• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Optic

Enoch777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2018
I know this isn’t the optics section, but since it pertains to .22LR specific, I thought I’d get more of the helpful traffic in this section of the forum. Just wanting experiences and or opinions for a $200.00 or under optic for a young new shooter starting with a Ruger 10/22. Gun and scope are to be a gift to my nephew to get him started and I don’t want to spend a bunch on a scope, but would like as much reliability so he’s not turned off by malfunctions in the optic. Thanks!

Usually members here tend to advise to save up for better scopes. But I see the idea behind a cheap scope for a kid.

I tend to agree with the members but I would like to point out few things.
-at 300 price bracket you will probably get much better scope for the money.
-whatever the price you pay for the scope, you should test it by mounting it somewhere solid and then dialing and watching that it tracks well enough against a printed (and checked) paper.

Or just by shooting and doping, and then repeating to see the same dial values apply, over and over again.

I have no insight in cheap scope markets but I could recommend Athlon and Vortex.

Last edited:
My guess is this will be a set it and forget it scope and you will not be dialing the turrets for elevation. If that is the purpose Bushnell makes an inexpensive rimfire scope that isn’t bad. You can probably shop around and find it cheaper. If you will be dialing the turrets you will want to spend a little more.

No matter what you get, for use on a 22, make sure it has assistance parallax down to 25 yards, if not lower. Typical 100 yard fixed parallax does such a disservice to a new shooter when trying to accurately shoot at closer ranges.

Reactions: Cuzz
Midwayusa has the Sightron S1 Rimfire Hunter 3-9 x 32 scope on sale for $120. These are very nice, simple rimfire scopes with good optics and with parallax set at 50 yards. I've had a couple of these and consider them an excellent value. Perfect for a new shooter. 50-yd parallax will work just fine at 25 yds.

You can adjust the parallax on the cheapos too.

Have not tried it myself yet but planning to for the scopes I have gotten for free.

You can manually adjust it, but a fundamental part of shooting with optics is understanding parallax and being able to adjust it when needed. For centerfire distances, it isn't as big of a deal, but at closer 22LR range, adjustability is almost required, IMO.

I have a Nikon .22 variant on a 17 HMR its great cheap glass for closer ranges.

A 10/22 topped with a red dot is fun for all ages. The Holosun's or Romeo's are some good red dot sights within your budget. Probably as reliable as any scopes at the price points.

Just outside your budget, but if they are old enough that you're looking to work with them on adjusting parallax and turning turrets the Mueller 8-32 actually has a decent track record for the price of $250 or so.

Not sure what the low end of paralax adjustment is on them, but the Bushnell Nitro scopes have been on sale with an additional rebate and might be a good choice.

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and a Nikon 4-12x rimfire scope for my M&P 15-22. You can buy both for around $200 and a have pretty good but economical set.

Vortex Diamondback
Mueller APV
Primary Arms

Of the 22 scopes I have the current one that fits your price range is an unproven scope. I have a Vector optics (chinese mfg) 3-12 scope and it's very clear for the price and seems well made but I don't know how long it will last and I think it only ran me 165.00

Used Vortex Diamondback HP's are a great bang for your buck and can be had close to your budget. I am partial to the 3-12 Diamondback HP. - I had the, 2-8, 4-16 and 3-12 models and the 3-12 seems to have the best glass and features.

I finally upgraded my .22 to a diamondback Tactical...which honestly is what I'll recommend, but at $350-$380, its a bit above your price range.

I currently have a Vortex Crossfire II for sale on here for $120. Thats about a $200 scope new. IT is the 4-12x50 AO, the adjustable objective will focus all the way down to 10yds. Its not whatd I'd pick for NRL but it worked for me well for the time I had it.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...2-ao-larue-qd-5-8-riser.6990931/#post-8381099

Vortex Diamondback
Mueller APV
Primary Arms

Of the 22 scopes I have the current one that fits your price range is an unproven scope. I have a Vector optics (chinese mfg) 3-12 scope and it's very clear for the price and seems well made but I don't know how long it will last and I think it only ran me 165.00

Used Vortex Diamondback HP's are a great bang for your buck and can be had close to your budget. I am partial to the 3-12 Diamondback HP. - I had the, 2-8, 4-16 and 3-12 models and the 3-12 seems to have the best glass and features.

I bought the Vector optics 6-24 "marksman". Tracking isn't 100%, but I get a christmas tree reticle and adjustable parallax etc. etc. mil/mil scope for $190 USD.

Bargain.

Reactions: Frankr
You can adjust the parallax on the cheapos too.

Have not tried it myself yet but planning to for the scopes I have gotten for free.

It's actually quite easy, I have an old Bushnell Sharpshooter 4x on a semi-auto Marlin that was originally set for 50 yds.
The hardest part was loosening the ring that holds the objective lens in place. Once that's free, adjusting the parallax was easy.
I set mine for 30 yds and haven't touched it since.

you can still save money while getting your kid a really nice optic you just have to shop around read up , but buying something they can grow with rather than out of has its merits like buying a kid a dog and teaching them responsibility and lessons they can use in life later . well I am a strong believer in sweat equity ( making the kid work for something they want ) there are always ways for a kid to make a few quick dollars like helping people at the va cutting grass or washing windows , yard work that you keep putting off it builds character and sort of makes you realize the cost of things you want . Good luck on what ever scope you choose .

I started my son on a Hawke vantage 4-12x50 with an adjustable objective and illuminated reticle. It had a bdc reticle so no dialing but he got to learn how to zero and was able to run his rig without more than reminders to transition with his bolt back. He shot above the 250's on our nrl22 with that and his ruger American.