• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.233 build question.

Bigzams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
San Marcos Texas
This is for a Remington 700 in a Mcrees. The time has come for me to pick my barrel and i am at the cross roads of 1:9 and 1:8. I like the 1:9 since that seems to be the universal middle of the road great for a wide range of projectiles. On the other hand the 1:8 would be great and really getting out there with some 80 gr a max. Some one out there have a 1:8 that you shoot 55 gr projectiles? How did it shoot? Part of me wants to go the old faithful route and just go with the 1:9 since it has been tested and proven. What do you guys that run .223 bolt guns have as far as twists?
-Rene

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/184450-50gr-z-max-v-max-30-1-7-twist.html

Get a 1-7 or a 1-7.5

1-8 may or may not handle the 80amax.

No reason in the world to go any slower than 1-8, that is, unless you want your rifle to suck.

DOUBLE-TURBO54!, I have a savage 12 with a 26in tube in 1:9 and I am dying to re barrel it into 1:7 so I can shoot the 80-Amax I tried the 80's single loaded through my 1:8 twist 18in AR and no joy there either. I doubt I will ever get a .223 barrel in anything more than 1:8.

That is where I am stuck at is that the majority of my shooting will be inside 500 yards.Where a 55gr would do the trick. I just need to make sure that the 1:7 would be able to handle the 55gr for most of my shooting and the heavies for the occasional outing to 1k.
My next question would be barrel length I kinda had it in my head i wanted a 20 inch gun but I am starting to think longer may be better.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading/184450-50gr-z-max-v-max-30-1-7-twist.html

Get a 1-7 or a 1-7.5

1-8 may or may not handle the 80amax.

No reason in the world to go any slower than 1-8, that is, unless you want your rifle to suck.

Interesting.
I never ran the stability numbers and it never even occurred to me that my 8 twist would not stabilize the 80grAmax (mine shoots bugholes)?
I shot all of mine and dont have a bullet to measure OAL and run it through the calculations.
Does anyone have an 80Amax handy?

I have had trouble with the 80 Amax and Bergers singled loaded out of a 20" 1/8 AR during the winter in Fairbanks. When this happened my first thought was that the barrel was a slower twist than advertised, but I checked with a cleaning rod and it was dead on. For this reason I would never get another .223 that wasn't 1/7.5 twist or faster.

This is for a Remington 700 in a Mcrees.

With a short barrel, you would be better off going with a 1-7.5. The 80 gr bullets stabilize well out of my 1-8 barrel but I am using a 28" barrel.

55's will shoot OK out of a fast twit barrel, but with enough freebore to handle the 80 grain bullets, they will be far from the rifling. Or if you choose a freebore length suitable for 55s, the 80s will be seated pretty far into the case, taking away powder volume and thus cutting back on velocity.

You'll have to optimize your chamber (meaning freebore length) for one or the other. Of course the other issue is if you seat the 80s long enough, you might not be able to feed from the mag. Best bet is get some 80s and 55s, any old brass and load up some dummy rounds to see what things measure regarding mag feeding.

Don't forget there are 68, 69, 75 and 77 match bullets, plus various weight Bergers, all of which will work fine in a 1-8 barrel. The 68, 69 will work in the 1-9 also. 55's in a fast twist will work but usually won't be as accurate, the increased spin plus the fact they may not be as "round" and balanced as a match bullet will open up their group size a little. 52/53 match will work better than the 55 in the fast or slower twist. Build the gun for its prime purpose.