• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Ammo

Southern Hunter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2022
Louisiana
I’m currently shooting CCI Standard Velocity 40gr and with my setup they shoot really good groups!

I’m wanting to shoot something with a bit more “oomph”…..now, I know these are not what a 22LR is for, but I want to get the most out of what I have! I want it for situations such as close range yotes, foxes, hogs in traps, etc….assuming all head shots 50yds or less.

The 2 choices I have in mind are both CCI Ammo…..40gr Velocitors vs 32gr Stingers. Do I go lighter/faster with the Stingers or a bit less speed but more weight with the Velocitors?

Stingers 32gr 1640fps
Velocitors 40gr 1435fps

Center X if you can find it...
or R50 ammo
Uhm, did you even read the purpose that the OP wants this ammo? I think not.

Reactions: JKW70
Close range, in a trap, anything .22lr should be fine for your needs.

Center X if you can find it...
or R50 ammo
Someone didn't read the OP. 🤣

Reactions: Williwaw and lash
As long as you are going for head shots and passing up anything that may be marginal , standard velocity ( with MUCH more inherent accuracy than anything high or hyper velocity ) is fine. If you want more energy I would personally go velocitor with the heavier 40g bullet as opposed to most hyper velocity rounds which get speed at the expense of bullet weight

Reactions: lash
Wow, I had very different results with the CCI coppers. Terrible even at 50 yards, not even minute of crow.

Wow, I had very different results with the CCI coppers. Terrible even at 50 yards, not even minute of crow.
B14R steel. 50 yards about .35” hole. 100 yards, about 1.2” hole.
I guess that not minute of crow HEAD.

CCI Copper22? :ROFLMAO:

6 inches of spread at 50 yards, 17 inches at 100 yards.
That was off the bench from a 455 Lilja.
Chrony numbers reeked, visible seating problems, blech! :cautious:

I’m currently shooting CCI Standard Velocity 40gr and with my setup they shoot really good groups!

I’m wanting to shoot something with a bit more “oomph”…..now, I know these are not what a 22LR is for, but I want to get the most out of what I have! I want it for situations such as close range yotes, foxes, hogs in traps, etc….assuming all head shots 50yds or less.

The 2 choices I have in mind are both CCI Ammo…..40gr Velocitors vs 32gr Stingers. Do I go lighter/faster with the Stingers or a bit less speed but more weight with the Velocitors?

Stingers 32gr 1640fps
Velocitors 40gr 1435fps
Stingers will not chamber in a match chamber. I use CCI Mini mag's 36gr HP bullet at 1255fps.

Stingers 32gr 1640fps
Velocitors 40gr 1435fps
22lr ammo less than 1100fps was not intended to be used on animals over rodent size if that!

22lr ammo less than 1100fps was not intended to be used on animals over rodent size if that!

That's not true at all, I've killed a shit load of big groundhogs and foxes with subsonic hollow points and I've killed them with the high velocity stuff and there's literally zero difference in them. Most of the hollow points like the Norma and CCI subsonic for example work pretty good, much better than non HP's so the bullet is absolutely doing its job even at those velocities. I've emptied a full 10rd mag of supersonic solids from a 10/22 into a groundhog more than once and had them make it all the way back to the hole whereas with the subsonic HP is almost always a one shot deal even at 100 yards. Same for CCI SV, it just doesn't kill like the hollow points.

I'd try to find something that is more aligned with match-grade ammo. These Eley High Velocity HP is what I'd try first.
I very much agree with @redneckbmxer24 post above. Even doing rat pest control, there's a huge difference between solid & hollow point projectiles.

Since this is a ammo thread, I would like to point out that Champions Choice seems to have a bunch of high quality .22 ammo in stock as x2cross pointed out. Eley in various flavors, Lapua (Center X and Midas +), and even SK Rifle Match and LR Match at good prices. You need to call to order it apparently but having bought from them before that seems GTG at good deal prices considering the scarcity of match ammo right recently.

Reactions: MJF and Dawhit
Federal Punch works well inside 100 out of my Bergara. Beyond that things got wildly inaccurate.

I've had some good success with Velocitors and Mini Mags from a CZ455.

In 40 grain HV ammo I like Win Super X. I’m sure some will have horror stories but it has worked for me.
The Aguila 60 SSS ammo is superb if it shoots in your set up. I have several that shoot it decent. Not match grade but definite “kill grade”

I, too, like Win Super X Power Points for small critters.

JFR

Energy-wise, Stinger has more at the muzzle, but Velocitor retains more at distance. Both leave SV in the dust.
SV: Muzzle 102fp 50yd 85fp
Stinger: Muzzle 191fp 50yd 119fp
Velocitor: Muzzle 183fp 50yd 134fp
That said, a long time trap line favorite is the 22WMR, for comparision:
Maxi-Mag: Muzzle 312fp 50yd 220fp