• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Match ammo questions

Silverbullet2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
Near Seattle, Wa.
Guys,
I just took the plunge on a Kimber 82G rifle. Thanks Mark!
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/230151-wts-kimber-82g-22-cal-rifle.html
It is a proven shooter, with Eley Edge ammo. I plan on working on my standing, sitting, kneeling, so right away I don't think I'll need the Eley Edge, but I'd like to get the most bang for the buck. I have a bunch of CCI Mini Mag, and some Federal GMM, with a few boxes of Wolf Match.
Can anyone point me in the right direction on what flavor of match ammo, and where I should be looking? Thanks, guys! J

For practice you can't beat Wolf or SK....but it is really hard to find lately. I have been shooting RWS, and it seems easier to find, and it pretty consistent...
If you do plan to shoot NRA style SB matches, you need to train as you will compete, as your gun will need to settle in to the type of ammo you are using, and also you will be able to know the idiosyncrasies of the ammo, so your hold overs/under, and wind adjustments without going to your turrets will be second nature...

You should test the ammo from the bench (or prone off bipod if you're good). Then go to your other positions to practice after you've figured out what will shoot.
Also look at Ely Club. Test it and the Federal 711b, Wolf Match & Target, SKS standard plus & rifle match. Test at the distances you'll be shooting. You'll just have to watch several sites to see when the stuff comes in stock: .22 Benchrest Supplies - KSS Champion's Choice Champion Shooters Supply - Champion Shooters Supply

russ10x
yep, you are correct sir,
22lr match shooting is not cheap,(maybe more cost then centerfire)
but thats the crazy world of rimfire
op find a good lot# of what you plane to shoot an buy as much as you can,
so when match day comes, you will be ready, with no 2nd guessing.:
also test at your longest range you will be shooting in match.example,most ammo does ok at 50yd, but turn to shit
past 100yrd.find the best long range ammo, an you will be ahead of the curve