• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22LR Tactical Equipment List

BobinNC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Signed up for my first match, and here's what I have:

Rifle: Kimber Hunter Silhouette w/24" barrel. I also have a Harris 6-9" Swivel Bipod w/Pod lock that I will use for the match.

Scope: Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10x50 EFR w/Duplex Reticle

Mounts: Standard Kimber bases and Leupold High Rings

Ammo: Winchester Super X High Velocity X22LR

I have about 10K of this ammo, and it shoots sub 1/2" @50yds. It is my standard squirrel hunting load.

DSCF0554.jpg

Anything else needed for the shoot, besides lots of practice?

Future considerations:

Putting the cart way before the horse, I spoke to my friendly Leupold tech rep today, and for a mere $129.99 I could add a pair of M1 Turrets, and for a further $159.99 I could also have them change the reticle to the TMR.

Other than the fact that the cost of such changes are almost as much I spent for the scope way back in 1996, any reason not to do so? Are these the right choices? What other alternatives should I consider?

Adding turrets, and changing reticles, will not destroy the rifles primary purpose as a squirrel hunting machine, if I later decide that 22LR tactical shooting is not for me.

One further question: Leupold says a 2-3 week turn around for this work and I've got 25 days until the match. So I've got a short window. If I send it, and do not get it back in time, I do have backup scope; a B&L BalVar 2.5-8 with CPC reticle, that had it's parallax adjusted to 50yds. Yes, that scope is older than some posters on this forum, but it worked well killing tree rats for more than 25 years.

Any other suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob

Re: .22LR Tactical Equipment List

A small sandbag for the back end. And if you're willing to spend the money, a ranging reticle and matching adjustments are very helpful. I know Leupold can install the TMR (Tactial Milling Reticle) for not too much. I don't know about switching your adjustments to mils though.

Get your dope up and beyond the maximum range of the match in minimum 25yd increments. A sling would also be helpful, especially in any field positional stages.

The target/tactical turrets are really important, since there is alot of dialing with the 22lr. Some type of ranging reticle is also highly beneficial, especially in any UKD stage.

25days seems like too little time.. Stuff happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Davinho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A small sandbag for the back end. And if you're willing to spend the money, a ranging reticle and matching adjustments are very helpful. I know Leupold can install the TMR (Tactial Milling Reticle) for not too much. I don't know about switching your adjustments to mils though. </div></div>

Davinho,

Yes, I have a small bag, thanks for mentioning it. And yes, I am willing to spend the money for a ranging reticle ($159.99) and turrets ($129.99), but I am trying to be sure I spend the right dollars for the right stuff.

But I am not sure what you mean about switching the adjustments to mils? Please excuse my ignorance, but could you expound?

Thanks,

Bob

You have a nice rifle but I would go with a mildot scope and some different ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But I am not sure what you mean about switching the adjustments to mils? Please excuse my ignorance, but could you expound?
</div></div>

Most Leupold scopes come with MOA adjustments. That is: each click of the turret moves the point of impact 1/2 or 1/4 of a Minute Of Arc (MOA). A minute of arch is roughly 1 inch at 100 yards. With a milliradian or mil-dot reticle, you really want milliradian or "metric" adjustments: each click moves the point of impact 0.1 milliradians, or 1 cm at 100 meters.

On paper targets, this allows you to measure a miss with the reticle, say 1.5 mils (milliradians), and then just dial in 15 clicks (1.5 mil at 0.1 mil/click = 15 clicks) and you're done. With mismatched adjustments and reticles, you have to do an additional mathematical conversion between mils and MOA. I don't know about you, but I hate doing math in my head, particularly under competition pressure.

Milliradians or MOA is a matter of personal preference, but which ever you choose, match the reticle to the adjustments so the math is simpler.
I don't think Leupold offers a ranging reticle in MOA, so if you can get mil adjustments, the TMR reticle is the way to go. Be aware though that since your scope has a second focal plane reticle, it will only be accurate at one specific magnification, usually the maximum, but double check.

BobinNC

I have a Leupold vari-x-III 3.5-10 and it would only sight in dead on at 150 yards. Even with Burris Inserts you might only get to 200 yards. So it depends on how far you will be shooting.

A Super Sniper was my choice.

Super sniper was my choice and it allows me to familiarize "enough" to night .308's nightforce. Different leagues but both top of their own.

I just put the Burris Signatures on my AMT with the .020
insert on the bottom of the rear ring. With a 50 yard zero I now have 32 moa of elevation to work with. That is approx. 250 yards.

My scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with mildots.

