• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22lr Precision Rifle Match @ Navasota,TX

marks_a18138

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2017
I have to say the 6 hr drive one way was well worth the trip to shoot an 8 stage 22lr match. Prentice Wink did a great job using the cool props that range has, John Herford made awesome targets. I was told this will be a regular monthly shoot 3rd Saturday of the month. I know we will be making the trip back up there! Shot targets from 25 to 200 even used the tower for 2 stages. If you guys live in the Houston, Dallas or Austin area and love Precision Rimfire this is a have to monthly match. If you live in the South Texas area we also put on bad ass 8 stage match plus we are running a monthly NRL22 series.

I think you will see this 22lr match really take off in attendance in the next few months. Everyone I talked to at the long range rifle match on Saturday was either in the process of building or buying a new 22. I wanted to compete on Sunday but my tired old 10/22 just wasn't up to the challenge. The good news is I was able to leverage my son's interest into getting my wife on board with me building (or buying) a new 22...

I think you will see this 22lr match really take off in attendance in the next few months. Everyone I talked to at the long range rifle match on Saturday was either in the process of building or buying a new 22. I wanted to compete on Sunday but my tired old 10/22 just wasn't up to the challenge. The good news is I was able to leverage my son's interest into getting my wife on board with me building (or buying) a new 22...

It was an awesome .22 match, especially for the first one. Lots of potential there!

what is the name of the range , internet ?

I'm planning to build a 22 rifle and try to make the 7/21 NRL 22 match in Navasota. I went there this past Saturday to watch a centerfire match and see what it's all about and I can't stop thinking about it... But the 22 match is what I'll go for first.

I'm planning to build a 22 rifle and try to make the 7/21 NRL 22 match in Navasota. I went there this past Saturday to watch a centerfire match and see what it's all about and I can't stop thinking about it... But the 22 match is what I'll go for first.

Its a PRS style match, not NRL 22 on the 21st, correct?

Dthomas, their website shows 7/21 as a 22 match date but it doesn’t specify the style.

Did you go to the last 22 match there? Not to get too far off topic, but did most people shoot subsonic or can you shoot the high velocity stuff reliably out to 250 yards?

My CZ455 is all done and ready to go. I hope this .22 match on Saturday is as much fun as it’s been just shooting this rifle at the range last weekend. I ran a few hundred rounds through it and this little .22 might the most fun I’ve had with a rifle in a long time.

At a range here in Houston, I shot out to 50, 100, and 200 last weekend, so I’m pretty set at those distances. I also shot at the “varmint village” where they have 12” tall x about 4” wide steel gopher targets at what seemed like 20 or 25 yard intervals, that also goes out to 200 yards. I was able to range them with my scope’s reticle and make hits at the distances in between with only a few corrections, so hopefully I have some good data to start with.

I think this will be fun, even if it ends up being a little bit of a trial-by-error affair. Spotting my own hits with a .22 wasn’t too difficult so hopefully it’s not too hard to really get dialed-in.

What would be great is if you could share the types of stages and the general format of the match.
What was good and or bad.
What you liked and didn’t.
It will help our sport develop good fun matches

Rover, the match had 8 stages with a range of 50 to 150 yards. There were barricades with multiple positions shooting at single targets, and some prone stages that were either troop-lines or KYL types. All of the targets were steel, and all the stages were 10 rounds each.

I liked that the match didn't have any paper targets, it was more like a mini-PRS match, from what I can tell. Everyone was organized and it kept a good pace and it didn't get boring at any point. A good group of guys and they were helpful to a new guy and lent me shooting bags and gave good advice on how to shoot from the various barricades.

Reactions: marks_a18138
I should be at the next one.

Dropped the tubb trigger in the weekend. Waiting on rings to arrive.

Rifle is ready. See y'all at the next match

20180725_191626.jpg

Reactions: Rolltide
I’ll try to remember to take pics and notes at the next one to post here.

So far I’ve made 3 of these .22 PRS matches and they’ve all been a ton of fun. Each time the stages have had good variety and this last one had targets at a bunch of odd distances and not on even 25 yard intervals. I’m really getting hooked on this...

So much that I just finished bedding my centerfire tonight after I had my stock worked on to fix some damage and inlet it for a new DBM I picked up last week. I can’t wait to run a centerfire match soon...

But shooting .22 has been a great way to get into this and learn shooting from something other than a bench. Nice group of guys out there, more and more kids are showing up to shoot, and everyone there has been extremely helpful to me and other new shooters. I would encourage anyone interested to go out there, regardless of your skill level. All you really need:

• 100 rounds of subsonic .22. But bring extra to take practice shots at the 50yd zero targets before the match. Use cheap CCI SV, it honestly shoots pretty well in most rifles. Don’t bring supersonic ammo, since we almost all shoot subsonic we can help you with your dope better if you also shoot subsonic. And subsonic just works better for this application, anyway.
  • A scope that you can easily adjust your elevation with. Most of us seem to shoot with MIL scopes but it’s not hard to translate it to MOA. First focal is best, but even a duplex or second focal would work since were not holding much more than 1 mil or 4 moa of wind. A 3-9 scope would work. I have a 3-15 but almost always shoot at 6 or 9 power, but that’s just me, others may want more magnification.
  • A rifle with a 10 round capacity. Bolt or semiauto.
  • A bipod, and some shooting bags are nice. For the bags, see what others are using, try them out, and then buy the one you like. I did this for my first match and I ended up getting a weibad mini fortune cookie to start out with.
  • You can bring ear protection but most find shooting subsonic makes it unnecessary. Better to bring it though, in case you opt to use it.
Am I forgetting anything?

The only thing I would say is that .22's are typically picky on ammo. You need to shoot a bunch to see what your rifle likes.

I'll also say that Lapua Center X is worth it in every rifle I've tried and well worth the premium.

I agree on trying to pick the best ammo, but if you’re starting from scratch you’ll definitely be able to figure our your dope and whack the targets with the $3 per box CCI SV. Then from there, start fine tuning your ammo choice, for sure.

But last week one shooter was using the CCI SV’s and wearing out all the targets at everystage so sometimes you get lucky and your rifle just shoots even the cheap stuff well. Granted, he had a vudoo with probably a nice match barrel. But even my stock CZ 455 shoots the cheaper CCI almost as good as the $15 per box ammo, maybe only 1/3 moa worse... It’s definitely good enough to start with, I think.