• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22Trainers with NO rear sights ??

USMC1612

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Has anyone ever done a survey of .22 trainers that were brought back from the "Great War" that had NO REAR SIGHTS? I ask this because I have seen several trainers of late that have been "brought back" that did NOT have rear sights. I think that the fact that that the rear sights are missing is strange, in that they don't just fall off. The Germans did a great job of not only soldering them on but also using a steel pin. I have a theory that maybe these rifles were actually sniper training rifles with scopes attached and that they were removed prior to being made available to the troops to "bring Back". What do you guys think ?

Re: .22Trainers with NO rear sights ??

I have seen a couple without rear sights as well but did not stop to think much about it. I don't know the answer but I do no think the optic would have created such a restriction like that. I have a few people I can ask about it, but it will be a bit before I get their response.

Re: .22Trainers with NO rear sights ??

The "Great War" would have been WWI. Between WWI and WWII is when the Germans started making trainers on a large scale. The rifles you see with out sights are usually "Club" rifles like the ES 350 series that had an adjustable for eye relief rear sight. These also had provisions for diopter sights by using the dovetail on the receiver. There are two known sniper DSM 34's that used the ZF 41 scope in place of the tangent rear sight. These were consecutive serial numbered and found on opposite side of the US.
The ZF scope mount used the existing rear sight base. Pictures are in Jon Speeds book on the Mauser smallbores.