• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR optics

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
For shooting 100 yards and less has anyone used a red dot plus a magnifier as your primary optic? I recently mounted and Eotech on a new 22 and was surprised at how easy it was to sight in and to shoot. However, it became apparent that some magnification was necessary at 100 yards for my 70 year old eyes. Later in the day shooting was also a problem with the Eotech alone - most so in seeing the target clearly than using the red dot. Anyone have any experience with this type of optic for 22's??

i'm very rarely anywhere else besides 16x on targets inside 100y

1/4" at 75y, 1" at 50y, 3" at 100y. all 16x

also let's get this moved to the rimfire seciton not vintage rifles

depends on how accurately you want to "aim"

for my 22lr shooting off a bench (not walking around or shooting of obstacles/ competition)...the more mag the better for me

i have 45 and 60X scopes and its like cheating

i can segment a 22 cal hole on a target at 100 yeard

with a big red dot you can only aim so fine

For shooting 100 yards and less has anyone used a red dot plus a magnifier as your primary optic? I recently mounted and Eotech on a new 22 and was surprised at how easy it was to sight in and to shoot. However, it became apparent that some magnification was necessary at 100 yards for my 70 year old eyes. Later in the day shooting was also a problem with the Eotech alone - most so in seeing the target clearly than using the red dot. Anyone have any experience with this type of optic for 22's??
I have a Truglo dot on a 10-22 and a S&W Victory, setup for speed steel shooting. My problem with dots, I can't see the targets like you said. They make 1 X8, 1X6 power scopes with lighted Reticles may work for your needs.
Mark

Last edited:
I have a 3moa red dot on my 22 gold cup pistol, and I'd love to find one with a smaller dot. That dot just covers way too much of the target when going for small targets. A scope that's 20x or more is great for spotting your own shots @ 100yds

Reactions: camocorvette
What type of shooting and rifle?

I have everything from basic front blade and rear groove SAA clone in 22LR all the way to higher power scopes for NRL22 type stuff.

To answer you question, I have not.

4 power lyman scope on my critter 22lr rifle. Simple cross hair. If I'm aiming for critters. My 22 pistol has a laser and light with night sights. That's zeroed at 20 and hits what ever I aim at ( within reason ).
If I'm shooting paper currently I have a bushnell 3-12 with moa reticle. Works well for 200 and in.

I think for groups you are reducing the quality of the results with a red dot.
For coons in a tree. Absolutely the right optic.