• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22LR Scope for Practice to 200 yards

sib1948

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
Thinking about getting a Savage MKIITR 22LR for more practice. Would like to shoot out to 200 yards. What would be the best cheap scope to use ? Have been looking at a Tasco up to 24X variable for my old eyes. Any other suggestions would be appreciated for about $100 or less.

Re: 22LR Scope for Practice to 200 yards

Simmons, Bushnell, Mueller, BSA. They're all okay and put crosshairs in front of your eye.

Taking a 22 to 200 will frustrate you, the trajectory is a rainbow and your groups will be at least 4" with that rifle. The cheaper your optics, the less reliable the clicks will be, increasing your frustration factor. I've heard that a 22 at 200 yards is roughly the equivalent of a 223 or 308 out around 600; as far as factoring wind and drop is concerned. That means you need to take it seriously. I'd spend a little more on the Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical, I've had good luck with the turrets being accurate and reliable but the glass looks like milk. For a little more, you could get into Vortex or Leupold which have better glass. If you want to shoot long range, one of the many ingredients to doing it successfully is having a reliable scope.

Re: 22LR Scope for Practice to 200 yards

Thanks for the feedback. Have a Leupold MK4 4.5X14 50mm TMR. May just shoot to 100. Just want to practice wind drift with cheaper ammo than my other rifles and our range has monthly small bore matches. Eventually want to step up to LR matches.