• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 22lr supressor options

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I am 100% new to suppressors. I live/play in a housing development that would absolutely flip out if they heard a shot from anything that came from a BB gun or bigger. I have a mole problem that I would like to take into my own hands with a very quiet 22lr. What is the quietest 22lr with suppressor out there and how loud is it??? I think I am only interested in getting something that is a long gun. I have a 22lr now but think if I was going to get something along these lines I would want to do it right and make sure I get what I want. My next concern is that I want to make sure this rifle is still dead on accurate. is this possible and if so what products should I be looking at??? Thanks for your advice.

Re: 22lr supressor options

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am 100% new to suppressors. I live in a housing development that would absolutely flip out if they heard a shot from anything that came from a BB gun or bigger. My next concern is that I want to make sure this rifle is still dead on accurate. is this possible and if so what products should I be looking at??? Thanks for your advice. </div></div>

The least noisy 22lr out there will be any bolt rifle with a good silencer such as those made by Gemtech, AAC, and SWR. That said, you can expect them to still be at least 115 decibels with subsonic 22lr ammo. Your neighbors will probably hear the shots if they are outside nearby. Using CB or cap ammo will be less noisy. You can find a list of manufacturers at http://www.silencertests.com and a list of dealers at http://www.subguns.com .

It is also a gross misdemeanor to use a silencer on any firearm in WA State. Some counties ban shooting near houses I believe, but you need to take a look at the law yourself. Using a silencer in WA state is a bad idea. I am not able to use mine unless I travel to a more gun friendly state, which I do at least once a year. You are lucky enough to live near the Idaho border, if you buy any suppressed rifles then it is a short trip over the line to use them.

I think a much better solution to your problem if you insist on shooting them is an air rifle. Any spring powered air rifle should be enough to kill a mole. You may have better luck with using mole poison too if that is allowed where you live. You can legally put a silencer on an air rifle, but I think it only works well on the pre-charged ones that use a reservoir. The spring on the break barrel or side cocking rifles is not quiet; it might be louder than the small muzzle blast.

Ranb

Ran, I 100% understand the Washington State laws regarding suppressors. My family and I have a small recreation home in another part of the country that allows them to be used. Thanks for the info though. I will take a look into those products. Are you saying the a subsonic 22lr round can not be silenced to the point of a BB gun??? 115 is still pretty load correct???Any more I might want to look at???

I understand jcvibby, as much as I want to use my own silencers here in WA, I can't encourage their use in WA by others.
smile.gif

I have never had the chance to shoot a good suppressed rifle next to a BB gun. I was shooting with a guy in VA who had a Ruger 10/22 and an AAC silencer. The clicking of the bolt seemed louder than the muzzle blast (or pop). It was less noisy than my 800 fps pump pellet pistol I'm sure, but I think it would be noisier than a BB gun.

115 decibels does not seem very loud when it is an impulse noise. The sound duration is so brief that a special meter and microphone with less than a 20 microsecond response time is required to capture the peak noise. (According to Al Paulson’s Silencer History and Performance) The briefness of the noise is what makes anything less than 140 decibels safe to be exposed to. I really can not describe well the noise that a suppressed 22lr rifle makes except to say it sounds like a pop, plus a click if it is semi-auto. The larger rifles like the 300 whisper sounds like a car door slamming. Higher powered rifles like the 5.56 and 308 shooting high powered ammo sound like an air hose being disconnected. It has been my experience that shooting indoors or under a roof outdoors will make almost any high powered suppressed rifle loud enough to damage your hearing due to the noise reflecting back at you.

Decibels are a noise scale that is logarithmic. A change of three decibels is a factor of 2, 10 db a factor of 10, 20 db a factor of 100, 30 a factor of 1000 and so on. A typical good silencer will reduce noise by 20-30 decibels or a factor of 100 to 1000 times. A person can barely make out a change in 3 decibels. My homemade 22lr silencer was just a bit louder than the AAC I compared it to, which means mine was actually twice as loud. A bit of a downer, but it only cost me $20 plus the $200 tax to the ATF to build. The cheapest professionally made silencer I have seen for sale in the USA was about $200.

