• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22x47 Lapua Build

FreddyD

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2023
Lake city sd
Building a short barrel 22x47 Lapua to shoot 77TMK or 80-85 grain bergers for a night coyote thermal rig. Thinking 18" barrrel carbon or steel. Looking for action suggestions and barrel manufacturer and twist suggestions please. Any reamer suggestions for the smith as well.

Thinking using manners night stalker stock when available.

Thanks.

I have a 20" 22 creed which is close... I would go with the minimum twist possible for the heaviest bullet you want to shoot. I don't know from personal experience, but @Frank Green believes 5 groove barrels may help reduce/prevent bullet jacket separation. If your gunsmith cuts the throat separate, then I would send him a few cases with bullets seated where you want them. If not, you will be limited to whatever he has on hand. Lots of great actions out there so it's kind of personal preference.

I have a 20" 22 creed which is close... I would go with the minimum twist possible for the heaviest bullet you want to shoot. I don't know from personal experience, but @Frank Green believes 5 groove barrels may help reduce/prevent bullet jacket separation. If your gunsmith cuts the throat separate, then I would send him a few cases with bullets seated where you want them. If not, you will be limited to whatever he has on hand. Lots of great actions out there so it's kind of personal preference.
The odd number of grooves distorts/upsets the bullet jacket less. Which in turn does help fight bullet failure.

Twist rate, bullet issues, damage to the bore or a really rough throat either from chambering or from shooting.... these things also can cause bullet failure.

Also now I have proof that 5R rifling helps the flight of the bullet... which leads to more consistency or if you will better accuracy. When you run really high pressure ammo or things similar to that.... burrs can be formed on the bullets jacket. I've seen them and they measured as big as a 1/32". This burr can effect the bc of the bullet by as much as 5%. You might not see the effect at short range but it will have a bigger impact at longer distances on how the bullet flies. This was found when doing ammo/bullet testing on 5R barrels vs 4 groove and 6 groove barrels. The 5R rifling never caused the issue.