• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr Sig Mosquito

biteemnbeatem

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
San Antonio, TX
okay, ive had a used sig mosquit that a traded for about 7-8months ago and never used it. Well thur I went out and had a sh*t load of ftf's and some fte's. it was almost every round and with luck i would shot 2-3 rds befor the next ftf.fte. i tried out both springs that come from the factory with no change.
Now i also ran a brand new MP15-22 with 1 fte almost every 25rd mag.

This is the bulk 525rd winchester 22lr in the white box. I will probably go buy some cci minimags and see if thoes will run through them.

Any ideas

Re: .22lr Sig Mosquito

Sounds like you may have got one of the problem child sqeeters. Yeah, try the mini mags. keep it lubed also, and try the federal bulk packs too. They work pretty well in my ceiner conversion in my AR, and my mosquito.

The Sig Mosquito just doesn't work at all when it is even a little dirty - well, the ones that I have experience with anyway. The obvious said, I have only used CCI minimag & none of the bulk stuff because I was told that the pistol was finicky before ever shooting it. I still had to change out the spring that was installed to the other to make it run.

yeah i keep hearing about this "white" spring that is tapered that the new ones come with. I will try some cci mini mags and federal bulk through it this comming week and see what the results are. I bought the 22 to shoot cheap ammo, and even though cci minimag is cheaper than any other centerfire cartridge i was hoping to use cheap bulk ammo for the 22lr. oh well.

A friend of mine has a mosquito. It seems to function as a bolt action rather than a semi automatic. I feel like the issue is the weight of the slide. While it is a neat fitting gun (90% the size of a p226) I feel like the .22 round struggles to properly cycle the slide. I have a p22 and for the most part it functions pretty reliably. I've put 5000 rounds through it and its a solid gun. I will say that the mosquito beats the p22 in accuracy though. I would try to get solid bullets versus hollow points and then get the highest velocity rounds possible. If that doesnt increase reliability its solely the attributable to the pistol's design. Hope you get the thing going...

I had a mosquito and traded it within weeks. It was a perfect handgun to train my Wife though. FTF, FTE, you name it, and it happened. My Wife bought a P22 and we like it. It may not be advised, but one thing that helped when I had my Sig was to lube the bullets. Think Ziplock bag and a quick squirt of WD40. Dump the rounds in the bag and lube them up.

I have yet to use any form of CCI in my Mosquito and it behaves well enough for me to keep it...Federal bulk from walmart only. I honestly think I have more issues with the magazines doing weird shit than the weapon FTF/FTE.

yeah my plastic mags are weard if the slide is locked back and i put in a full (10rd) plastic mag and hit the release it gets hung up. Take out a round and it works fine. My steel mag works with out a hickup but the gun just doesnt cycle my winchester bulk ammo.

The mosquito was made to run CCI minimags. Bulk pack shit is way too underpowered and inconsistent for these pistols. I've had one for about 2 years now, and it's been back to the factory as many times before it worked right. The chambers need deburring and polishing. Use the light spring only. Keep these guns cleanish and greased. They run a bit better suppressed, mine even cycling CCI subs. They can work right after some TLC, otherwise upgrade to something less of a toy.

I've shot P22s and Mosquitoes and was never impressed w/ either. I just purchased a Ruger 22/45 Mk III yesterday and am in love w/ it already. The thing is super accurate and cycles flawlessly, plus 1911 stocks fit it with a slight and easy mod.

Never had any problems with my mosquito after I broke it in with 500 rounds. I only run federal bulk 550rd box with not problems. Same stuff I run in my spikes .22 AR. There was a good trick that someone told be to make sure it worked with the ammo type you wanted to use. Take the round and drop it in the barrel, if it goes in easy and all the way down to the rim. Then tip it backwards and the round should fall out on its own. If it gets hung up at all or does not go all the way down to the rim, forget it its not going to work. The round also has to be high velocity, above 1200fps I have found. If you match those two criteria I have never had a problem. I can get through a whole box of federal bulk 550 with only maybe 10 rounds that have problems in the whole box I have run up to 1000 rounds before cleaning. Once I hit the 800 to 1000 round mark it starts having issues.

Mine works even better on suppressor as someone said. I have not found any subsonics that work too well just cause the high velocity is cheaper so I stick with it.

I bought a mosquito a couple summers ago. I got it brand new and also had feeding problems. The problem is the recoil spring. I locked the slide back in the open position and left it for about a week. Kind of a sketchy break in process but since then it feeds low velocity pistol ammo up to mini mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a mosquito a couple summers ago. I got it brand new and also had feeding problems. The problem is the recoil spring. I locked the slide back in the open position and left it for about a week. Kind of a sketchy break in process but since then it feeds low velocity pistol ammo up to mini mags.
</div></div>

i think i read another post where you mentioned about locking the slide back for a wk to wear in the spring. If the ammo change doesnt work im going to try this. Also i did test to see if the winchester bulk ammo would drop into the chamber freely and it still has about 1/3 of the case sticking out, of course you just need to bairly touch it for it to go in all the way but if when i hold the barrel upside down it doesnt come out by itself unless I use my fingernail

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biteemnbeatem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a mosquito a couple summers ago. I got it brand new and also had feeding problems. The problem is the recoil spring. I locked the slide back in the open position and left it for about a week. Kind of a sketchy break in process but since then it feeds low velocity pistol ammo up to mini mags.
</div></div>

i think i read another post where you mentioned about locking the slide back for a wk to wear in the spring. If the ammo change doesnt work im going to try this. Also i did test to see if the winchester bulk ammo would drop into the chamber freely and it still has about 1/3 of the case sticking out, of course you just need to bairly touch it for it to go in all the way but if when i hold the barrel upside down it doesnt come out by itself unless I use my fingernail </div></div>

Yeah, between that and a few hundred rounds of mini mags, mine runs pretty smooth. Even sub sonics cycle without a problem. Just don't forget about leaving the slide locked back, haha.

Had mine for a couple of years. A little "twitchy"for the first 500 rds. Ever since runs great,I use the CCI Mini Mags or the Federal Auto Match bulk from Wal Mart, both work well. I like the "full size" feel and all the features except for the safety are exactly the same as my P220 and P229, so it's good for high ammo count drills at low cost. My 11 yr old loves it and is getting very proficient at his gun handling with it too.

To get my buddy's Mosquito to work, we had to do a detail strip and cleaning (down to bare, clean metal), stone and polish a couple spots where we saw serious drag marks, apply a dry lubricant, and run Winchester Super X. It operated 100% for around 150 rounds, then started messing up again. Field stripped it, cleaned it, relubed it, and it went a couple hundred rounds. Repeated the process, and lo and behold, now it runs for as long as he cares to shoot it.

Seems like any little bit of friction is enough to cause these things to go tits up. Exhaustive break-in and a quality lube can help, but the ol' "toothpaste action job" would probably be a fine idea to accelerate the break-in. I prefer a dry lube because it doesn't hold powder residue or get gummy in cold weather.

I had a lot of problems with mine until I tried Federal Automatch ammo. It runs like a top now, but Ive also put about 2500rds through it. Ive also found that it is easy to get the rounds slightly "cattywampus" in the mag and if you do that, you are going to have FTF's.

As others stated no run of the mill bulk works worth a damn. Ran CCI mini mags and also after many cleanings with Ballistol which almost "seasons" the gun it now finally runs reliably. Almost sold the damn thing.