• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR chamber - polishing technique?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I have a couple 22LR pistols that seem like they could use a little TLC. I'm not looking to recut or dimensionally change the chamber, just improve the surface finish.

I was thinking a Dremel tool, but I'm open to suggestions. Is there a favorite polishing wheel and compound out there?

I had an aftermarket 10/22 barrel that wasn't allowing proper extraction from a rough chamber finish.
    A couple of snug fitting patches with the red JB bore bright and maybe 30-40 strokes per patch was enough to smooth it out.

Reactions: glock24
    Take a worn out brush that fits the chamber, place a patch around it that has some JB paste applied. Swab around a few minutes then clean as usual. Take a couple of cotton Qtips, cut the head off leaving about an inch of the stem so that you put in a dremel. Put some Flitz polish on the Qtip and run into the chamber at medium speed. Do that a few times, then run a clean Qtip through, followed by a few clean patches. This should give you a nice polished chamber.

Reactions: glock24
    Use a long 22 caliber cotton bore mop. Chuck it up in a hand held drill if possible. Use whatever kind of polish you like on it.

Reactions: mick1966