• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .233 ammunition versus 5.56 pressure problems

Dnien

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2009
Kansas
www.d9firearms.com
I built a couple of AR-15 uppers for some clients and when test firing each upper I could not get the bolt to latch back on the last shot. After changing gas blocks, BCGs, etc, I finally tried some 5.56 ammo and it worked fine. The ammo I was originally using was .223 PPU 69grn.

Has anyone experienced an issue with low pressure due to using .223 ammo or .223 PPU 69grn?

Thanks
D9

Re: .233 ammunition versus 5.56 pressure problems

I changed out lowers, buffers, springs, gas blocks everything 3 different ways from Santa Clause. I'm basically bald now.

I pretty much nailed it down to the ammo, or so I think. I'm going to run another test tonight. I'm interested to see if anyone has experienced an issue with the ammo.

Also, my bolt was very wet, I tried multiple lowers, several uppers. In three years of building I had not experienced that one.

I would check the gas hole in the barrel for alignment or it maybe undersized. I had a build that did the same thing only to find out that the hole was not drilled in the right spot there was only a part of the hole in-line with front sight block. Almost like a M-1a or M14 when you turn the gas system screw to the off position to control brass throw.

D9, I think you will find Koganinja is most likely correct. All AR's are not created equal. I say this for everyones value and infer nothing on you knowledge or builds.
Her is the deal, There is a standard called MilSpec and everyone is suppose to meet its tolerances. Most of the big guys, Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, and Fulton Armory are just about spot on with the MilSpec guidelines; however, not everyone has the quality controls that the big guys have. Most of the smaller guys are good with tolerances on most stuff, Stag Arms, Saber Def, Mikes, Spider, etc... but there are a few that have an awesome concept and fail to meet all the tolerances. An example of this is my POF. The lower was very innovative in design features like the enlarged permanent "V" shaped trigger guard, Wide beveled mag well etc... But some of the holes for pins were drilled too small and I had to open them up. Additionally the cut-out for the Bolt Latch spring was not drilled deep enough. Although, these were of no issue to me as I was able do the little amount of gunsmithing that was needed. To someone who has never experienced these kinds of issues, they may presented a problem. The lesson here is, know what you are buying. A less expensive product may not have the quality you would expect. I know of issues in the past with Rock River Arms uppers being out of tolerances, they seem to have addressed them since then. And I have also seen issues with mass produced barrels (often sold by big parts clearing houses like Model 1). I have even heard of issues with Bushmaster parts but I have never had issues with them and I consider them 1st rate. Often people blog about issues with a gun made from a variety of manufactures parts and incorrectly identify the issue to begin with.
But I digress, As I stated before, these may not be your issue with this weapon but everyone should know who makes the parts they are building with and understand that all AR's are not made equal. Just my 2 cents.

Do you use a bore scope to check the gas hole alignment? For doing any kind of AR barrel work I could not live with out one. I would double check that if you have not already.

I think If I were out building rifles for customers I would at least have a clue WTF is going on.

Have ou tried decent ammo? By PPU ammo do you mean the Partisan crap? If so I have some that came from midway when I ordered ammo for when I got home. Would function half assed in my Colt HBAR elite w/24" barrel. The only time this rifle has ever FTF on me.

A manufacturer of a clamp on gas block told me one time to just turn the rifle upside down and let gravity pull the gas block in the correct position, then clamp it down!!!

Again, you need to verify it with a bore scope to make sure your holes are lined up.

If the upper posts don't fix the issue you might try looking at the gas rings on the bolt, sometimes they can become aligned just right and release pressure. Hey somtimes its the simple thing in life give us the most problems.