• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr pistol recommendations

edwardmatt83

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Since I am picking a suppressor for my CZ 457, I want to get a 22 pistol. What's your recommendation for a pistol? Just want something reliable with a suppressor and fun for plinking.

I have two S&W M&P22 compact pistols. My girls have shot 2-3,000 rounds out of them easily. They all come threaded from the factory for a suppressor, and with CCI mini mags, they run near flawlessly.

I bought a Ruger Mk4 22/45 lite just for playing with a suppressor on a pistol. Just my luck I suppose but that dog don't hunt. The lite will sort of feed cci mini mag and sv and nothing else. I have older Mk 1&3 that are great. I'm not bashing Ruger, just very let down by this pistol. Probably will thread Mk2 and send Mk4 by-by.

I bought a Mk4 Lite along with the Ruger suppressor, no issues with my Lite at all. I ran about 500 or more mini mags thru mine at the start, at runs like a champ.

I bought a Mk4 Lite along with the Ruger suppressor, no issues with my Lite at all. I ran about 500 or more mini mags thru mine at the start, at runs like a champ.
Yea, I know there's going to be tons more people that have great luck with them. Luck of the draw, I got the dog this time.

Forget the semi/suppresor....

K22 Model 17....

1604708616901.png

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, picked up my TBAC a couple months ago. I have a Walther PPQ M2 22, great gun, great trigger, they make a option with a threaded barrel. If money wasn't an option I'd buy a Volquartsen Black Mamba 4.5", you can un-thread the comp and add the supressor.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Buckmark is my first recommendation, ruger would be second only because the buckmark I have is more accurate and the trigger is cleaner than my ruger mark

20191028_103944.jpg
Just one guys (many guys) opinion...just for plinking😉...I went with the S&W Victory. I am pretty satisfied for price/ capability. Without saying the ranges or amount of rounds (which many will think is bullshit anyways) I will just state that this was NOT hanging around the bird feeder but instead was actually strolling thru the deer woods. Great gun. Pic speaks for itself 😎🍻

I'm a S&W 41 guy, but the S&W Victory fits that bill pretty well, their performance center model is more expensive but has a really nice trigger. They sell a "normal" model with a threaded barrel and pic rail already. Buckmark plus has threaded/pic rail versions as well hard to go wrong with.

That said it's really hard to not want either the KelTec PMR30 or CP33, 30+ rounds of 22/22WMR with a supressor just screams fun.

If you have a 1911, you may want to try a Marvel Precision upper.

Reactions: simonp
I also think the conversion upper for an existing pistol is a great way to go.
I have an older Marvel and a CZ Kadet conversion and both have been very reliable. I believe the newer Marvel kits now support slide locks which is an improvement.

I bought a victory in october 2019 that has since been back to victory three times to try to get it to run. Has 2-3 malfunctions with every magazine. Worst gun I've ever owned so far. Customer service has been a nightmare. My 2 cents.

Keltec also have a p17 that is smaller, already threaded, holds 16+1 and under 180. Can’t go wrong with the ruger mk Iv though. Love the simple takedown.

Reactions: siscoe308
I bought the stainless Ruger mark vi threaded and would not hesitate to buy it again.

It’s a heavy pistol (42.8oz as per Ruger) but I don’t mind so much. It literally doesn’t move in recoil. Adjustable metal sights that are good, not great. But the thing I was most excited about is that it isn’t the fiber optic crap they have on most rimfire pistols

She happily eats everything I’ve throw at it. Match/bulk Ammo, I’ve ran mixed mags of round nose & hp’s without a hiccup.

More accurate than I am with a handgun. Last Time out I put 10 rounds inside an 8 in circle offhand @25 and 10 rounds in a 4in Circle @ 15....which is good enough for me. I’ve never put her on a rest but I’d expect the gun to perform much better than my suspect technique shows.

Sounds very good with a Thunderbeast 22TD. And (the main reason I chose this model from the start) breaks down in secs for a wipe down of the action.
....damn, im gonna go shoot that pistol, I’ve talked her up enough.

