• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

24" vs. 26" 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel....

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Gents,

I have an AI AE rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor on order.
The catch is, I originally requested a 1 in 8" twist 26" barrel, but it will take another month or month and a half to get that barrel. However, a 1 in 8" twist 24" barrel is ready to go and I can have it in a week or two.....making a very sweet Christmas present to myself.
smile.gif

I guess my question is: how much velocity will I lose with going from a 26" to a 24"? If it makes any difference, both barrels are Bartlein.

I know that the 26" was very highly recommended, so I don't want to go with the 24" if you think that the 24" will produce a MV that's too low.

In full disclosure, The range I shoot at is a 1,000 yard range. Will I ever shoot the rifle past 1,000 yards? Probably not. That being said, I would like to at least be able to make it to 1,250 or 1,300 yards with a 140gr pill if possible. I just don't want to go with the 24" barrel simply because I can get it quickly if it will handicap me in the long run.

Any feedback/expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Poppa1
Re: 24" vs. 26" 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel....

Tag. Im stuck between these two lengths for my upcoming build.

I can't answer your question but do have a recommendation: wait and get exactly what you want. Every time I've settled I regretted it afterwards.

Reactions: Arctic Cowboy

Probably 30-40 fps, factory hornadys loads are tested in 24" barrel at 2700 fps which is still supersonic at 1350 at sea level according to bullet flight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rainier42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't answer your question but do have a recommendation: wait and get exactly what you want. Every time I've settled I regretted it afterwards.</div></div>

Bingo! Wait and get the 26".

Would you get a 6 cylinder over a V8 just b/c they had it on the lot? Wait.. faster is cooler, all the kids will tell ya.

I don't know, maybe I got a freak barrel but my Rock Creek barrel is 21" and I'm seeing 2830 through the chrono and real world dope averaging more like 2800. I see many people post there loads and velocities on here and I really haven't seen people getting that much higher with the 24"-26" barrels HOWEVER, if your going to compete go as long as you can even if it's only 50 fps. I'm having 25" Creedmoor built strictly as a competition gun, I figure I'll only pick up 50-75fps but every little bit helps.

I agree with the others, wait and get what you want but I don't think your velocity would suffer more then 20-30fps if you went with a 24". Hell, factory ammo usually has a spread of 20-30fps anyway, sometimes more.

i went 24 on my new 260 bbl... it will have a can on it 100% of the time, so with the free bore boost, ill break even on FPS if i had to guess...

We have both extremes, we use 15" barrels on our LR pistols and 28" on our LR rifles all in 260 rem. We don't push either length guns and the 28" gets 2820 and the 15" gets 2525. Both lengths are incredibly accurate with the 140 Hornady BTHP with the only difference being we have to add in a bit more elevation and also windage as we get out to the 1000 yard targets with the pistol

Accuracy is what you need foremost then velocity should be second consideration. We always have wind at our ranges and that bit more speed you'll get with the longer barrel might get you an edge hit on your first shot if you miscalculate the wind instead of a near miss we'd get with the same correction on our LR pistol. Some barrels shoot as fast as some longer barrels but if it's purely for LR competition I'd wait and go for the longer barrel even if it only gives you an extra 50fps that one or two extra hits and points will move you higher up the win list.

Just my thoughts since we play with both ends of the barrel length game and are happy with the way both perform.

Topstrap

Wait for what you originally wanted. No sense in compromising with all the time and money you will have tied up in it and you can always cut shorter... cant add on.

I suggest you get yourself something else for Christmas and save this one for Valentine's when you fall in love with your 26" barrel. More toys= more fun.

