• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22lr vs 700 yard 16oz water bottle at night

Solscud007

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 25, 2022
Henderson, NV
An evolution from our adventures of hitting a soda can 700 yards away with .22lr.

Both my friends Kythe and Kevin each hit a soda can in the day time.

We decided to increase the challenge and do it at night with night vision and MWIR cooled thermal to help spot.

Seeing a cold can of soda with thermal at 700 yards is childs play. But how to get it to show up for the shooters?

We decided to switch to standard 16oz water bottles. Remove the labels and drop a chemlight inside it.

We set two with visible chemlight and one with IR.

Again Kythe and Kevin managed to get a water bottle with their Vudoo rifles. I put up a valiant effort with a Bergara B14R.

Our friend Vic ended up getting the last water bottle with his .308. LOL.

The first attempt used ambient temp water bottles. It made finding them with thermal a bit harder than expected. So after Kythe and Kevin got their hits they decided to go out and check them. I grabbed a cold bottle of water from Vic’s cooler. Don’t know why we didn’t think of using ice cold water bottles from the get go. LOL.

I didn’t keep track of my friend’s. There was considerably less wind than when they hit the soda can at 700 yards in the day time a few weeks ago. That attempt only took 29 rds of SK Long Range.

I shot at least two boxes of Long Range and just danced around the water bottle.

22LR ELR shooting can be very good lesson at spotting if performed correctly
as in spot, measure, call, while keeping cone of fire in mind and collecting data for the estimation of elevation/windage settings for the next shot.

If the basics of spotting are in good shape the fast pace/dynamics of 22LR really up the challenge positively and increase difficulty.

Reactions: Deadeyeky81