I just sent in a 6.5-20x50 LR for the TMR and M1 turrets, I UPS'd it on April 10th and I just got it back today by UPS, and it was a 3-4 day UPS ride both ways from Missouri.

Same cost as they quoted you.

I love that TMR reticule!

Pretty sure they can't change your's to Mil adjustments, they couldn't on my LR, they said only if it available off the shelf on the same model.

HB

If I was you, I would also get the Burris rings with the offset inserts, it will gain you another 100 yards or so on your scope adjustments.

HB

I have a few Leupold scopes with the TMR reticle and really like them. However, for all the talk of new reticle, new turrets, new rings for elevation, etc. I might opt to simply get an SS10x40M and be done with it: plenty of elevation, turrets already in place, mil-dot reticle, etc. I have a slew of the Mark-4 scopes and one SS10x42M and that Super Sniper scope is a very nice scope for the money.

I don't know what courses of fire the organizers have planned for you, but a mat or pad can be helpful for any prone position shooting. I personally don't use them, but elbow/knee pads also seem to popular for some folks if the course of fire calls for odd body positions.

High-velocity ammo can do strange things as it transitions to subsonic, so you may find accuracy issues at that particular range. Using subsonic rounds (any match ammo) will avoid this, but you'll encounter greater bullet drop at longer distances.

Water, sunscreen and a snack should just about round it out. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a nice rifle but I would go with a mildot scope and some different ammo. </div></div>

Shooter65,

I'm with you on a mildot scope, and I will alter mine old Leupold or aquire a new one with the features I need; but lost you on the different ammo. Aside from shot to shot variation (or maybe that was your point) because I'm not shooting match ammo, what are your objections?

I know I have a bunch Lapua ScoreMax on hand that shot well in the Kimber, as well as some CCI Green Tag that also shot well. But nothing has shot as fine as the Win Super X, I'm down in the .25" range @ 50 YDS. And since this ammo is supersonic at the muzzle @ 1280+- FPS, it should make long range .22LR shooting easier than with the slower match grade ammo.

Or is there something else I'm missing and not realizing?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

Bob

Ammo: Winchester Super X High Velocity X22LR

This ammo will not be accurate to win.You need to go with sub sonic ammo for accuracy and consistency.(If you want to win)

i would get a falcon 4-14 for the money, about the same as converting your leupold and the glass is probally very close to yours with FFP/mil/mil and a 30mm tube for more elevation you cant go wrong. i know thats what my 22 will wear for glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RimfireJunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what courses of fire the organizers have planned for you, but a mat or pad can be helpful for any prone position shooting. I personally don't use them, but elbow/knee pads also seem to popular for some folks if the course of fire calls for odd body positions.

High-velocity ammo can do strange things as it transitions to subsonic, so you may find accuracy issues at that particular range. Using subsonic rounds (any match ammo) will avoid this, but you'll encounter greater bullet drop at longer distances.

Water, sunscreen and a snack should just about round it out. I'm sure you'll have a great time. </div></div>

RimfireJunky,

I was posting my last, before I read your post. Now I understand about HV ammo, it's the subsonic transition. Back to the drawing board....

Just a note to the other posters, I have decided not to convert my old VariX-III at this time. For about the same money, I have a line on a used Falcon Menace 10x42T w/MP20 reticle. If I somehow fail to land that one in the next few days; I will just buy a new Super Sniper 10x42 from SWFA, and be done with it.

Since either the Falcon Menace or Super Sniper are 30mm tubes, I will switch bases to Warne's that take a Weaver dovetail, and mate them to QRW 30mm rings that I already have in stock.

Since the adjustment range is 120 MOA on the Falcon I don't think I will need offset rings like Burris Signature 30mm Z-Rings, but I'm still not sure because my ammo choice is now up in the air?

Thanks,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo: Winchester Super X High Velocity X22LR

This ammo will not be accurate to win.You need to go with sub sonic ammo for accuracy and consistency.(If you want to win) </div></div>

Got it now...Thanks for your help. It has been a learning experience so far, but fun...

Each rimfire gun is different and can be very selective on what ammo it shoots the best. As you have discovers, you can have two identical guns, right out of the box, and each will shoot a brand or type differently. The best way to select the ammo that shoots best out of your gun is to get a number of different types and brand and go to the range one afternoon and see which one your gun shoots the best. You look of course on how it "groups" and also the functioning, if it is an auto-loader. Just remember that all .22 guns are individuals in a sense, each having their own personality.