I've always been happier when I chose what I really wanted over instant gratification.
wink.gif

i vote just get the 24" and try and have a goal to shoot it out in less than a year, just order the 26" as a replacement when you get to the 1500rd mark. guys worry too much about a couple inches, 24" will still give pretty good velocity and its short enough it won't be ridiculous with a can on it. I have been shooting for years 6 and 6.5mm 50fps is just not really noticeable in field/match conditions

Reactions: Laredo308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TeamSendIt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys worry too much about a couple inches,</div></div>There's a joke in there somewhere.
laugh.gif

My next .260 barrel will have 23" of rifling. That said, if I went with the Creed with any plans of using factory ammo it wouldn't be less than 26" OAL.

Krieger MTU at 24"
I am getting a consistent 2750 with 140 Amax factory load.

Guess I will stick with the 26" barrel. I had a feeling that was going to be the general consensus, but it was worth asking.

Thanks for the responses.

My question is if you reload. If you do, a 24" barrel enough, and the velocity can be made up with loading hotter.

Nope. Don't reload yet.
That's my next adventure. I'm more of a trigger puller at this stage.

Even if you did reload I would say wait for the 26" barrel. No need to push it hard to get the extra velocity. Also gives you the option of getting good velocities from factory and also being to load. In the grand scheme of things what's a couple months really?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krieger MTU at 24"
I am getting a consistent 2750 with 140 Amax factory load. </div></div>

Krieger 28" 2785 factory loaded dope confirmed no chrono

The extra 2 inches won't make all that much difference in velocity, but it will make a big difference in maneuverability. Swinging the rifle between targets will be harder. If you are only shooting varmints, or doing slow fire at long distance, that won't matter though.

I guess you will need to evaluate whether the 20-40 FPS is all that important, or wether maneuverability is that important. If you need velocity, and don't need maneuverability, then go with the long barrel.

Finding a case to fit long barrels is a pain though...I have a 27 inch barrel on my 260 Remington, and it is about 48 inches long overall with the brake and a manners stock. It barely fits into my longest case, and I think the zipper will bust out in a while from the extra stress. I need to get an extra long bag, about 50 inches. The 48 inch bags are only 48 inches long, and will only fit a 47 inch rifle...

I've been wondering about this too. 24 or 26?!?!? I've got a can pending that I'm going to put on it...maybe I'll go 25!

24 will get you to 1000 and then some, 26 will make it a hair easier.
either barrel will do just fine, get both, try them out and sell the one you like the least.
good luck

My Creedmoor used to have a 28" barrel until I set it back. Had no problem swinging it around or using it at sniper comps crawling through concrete tubes and over things. It's easily done as is making multiple shots. It takes practice.

28" barrel fit in Tac ops drag bag very easily and also in starlight cases and has flown around the country.

Wait for the 26" barrel.

I must have my LOP too long. My 28" is 51" and won't fit in any cases but the LONG pelican that is 450$. Going to cut it to 24 and thread it when I get my can.

I've heard from many a 6.5 shooter that 23" was a preferred barrel length for that round. I think if you got the 24" you would be very happy. It will make it to 1300 yards no problem.
Who knows if ya happen to get a fast barrel you might pick up that extra 30-60 fps anyway.

When I had SAC build mine, I asked the same questions. Rob01 and Mark Agreed that the longer barrels were better. Mark mentioned that he did alot of testing and suggested the 26.3" barrel. He said that was the "sweet spot" I went that route and if works rather well for me. Standard factory loads are at 2825, haven't got my dies yet to load my own.

It's easy to say that the longer barrel will allow less pressure to get the bullet to a given distance, and I've said that a lot.

But there's more to it. Unless the same velocity matches the second barrel's accuracy node, matching a specific velocity is pointless.

My experience with the .260 tells me either barrel length will reach 1Kyd with adequate velocity, and maybe even 1Km.

Personally, I equate 6.5CM and .260 to a very close equivalence.

Greg

One more question:
If I'm getting an AE in a fixed stock (26" barrel), how long of a cleaning rod would I need? 40" or 44"??

I know the folders are popular, but does anyone have any experience with a fixed AI and a 26" barrel?

Thanks in advance.