• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

23" vs 25" 6.5 creedmoor

I think the rule of thumb is 50 fps per inch, so you'd be limiting your velocity by 100 fps all else being equal.

I think the rule of thumb is 50 fps per inch, so you'd be limiting your velocity by 100 fps all else being equal.

More like 20 fps / in, losing 40 fps going 2" shorter which is lost in the noise.

My thoughts are a lot depends on the contour. Shorter barrels are stiffer. My minimum contour for a 22" is a #4 and i bump that up a contour for every 2" added to compensate for the extra torque. If your contour is a 5 id go 24"if its heavier i go with your 25". There are limits. In my opinon anything less than 20" is too loud and loses too much juice in anything burning 40+ grains. Even 20" is pushing it. You can always shorten but you cant add:)

My next 6.5 build will be a 20-21.5", in one of the following: Fluted Light Palma or Varmint/Sendero, or #4 round. Flutes for looks, I want shorter for handling, it will be more for hunting, but some paper/steel. If it were ONLY for hunting I would go #3 round or 700 mag contour. I dislike blast, but handling is key for me, especially out of deer blinds, etc. NO animal fairly hit will know the speed on impact. If I wanted to shoot really far, and mostly sitting at a bench, then handling is a non-issue, take a 24-26" to lower blast and pick up a little speed. A Creed will lose 20-30fps per inch, and 2" should not be meaningful on impact, and the little diff can be dialed in compensate. One has to first know how they will use a rifle to decide how they want it to handle, balance, what it weighs, etc.

Actually, it's more like 23fps per inch, or at least that what it is with the 6 Creedmoor, Id' like to think the 6.5 would be about the same.

Thanks for the info that is about what I thought, seemed like most of the other how long threads had been for the .260, just wasn't exactly sure on on Creed but it seems that 25 fps per inch is the consensus from this thread and some other reading I have been doing, but with each barrel being unique.