• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR keyhole??

hatidua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
-at what distance, approximately, will subsonic ammo start to keyhole/tumble into targets? (or will it even occur). I've yet to see it occur on my targets...

Re: .22LR keyhole??

I've never seen a .22lr subsonic round in 40 grains ever keyhole a target from 25 to 250 yards. However, I do understand that this can happen with the 60 grain .22lr SS Aguila as the rifling twist is not correct for this round in most (if not all) factory stocked .22lr barrels. Not sure what twist is required for the keyhole "not" to happen, but I bet someone will be along to let us know.

I was curious as I shot a 16x20" piece of 3/4" plywood this past week at 425 yards and the holes through the board were still looking totally stable at that distance.

I shoot 330 yards at paper on a regular basis and have not found any key holes.

My guess is that once you start skipping them in you'll see it, and probably not before.

Those babies are spinning as fast as a dremel. They will fly straight and true until they hit something.

yea those 60grn bullets need a 9" twist or better...but they're devastating on neighborhood pests.

At 500 yards, all the bullets I picked up off the ground That had hit the steel target looked like they were hitting front first...

500yardbulletpic.jpg

500yardbulletpic2.jpg