• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Benchrest

kennyfisher4413

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Ashville, OH
Im looking to get into Benchrest competition shooting. Im on somewhat of a budget under $2000. Can anyone give me some advice as to what rifles to look into etc.. Im currently looking at a Kidd Inovations set up anyone know anything about them? OR are any better companies to go with for around the same price? Any advice is appriciated. Thanks

Re: .22LR Benchrest

KID barrels are real nice, but the 10/22 platform isn't really the optimum choice for benchrest competition.

I have seven 10/22s (8 if you count a Charger) and none is stock; I have 3 shooters, too.

But for this application, you really need a bolt gun, unless there's a semiauto class.

Yeah, Is there any companies that you can reccommend that may make more capable rifles for around the same price range under $1500..Im not looking to get huge into it just mainly local comps and shoots around the central ohio area. Thats why since I dont know much about building a gun myself, the Kid Supergrade would be a good route. And still fit with ion my budget and have some money left over to get a decent optic.

I've been involved with 22RF benchrest since mid year. I'm referring to the 50 yard competitions on USBR,ARA,50-50 Targets. These targets require you shoot at these official targets which each have 25 bulls with an X in the center. A perfect score would be 25 times 10 or 250 points. A typical Match is three cards (75 bulls) The best starting point with your budget would be a Remington 40X. I've seen nice ones for under $900,add a Jewell Benchrest trigger($170) and stick on a Weaver 36X scope($350). Buy the best rest that you can in the first place. You will give the other shooters a run for the money. Regards

I think that the Kidd set up is the way to go. The only think on my 10/22 that is not Kidd is the receiver. They are like any other 22 you have to find what it likes then buy as much as you can afford (SK, Wolf, ect). Is this for fun or do you want to compete at the upper levels? If it the upper levels your budget is a little light. I am not saying that it can’t be done but a lot of those guys have that in glass alone.

I shoot local comps nothing sanction and I am consistently beating out Annies, HMRs, and 40xs. Yes I have been beat by all three but after the full Kidd build, it the shooter not the rifle that beats me. FWIW Tony makes some good stuff and I would not use anything else for a 10/22.

On a side note go to some comps and see what rifles are winning. Someone with a proven rifle is always looking to upgrade, you might be able to pick up a proven rifle for 1/2 your budget or less.

It is good news that you have a local active range. I have shot at four different ranges here in Texas, but they are all 70- 80 miles from me. I went to my first one just to check things out and the welcome couldn't have been warmer. Everyone going out ot their way to help me get started. So make contact and I'll bet you get a quick invite with the only delay being waiting for spring. I practice on the USBR targets which can be bought for under $40 for 250 of them shipped. Three of the clubs I shoot matches at are 50-50 and use the 50-50 target. The match director will collect $10 in match fees, and furnish the targets of three cards that you have 20 minutes each to shoot. You will become expert at learning the wind which will really help all of your shooting. Regards
This is a link to the equipment list for the 2009 ARA 22 50 yd Benchrest Nationals showing what everyone used.
http://ara.benchrest.net/2009/2009_Nationals%20Equipment.htm

Some great setups on there all way out of my league at this point...I think im going to go with the kid supergrade custom...its not extremely expensive but not cheap either....hopefully it will be a good starter rifle in the .22LR target comp world.