• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Reamer Choices - Looking for Advice

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
I have taken the plunge and purchased a RimX action but have not yet gotten a barrel. Southern Precision Rifles will be doing the barrel once they have blanks in hand (I believe it will be a Shilen 4 groove ratchet). I know a little about centerfire and even less about rimfire so am looking for info regarding the pro's and con's of different chambers (e.g., Winchester 52D).

The intended use of the gun will be high accuracy plinking, working on my technique, and learning the wind. Rimfire PRS could also be on the table once my skills are there. I expect to use mid grade ammo (SK, Wolf, FGMM, RWS Target, etc.) to learn on and perhaps something in the 20 to 30 cent per round range if I compete.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reactions: Near miss
Keystone Accuracy has my reamer right now which is a custom reamer using specs Don Smith gave me. If you look at my Bartlein CZ custom barrel review, you'll see how it shoots. 0.6" 6x5 @ 100yd.....6x5 in the .2's @ 50yd and lots of MOA and submoa groups @ 300yd. Yes, 300yd. Isn't super picky with ammo.

Keystone is just finishing up doing 2 RimX barrels right now with my reamer and 2 Vudoo's. They have 22lr blanks and the reamer if you want to get that RimX barreled up.

Reactions: pingunit and JKW70
Good luck with this thread my friend. lol

Fact is, a lot of matches have been won with such a huge variety of chambers... that it's almost an impossibility for anyone to be able to state what is best.

We are going to be chambering most of our RimX builds with what we're calling .22LR Primal chamber. It was developed by myself and a good friend of mine, Wayne Juergens, about 10 years ago.

We also have a 2° version of that reamer, but don't intend to use that in customer builds unless specifically requested.

Thus far our chamber has produced some excellent results, and seems to give solid performance with CCI, Lapua, Eley, and RWS.

Last edited:
Keystone Accuracy has my reamer right now which is a custom reamer using specs Don Smith gave me. If you look at my Bartlein CZ custom barrel review, you'll see how it shoots. 0.6" 6x5 @ 100yd.....6x5 in the .2's @ 50yd and lots of MOA and submoa groups @ 300yd. Yes, 300yd. Isn't super picky with ammo.

Keystone is just finishing up doing 2 RimX barrels right now with my reamer and 2 Vudoo's. They have 22lr blanks and the reamer if you want to get that RimX barreled up.

Padom just curious would you mind sharing the specs of your reamer? I've played with
Win52D
Eley EPS
Calfee

And weird hybrids of each. I'm not sure what the Ravage chamber is either.

Reactions: pingunit
The reamer I started with four years ago was one that PTG called Ultimate EPS. That one went tits-up while cutting the 3rd or 4th chamber, and they replaced it with one marked simply 'EPS'. I'm far from unhappy with the results in four Kriegers, three Shilen ratchet rifled, one each Benchmark & Lilja titebore - but am curious about whether there are subtle advantages to using different reamers in cut-rifled vs button-rifled blanks, like the Krieger vs Shilen? I'm far too new to this 22RF game to have an opinion, but with looking forward to doing a bbl for a V-22S, and having Bartlein & Shilen blanks for it, I'm very interested in hearing opinions based on experience. Will only say at this point that I'd rather hear from someone like Kevin Nevious than Bill Calfee.

I have already purchased a RimX action from SPR and have had them set aside a barrel until Greg decides he is ready to make prefits. I am very interested in seeing what reamer he chooses to use (and the reason I posted this thread). I am also following Orkan's adventures with his rifle using the Primal Rights chamber and am seriously considering having a barrel spun up by Primal Rights.

I have already purchased a RimX action from SPR and have had them set aside a barrel until Greg decides he is ready to make prefits. I am very interested in seeing what reamer he chooses to use (and the reason I posted this thread). I am also following Orkan's adventures with his rifle using the Primal Rights chamber and am seriously considering having a barrel spun up by Primal Rights.
We are now taking deposits on barreled actions and pre-fit barrels, barreled actions, and complete rifles. The covid thing has timelines very uncertain, but we will be starting at $795 for a TS Customs pre-fit, ready to screw on and go shoot. That includes 1/2x28 threads and cap on the barrel, and we will be offering a modest discount for those that prefer target crown with no threads. We will have several contours available to suite your taste in rifle balance, from lightweight sporters to heavy thick barrels, and I can help talk you through what to expect of each. Flutes and cerakote options are available, as well as pairing with hawkins rings/bottom metal, optics, and various other accessories.

All of our barreled actions and rifles will wear Benchmark 3-groove barrels.

Barreled actions with triggers will start around $2500 (that's based on a $300 trigger)
Complete rifles with McMillan stocks will be around the $5000 area. Too many specifics to work out on a stock to pin down pricing very close on complete rifles.

Best way to work out the details is always via phone, so feel free to call anytime folks. If I happen to be busy, leave a message and your call will be returned promptly. 605-554-1911, and ask for Greg.

I'll eventually get this all tapped out into a proper post, and get it up on our website... but we're ready to go if you are!

Reactions: R.Walters
If a chamber is cut square to the bore and is not overly sloppy, how could the chamber make much if any difference in the precision of the groups fired? The bullets are swaged to fit the bore as they travel through the barrel and so long as the bullets are centered, the chamber dimensions shouldn't determine precision. The barrel quality is the most important in my opinion.