white box, Federal auto match, cci blazer, WIN M22; cci sub sonic. I have all that is listed and was curious about use. Thanks.

No, none that I can think of. In my experience though it will mostly be an exercise in frustration. Cheap ammo in a precision firearm usually results in disappointment on paper. YMMV

If I'm just derping around plinking clays I'll just take my 10/22 out.

Reactions: Kenmc
No, none that I can think of. In my experience though it will mostly be an exercise in frustration. Cheap ammo in a precision firearm usually results in disappointment on paper. YMMV

If I'm just derping around plinking clays I'll just take my 10/22 out.
It would be more for my son shooting oversized targets (metal) to gain confidence. Not so much tight groups. I have a Ruger SR22 as well but want him familiar with the rifle.

Just be careful of longer ones if you have a match chamber. And like AMan... said be prepared for disappointment.

It would be more for my son shooting oversized targets (metal) to gain confidence. Not so much tight groups. I have a Ruger SR22 as well but want him familiar with the rifle.
You may want to look (when ammo is available anyway) into some of the cheaper alternatives in the same line of ammunition.

For example, I run Eley Tenex and Match through my Anschutz almost exclusively, but I would have no problem shooting the much less expensive Eley Club or Eley Sport if I was teaching / familiarizing a new shooter on the rifle.

I've heard running copper plated ammo through your match chamber just gunks it up pretty quick. If you're going to run crappy ammo, try to keep it at the subsonic, non copper plated ammo.
Ok so black tipped rounds which is my CCI, match, and M22

You may want to look (when ammo is available anyway) into some of the cheaper alternatives in the same line of ammunition.

For example, I run Eley Tenex and Match through my Anschutz almost exclusively, but I would have no problem shooting the much less expensive Eley Club or Eley Sport if I was teaching / familiarizing a new shooter on the rifle.
Ok. My buddy gave a box of Eley and 2 boxes of sks. But I have tone of the other not so quality 22LR.

Mr Steve B w/Anschutz North America told that he had zero qualms about running copper plated ammo out his guns.

I’ve stuck to lead slugs in my Annie’s but if I was casually plinking I wouldn’t think twice.
Minute of soda can just isn’t that fun to me....but if I was running low on ammo or had a new shooter to train cheap ammo would do fine.

One way to make cheaper ammo a little bit better is a Waltz die. You will still have velocity variations to deal with that will have an impact on elevation at distance. The Waltz die wont fix that.

Reactions: Bgriff008
So I tried to search for a topic and came up empty. Are there any concerns using the lesser quality 22LR ammo out of a precision rifle for plinking purposes. Golden Bullet. WIN white box, Federal auto match, cci blazer, WIN M22; cci sub sonic. I have all that is listed and was curious about use. Thanks.
These days, it may be what ammo you can get vs what you want. I keep the copper ammo out my precision rifles. I do shoot CCI SV in them.

Reactions: Bgriff008