Ranb

I mulled over a suppressor for the 22 for a bit, then opted for a pellet rifle instead. Also for moles...damn those things. The modern pellet guns are quiet, potent, and plain fun to shoot. I have a Gamo pro hunter that will send a 177 between 1000 and 1200 ft/sec depending on ammo, plenty of punch out to 40 yards.

Another, less fun but maybe more effective, mole option is using something like milky spore to get rid of the worms and grubs that moles like to eat. No food, no moles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Another, less fun but maybe more effective, mole option is using something like milky spore to get rid of the worms and grubs that moles like to eat. No food, no moles.

</div></div>

Enough crazy talk!

The Liberty Shoofly was the quietest at the recent Silencer Research test, it's very quiet but is long compared to some other .22 suppressors. I'd give it a look if you do decide to go the suppressor route.

From me...hehehe....***FIRST AND FOREMOST***...aquire knowledge about sub-sonic velocity vs standard or high velocity ammo in a Supressor. This info will be of considerable value when making your decision. Once you have this knowledge base then the rest of the SHOOTERS here can guide you thru options.

The Liberty Shoofly was the quietest at the recent Silencer Research test, it's very quiet but is long compared to some other .22 suppressors. I'd give it a look if you do decide to go the suppressor route.

What list did you look at? The Sparrow finished 4 spots better than the Shoefly and it's still not tops on the list.

Shit, By the time you make a decision and get BATF-E approval you could have dug them up and squished them.

Just sayin' , shooting is more fun ,I agree.

hey brother I just happen to know that you are on the west side of the mountains quite a bit why don't you go to wades gun shop in bellevue they have quite a few of them in stock and they will get all your paper work in order. I only know this because I was their recently looking for a titanium 223 suppresor which they had a few of in stock. cool gun shop with knowledgable staff. hope this helps and thanks for the ipod.

scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What list did you look at? The Sparrow finished 4 spots better than the Shoefly and it's still not tops on the list.
</div></div>

You're looking at the pistol test, I'm talking about the rifle test. Go to the next one down, the 10/22 test.

I have a similar problem, living in a subdivision with a problematic rabbit population. Unable to use a supressor in Michigan I opted for a German made RWS 22 cal pellet gun(about 250.00). It spits them out about 800 fps and holds somewhat flat to about 60 yds. After that pellets drop like a pig. just some food for thought.

So, can anyone tell me what the highest rank suppressor in both rifle and pistol was? What were the #1 suppressors?

I won't post all the results here, since Silencer Research charges for the information, but I will say the three that made it in the top 10 in both pistol and rifle were the Liberty Shoofly, Liberty Kodiak, and AAC Prodigy. Bear in mind that the difference within the top ten may not even be discernible by ear, the difference is minute in many cases. If you're thinking of buying a suppressor that has been reviewed, it's worth the cash to Silencer Research to see exactly what you'll be getting.

+1 on silencer research... I wish I would have new about it before I bought mine. I have a gemtech outback II and I like it but it would have been nice to read reviews first and be comfomfortable that you made a knowledgeable decision. I personally would have bought one that was rated for 17HMR and 22mag as well.

good luck

Hey scott, thanks I think I will have to stop by Wades and check out some stuff. I was doing some research and found a couple items I may like to look into further. The liberty shoofly looks to be the one but I am going to pay for it.

After reading the review on Silencer Research, I was a bit worried about how loud my SWR Spectre would be on my Quad rifle. Thankfully my ears and that of most humans are not as sensitive as the measuring device used in that review - it's really quiet with standard velocity ammo.

One thing I might suggest to anyone on the verge of getting a suppressor: be sure to have lots of ammo.....you're going to need it!
grin.gif

If mole removal in an urban environment was the mission I would opt for one of the new Gamo Suppressed air rifles.