Ammunition that is just below the speed of sound. You know that "High Pitch Crack" you heard when shooting high velocity 22, well that crack is from the bullet breaking the speed of sound. You are hearing the sonic boom for the bullet. Bullets traveling under the speed of sound do not produce the "High Pitch Crack", thus they are quieter. Also, most of your MATCH GRADE ammo is subsonic because when the bullet breaks the sound barrier, it can effect the path of the bullet, just slightly, but enough make an otherwise 10 ring shot a 9 or 8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have your dope out to 200 yards? </div></div>

Not as yet; but I will have it, as soon as my scope issues are sorted out.

I now have bases on ordered: (Warnes) & Rings: Burris Signature 30mm Z-Rings w/inserts both due next week; I do not have a suitable scope yet, but I will have either Falcon 10x42T or SS 10x42, by the end of next week at the earliest.

I have match ammo in hand (Lapua, CCI, & Federal) as you recommended. I have a sling, bipod, mat, rear bag, et al. I just need the proper scope... Then comes doping from 25 yds to 225.

Bob

I would suggest a Nikon Buckmaster with mildots.
I like a variable scope somewhere in the 4-14 / 6 - 18 range.
It is also nice to get one that will focus at 30 yds or less.

With a 50 yard zero, your dope will be close to this:

50 - 0
75 - 3 moa
100 - 6-7 moa (my actual is 7 1/4)
125 - 10
150 - 14
200 - 24

My rifle is dead on at 25 yards with a 50 yard zero.
Also with a 50 yard zero at 75 yards you can use your first mildot and the 2nd mildot at 100 yards.

Nice rifle and you have gotten pretty much the same advice I'd give.

Only suggestion I have, is that if you get the urge to modify the rifle or stock, DON'T. Keep it for squirrels or sell it to a local smallbore silhouette shooter (or go try smallbore silhouette yourself!). Those are nice rifles and beat the heck out of most other American made rifles that fit in the SB Silhouette Hunter rifle category!

sobrbiker883,

No urge to modify, mutilate, or improve Kimber HS. I like just as it is. I merely expanding it's use. I'm going to keep my old Leupold EFR 3.5-10x50, and mount it again when tree rat season rolls around. In the meantime, shooting .22LR tactical with it and adding a second modest mildot turreted scope seems to be a useful expansion of it's duties, and off season practice can only help.

Thanks,

Bob

I am getting some aguila?? super max 22lr pills to try they start off @ 1750fps according to the box and I will be chronoing them @ 100y to see if they stay supersonic. I hope that the gun likes them and that I will have a flat shooting 22 past 100y.
I'll post what i find out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting some aligia?? super max 22lr pills to try they start off @ 1750fps according to the box and I will be chronoing them @ 100y to see if they stay supersonic. I hope that the gun likes them and that I will have a flat shooting 22 past 100y.
I'll post what i find out </div></div>

Aguila is OK for practice, but in my experience there has not be any Aguila ammo that was consistent enough for winning these 22lr tactical matches. The Aguila match ammo can shoot some decent groups but there are always these occassional flyers that can blow a stage.

However, Your rifle might really like it. Each rifle has its unique preferences.

Don't skimp on good ammo, it will only lead to frustration....

skimp? it's the fastest 22lr in the world!...

lol

I weigh my 22's and sort them and the light and heavy ones end up as plinkers

when shooting a .22 speed does not equal accuracy.....

I guess everyone needs to go through the learning curve to find out what works. Too easy just to take the advice.

We all arrive at the same conclusion in the end.....

no truer words spoken my friend....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess everyone needs to go through the learning curve to find out what works. Too easy just to take the advice.

We all arrive at the same conclusion in the end..... </div></div>

if your going prone a shooting mat (keeps the comfort level somewhat higher and the gravel out of your skin), definately go with the subsonic ammo as it is more predictable at distance and in the wind, depending on what type of match and the distance bring along a spotting scope to confirm the hits. wind gauge with wind dope for your ammo. once again depending on what type of match your shooting and for the amount of $ you going to spend on the turrets, perhaps yould be better off getting another scope with a mildot reticle or a plain target dot reticle that comes with user friendly turrets. then if the tactical route isn't up your alley, you can sell the scope.

Top Predator,

Thanks for the tips; I do already have a Shooting Mat - Voodoo Tactical Padded; I already have a spotter Nikon XL 16-48; I am going with match sub-sonic ammo; based on all recommendations I've received, so I've scrapped the HV ammo plan.

I'm scrapping modifying my current 3.5-10x50mm EFR Leupold for the moment, and I have a slightly used Falcon Menace 10x42 w/MP20 reticle I just bought and it's way to me.

No wind gauge as yet, and as soon as I get the scope mounted, it's off to the range.

Thanks,

Bob