• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

24 inch fluted or 18 fluted DPMS upper???

Norsemen308

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2010
in the double rainbow
So I am hearing different things on these uppers, The gun will pretty much be a bench gun, but I do like the idea of shooting deer with my AR... I have been told by a few owners of the 18 inch that they are shooting consistent groups at 800 yards, If thats true I imagine this is all i would need! But are there any fall backs of not going with the 24? I have been told the 24 is a very very heavy stick and that I would probably not be able to hunt with that barrel because of it.

anyone want to kick in a opinion or two and help guide me??

Re: 24 inch fluted or 18 fluted DPMS upper???

My DPMS (24" fluted BBL) with VTAC forend and harris bipod, weighed in at a tad over 14 lbs with the optic on and magazine in. I doubt you want to lug the weight of the 24 incher around. Suffice it to say, my 2 upcoming builds are 18" and 20" respectively, all I will ever need.

Not an AR platform but I recently cut down my Savage 10FP bolt gun from 24" down to 18.5", it's definitely my favorite modification so far...

I have 2 Ar's in 24" Bull configuration, that I use specifically off the bench or prone for target shooting and prairie dog hunting. I prefer the extra weight to stay on target even easier.

The 24" does make for quite a long weapon though, and if I was to use one to carry, I would prefer my 18 or 20".

The nice thing about the AR platform is that you can have more than one upper, and switch out to the most appropriate length suited to the task.