My only suppressed .22 experience at current is a Walther P22 pistol with an Outback II suppressor. It is stupid quiet. Much quieter than a non-suppressed air rifle. If I prevent the slide from cycling the impact of the round is louder than the shot.

Now living in a neighborhood that would "flip" at a shot from a BB gun is not a good place to discharge a firearm. While it may not be illegal in your are (I don't know), causing problems with the neighbors is not going to endear yourself to them or local law enforcement. There are tons of actions that are not illegal but are still not good ideas.

Remember that shooting at the ground can cause a ricochet and .22LR (even subs) can go a long way with lethal energy.

Our silencers perform very well on long guns. The Checkmates meter 112 on them.

If you really want insanely quiet, we have some 5.56 cans that are seconds left over from a run for like $300 a pop, and they will probably meter around 107. They weigh 19 ounces though. The Checkmates come in three versions now.

QD T6 and 316L construction 5.9 ounce weight
Thread mount T6/316L 6ounce weight
Threadmount full SS 9.5ounce weight.

All three come apart for cleaning, and this year they got tighter tapered bores through a new manufacturing process to us, and should now be quieter on pistols, They were metering 33-34DB's on pistols maybe now they could be 3-4DB's quieter there (we've sent a can for testing but haven't heard back yet), performance was 112 on a bolt rifle, it's probably improved as well maybe dropping to 111 or 110.

The other silencer to look at is the HTG universal 3 The latest version is VERY quiet. It doesn't come apart and probably demands more $ than our silencer but can be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide/vinegar as it is full stainless steel.

AAC made a prototype core for their Prodigy that performed really well. As in merit worthy of being considered for purchase. They don't list it on the website anymore and never sold production samples of that core, so the can probably shouldn't be considered because it's unavailable.

I was going to start another thread but might as well bump this to the top with a question.

I am looking onto a suppressor for a 22 pistol now. The least amount of noise the better. Any more ideas?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If mole removal in an urban environment was the mission I would opt for one of the new Gamo Suppressed air rifles.

My only suppressed .22 experience at current is a Walther P22 pistol with an Outback II suppressor. It is stupid quiet. Much quieter than a non-suppressed air rifle. If I prevent the slide from cycling the impact of the round is louder than the shot.

Now living in a neighborhood that would "flip" at a shot from a BB gun is not a good place to discharge a firearm. While it may not be illegal in your are (I don't know), causing problems with the neighbors is not going to endear yourself to them or local law enforcement. There are tons of actions that are not illegal but are still not good ideas.

Remember that shooting at the ground can cause a ricochet and .22LR (even subs) can go a long way with lethal energy. </div></div>

A suppressor on a spring piston air rifle is a sales gimmick. Nearly all of the noise of a well broken in springer (excess lube shot out so no longer dieselling) is mechanical. It doesn't come out of the barrel. Gamo puts these on to appeal to the same folks who buy "1100fps" air rifles, mainly folks who don't know Jack Shit about airguns.

I agree with the rest of LoneWolf's comments.

Look at AWC's Stalker it's rated for .22mag. &17hmr but I run one on my .22 platforms rifles and pistols. Even with Stinger ammo it still is quieter than most pellet rifles. Also I run a Gemtech Outback on a Ruger 77 ,.22 bolt gun with standard velocity ammo the only thing you hear is the impact . I would throughly recommend both of these excellent products.

NFAtalk.org........100+ silencer tests performed to datec many silencers on many different platforms so you can decide what's the best one for you........and it's not 30 bucks a year.

A 24" bolt gun with a good 22lr can would solve your problems.

Which can is best for you can depend on budget,servicablity, db reduction level wanted, thread on vs QA/QD, weight, some cans can be used not only on 22lr,but 5.7,22 mag,maybe you prefer and integral,etc........

in my limited experience I prefer integral ones on RUGER 10/22
and Mark series pistols--just SEEM quietest to me plus little
or no action noise---supremely accurate--only used std vel ammo

I have a couple of .22 suppressors (who can stop at one?) The HTG Universal is my favorite. I am not sure about the db reduction (it's quiet). It is stainless, should last a lifetime, and in a pinch you can use it on an AR (per HTG it has to have a 16 inch barrel).. It is about the same size as my TAC from TI, heavier though, and I like that. I can't tell the difference in noise reduction between very many of the .22 silencers, for me it was the service and warranty that helped make my decision.

