• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 22lr chambering.

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I just bought a 40xb 22lr that will end up in an AICS for a trainer rifle. I will shoot it first and see how it groups. If it needs rebarreling I was just wondering if you guys use a reamer or just a boring bar? I have a solid carbide mini boring bar that is small enough to work.
Also any recomendations for barrels? I have always used Kreiger for my centerfire rifles. I havent ever messed with rebarreling a 22 before. I dont know if there is a go to company for them or if it is just like any other caliber. Hopefully it will shoot well enough that I wont need to mess with it. It was a cmp rifle so I have no idea how many rounds have ben fired but I would suspect alot. Thanks Chris

This should help get you started: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...38-who-makes-replacement-barrel-22lr-40x.html

Your round count should be irrelevant, pretty much impossible to shoot out a .22lr barrel, but cleaning and other damage could be present. My CMP 40x shoots .7moa groups at 100yds with Eley Tenex consistently, and so do many of the others out there as well. If you have a matching bolt, all the better, but mine isn't and it still shoots sweet.

Get several lots and types of ammo, give it a good cleaning and watch mixing ammunition without cleaning, and see how she runs. Frequent the rimfire forum here but be careful... The little guys are addictive as hell!

Hoser. This is chris b from Denver. We talked about the cz455 at the CRC match 2 weeks ago. I checked them out and was getting ready to order one when this 40xb caught my eye. I figured what the hell. Might as well buy what I really want. It is a matching bolt gun with new sights.
Most I have seen shot well with the original barrel but I seem to remember one of the guys at the CRC got one a while ago and it grouped terrible, hence the questions on barrels.

Hey Chris,

that might have been my CMP 40x with a PT&G bolt that I told you didn't shoot . Tried different ammo cleaning....

Had the action trued and re-barreled by 22lr gunsmith Brian Voelker, Rock Creek barrel. Not sure what reamer he used, trusted his long experience as a 22lr gunsmith and as 22lr Benchrest competitor, good guy to deal with. It shoots very well with Lapua Center X and Eley Match. I believe Hoser has a Lilja barrel on his 40x.

I'm shooting Hoser match this Saturday, 22lr side match.

Kevin. I think yours was just a barreled action when I saw it. I did not know you had issues with poor accuracy. Yours was what got me looking for one since it would drop in my chassis.
I met a guy on the 22 range there who had a complete cmp rifle and he was trying all kinds of ammo. the gun shot ok but no better than an off the shelf lower end 22. he was quite peeved. I offered to buy the gun from him but he was not interested in parting with it.
I am hoping mine will shoot well enough that I dont have to mess with it. I should know next week

Shit! Might not matter now. The rifle is missing in Alabama. Somewhere in the sorting facility usps. It is insured but it was a good deal on a matching bolt gun. Not like I can run out and buy another one for the same price.
It is 5 days overdue. Hopefully it will turn up.