I bought a Taurus TX22 for the very same reason as you. I paid $251 for it and have a blast with it. It is not a target pistol but a lot of bang for the buck

+1 tx22 is allot of fun for less than $300

Reactions: todde
228B2A32-8C0C-4FBB-A062-4E6EC051790C.jpeg
Ok....I didn’t know we were going this route.
This Charger w/ franklins binary is about as much fun as one can have with a 22 blaster.

Reactions: BJames
Volquartsen Scorpion or Black Mamba pistols are fucking awesome and super accurate , shoot awesome with a suppressor too

CZ Kadet kit on CZ 75 / SP01 lower. Full sized steel gun, 2 calibres (.22 / 9mm or .40).

Sig's Mosquito.

haha Just kidding.

Buckmark, Ruger Mk 4 or S&W Victory are my choices for a first .22 pistol. Then start looking at others. You will find you end up with a few in the safe before long.

Another vote for a Buck Mark...you can swap barrels easily, lock the slide back to do a quick clean.
Less aftermarket then the Ruger, and disassembly requires removing the sights.

Or go old school with a High Standard

Attachments

• 20201104_181348.jpg
    20201104_181348.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190517_191954.jpg
    20190517_191954.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: acudaowner
Ruger MarkIII 22/45 Lite shoots everything I have fed it except for CCI quiets

I was in a similar position a few months back. My solution......

View attachment 7464893
This right here: they are probably one of, if not the ugliest pistols ever made, but man do the shoot, loading them kind of sucks, but we put one up next to a tricked out volquartson and the cp33 shot as good as the volquartson did. And this is coming from a guy that only shot Ruger mark 2 for bullseye shooting until I got ahold of one of these.👍🏼👍🏼

Reactions: Old_Longhair
The ruger 22/45 etc line is a solid choice with aftermarket options for triggers, etc.
The gsg/sig 1911 versions have aftermarket options and take most 1911 parts if you're into 1911's.
The new Taurus is pretty attractive with higher mag capacity.
The sr22 is hard to beat, and will work for kids with the smaller grip swapped out.
I'm really digging the keltec cp33, but it's odd looking, with a brace it's real nice though...
20200206_192852.jpg

Reactions: Old_Longhair
For a host I would probably go volquartsen. However I have settled on a Browning Buckmark and S&W 422. I haven't owned a Ruger mk4 yet, but prefer the Browning over the mk3 I had. The open action shure helps with the blowback on the 22lr. Instead of trapping it in the action like the ruger, it blows out the sides, and keeps the action so much cleaner.

Ruger Mark, Ruger 22/45, or Browning Buckmark. Any of these pistols with a reciprocating bolt vs a slide will run the best when suppressed. They also run better with standard velocity .22 than the slide guns. SV is quiete.

I've got to go with the Ruger Mark (whatever). Great platform and if I'm not mistaken, the factory sight will work with most suppressors.

MKIV Lite is an outstanding host, really great option for most who are new to the game. Easy to upgrade, works awesome out of the box.

Cadillac would be CZ75 Cadet conversion, or Nelson Custom conversion. My Nelson is the most accurate 22 I own, and the first gun I reach for if I want to plink or shoot targets. The MKIV is the one I take out hunting because it weighs nothing and doesn't need much in the way of care.

We have some 22/45's, Mark IV Hunter, SR 22, some buckmarks and I am very pleased with them all but the one I come back to the most is the S&W Victory with threaded barrel. We got the buckmarks, lightweight versions for steel challenge and they are a good bit lighter than the Victory because I thought we'd shoot them better for the application. Didn't turn out that way for me. Was better off with the Victory's heavy weight. You'll most likely be happy with any of them but my experience says if you want lightweight, check out the buckmarks and if you prefer a heavier gun, the Victory is the way to go. Next one for me is the Model 41.

Reactions: Appalachian
Not much I like more than plinking with the MK IV Lite with the Volquartsen Accurizing kit and my Element II on it. A friend shot it and went to buy their own next day. They also commented it felt and was about as loud as using a stapler.