Without looking at the test results I can say my P22/tac65 is scary quiet, and it reliably cycles PMC Moderators (no longer produced I believe), which I have found to be super accurate. I know, no bullet goes super sonic in a 3.5 barrel, but it does make a difference to my ears. This can is also great on my marlin 60.

I think the biggest thing with the .22 cans is cleaning them, I shot 3000+ before cleaning. Big mistake. Ended up having to beat the baffles out with a wood dowel and a hammer and CAREFULLY sand blasting the baffles. Now I clean every 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading the review on Silencer Research, I was a bit worried about how loud my SWR Spectre would be on my Quad rifle. Thankfully my ears and that of most humans are not as sensitive as the measuring device used in that review - it's really quiet with standard velocity ammo.

</div></div>

Sound metering equipment can be very misleading. The meter does NOT measure tone, frequency, duration of sound, etc. People buying suppressors solely based on sound meter information might not be buying the best product for their intended uses. Also, ammo and host weapon can make a big difference on the sound your ear and the meter hears.

I posted this on another site earlier this AM. Not sure if it will help here or not, but here are some of my pre-coffee ramblings to a guy thinking about getting an integrally suppressed pistol...

I agree that a thread-mounted 22lr suppressor makes more sense, especially for the first-time buyer. If you already owned a thread-mount suppressor or two, I wouldn't hold you back from an integral. Integrals can be nice to have in certain configurations and there are some potential benefits. For example, most integrals don't look like suppressed weapons from outward appearance. Some people like that. Also, an integral is usually shorter in length than a host with a thread-mounted suppressor.

Still, I like the versatility of thread-mounted suppressors.

I like the SilencerCo 22Sparrow, AAC Element and SWR Spectre the best out of everything I've ever tried and I've had my hands on most (if not all) quality/top tier .22lr suppressors. All three are full-auto rated.

The 22Sparrow is super easy to take apart and does not require special tools to do so or to put back together. It can sound very slightly louder than a Spectre and Element on short barrel hosts (pistols) and have a bit more noticeable first round pop on those same shorter barrel hosts. But the difference is pretty minor and is host & ammo dependent. It weighs the same as the Element but is about as long as the Spectre. It is all aluminum except for the threads, which are SS.

The Spectre is the heaviest of the bunch at ~8.9 oz. On rifles you won't notice. On light-weight short handguns you will notice. Some folks are bothered by it; some aren't. It is built like a tank. I have literally driven 16 penny nails into boards with one. It is all SS. It comes with a small spanner wrench to help remove the end caps. I've only had to use this when the suppressor was very dirty. It now comes packaged with a baffle pusher tool (used to be an option) to help remove the core. I don't like the tool and never used one on my Spectre for fear of putting too much stress on the threads of the tube (the serial numbered part). I never had problems tapping out the core with a wooden dowel. YMMV.

The Element is the shortest of the bunch and quietest (by a little bit) on short handguns. On rifles I don't think you will tell any sound difference between these three. The Element also has a pusher tool that I do not own for my personal Element for the same reasons I don't like the Spectre tool. You MUST have the special take apart/re-assembly tool to take this apart and put it back together! Tools comes with the suppressor. There is no knurled section on the rear cap. The Spectre and 22Sparrow have a knurled rear cap that you can grab when removing from a host. The downside to not having it on the Element is that I have sometimes loosened the end cap from the tube body when trying to remove the suppressor from a host. Why is this bad? The baffles have alignment tabs that interface with that rear cap. Get the tabs out of line and you have to take the entire suppressor apart and put back together. If you are at the range and without the special tool, guess who is done shooting the Element for that day? Been there, done that.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the pre-coffee ramblings.