• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Barrel Break in

awaken

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2006
Brisbane / Australia
Picking up my new Savage MK II FV soon, Do you recommend a running in procedure? I have never bought a brand new rimfire so I'm unsure

Thanks

Dave

Re: 22LR Barrel Breal in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Load and shoot. Don't clean the barrel. .22's like to run dirty. They call it "seasoning".

Just wipe out the action after shooting. </div></div>

1+. In fact, you will probably do more harm during cleaning it than actually shooting it. Have fun with the stick.

Still laffin after reading title

Maybe its just me but that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy funny

hmmmm on harm intended

Guess it could of read "Red Rider barrel break in"

sorry, that made my day

Hey!!! I used to polish my red rider barrel all the time. There was this recipe my great great grandaddy's uncle gave me. It was a pint of WD40 mixed with acetone and gasoline in equal proportions. Then you'd light a match and fire. It was cool as heck. All sort of crap would come out the barrel and it would get 1"groups at 200 yards all day long after that.

I just bought my son a savage mk11. It has a drilled and tapped receiver, rather than the traditional grooved receiver. Had some issues with finding correct info on what scope mounts to use, got different stories from different shops. Ended up getting the correct info from Weaver, but had to order the mounts in, as all the major stores didn't stock them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camp carnage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought my son a savage mk11. It has a drilled and tapped receiver, rather than the traditional grooved receiver. Had some issues with finding correct info on what scope mounts to use, got different stories from different shops. Ended up getting the correct info from Weaver, but had to order the mounts in, as all the major stores didn't stock them. </div></div>

Did it come with mounts supplied?

no mounts supplied. I got it brand new from Horsley Park for $345. I ended up putting weaver 24's on it, because they're a bit thicker and I wanted to make sure the scope clears the iron sights. (it's a mark 11f)

Now this is some high quality, safe information to be propogating....not.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey!!! I used to polish my red rider barrel all the time. There was this recipe my great great grandaddy's uncle gave me. It was a pint of WD40 mixed with acetone and gasoline in equal proportions. Then you'd light a match and fire. It was cool as heck. All sort of crap would come out the barrel and it would get 1"groups at 200 yards all day long after that. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey!!! I used to polish my red rider barrel all the time. There was this recipe my great great grandaddy's uncle gave me. It was a pint of WD40 mixed with acetone and gasoline in equal proportions. Then you'd light a match and fire. It was cool as heck. All sort of crap would come out the barrel and it would get 1"groups at 200 yards all day long after that. </div></div>

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh man, that really brightened my day. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karl2U</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still laffin after reading title

Maybe its just me but that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy funny

hmmmm on harm intended

Guess it could of read "Red Rider barrel break in"

sorry, that made my day </div></div>

What if the first time I shot the rifle I used Remington Golden Bullets that have a copper wash? Does this make a difference?

I didn't even think about it when I went to shoot the rifle for the first time. I usually shoot handguns and chrome lined AR-15s so I don't bother with any kind of break in. My .22lr is my first new bolt gun, all my others are mil-surp. I shot maybe 50-75 rounds of the Golden Bullets through my Savage Mako the first time I shot it. I simply sprayed some S&W bore cleaner down the bore, made one pass with a bore snake and it was spotless. Should I worry?

Re: 22LR Barrel Break in

Well, I signed up here, may as well get my first post out of the way...

No, no need for any breakin procedure but you may find that it will break in over time and shoot better a thousand rounds from now than it does when it's new.

Personally, I like to keep them clean. Maybe it's just a state of mind but all mine shoot better clean. Doesn't take much. Only way to know is experiment.

To the other poster, Remington rimfire ammo is pretty dirty as far as powder fouling goes but copper washed bullets aren't going to hurt anything.

Tony