• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

240 Weatherby Loads

m700.308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
I am helping my uncle build a new rifle. He's decided to go with a 240 Weatherby, something he's always wanted...so here we go.

Does anyone have load data? This will be a hunting rifle, so I was thinking about the 87gn VLD or 90gn ELD's. But with that much powder behind them, maybe something a bit heavier shoots?

Figured an 8 twist should be fine, @3300fps +- it should be stable.

What about powder? H4831, IMR4064, RL15?

Any help would be great!

Once you decide on bullet then choose powder. H4831 should be the fastest burning powder. View a burn rate chart. You might consider going to H1000 or IMR 7828. I am sure there are also some newer powders I am not familiar with that will be as good or better. Take RL 15 and IMR 4064 off your list for this big 6MM.

You will also catch flack for going belted. Just ignore it. Some real ignorance and hate is directed toward belted cartridges today. The belt is neither good or bad, it is just there.

Reactions: m700.308
Once you decide on bullet then choose powder. H4831 should be the fastest burning powder. View a burn rate chart. You might consider going to H1000 or IMR 7828. I am sure there are also some newer powders I am not familiar with that will be as good or better. Take RL 15 and IMR 4064 off your list for this big 6MM.

You will also catch flack for going belted. Just ignore it. Some real ignorance and hate is directed toward belted cartridges today. The belt is neither good or bad, it is just there.

Thank you for the info. I hear belted adds 10fps ;)

I have always heard good things about 4831, fast, temp stable powder and seems fairly easy to get a hold of. I will start there.

After a bit more research I am thinking the 87gn VLD will be our starting point.

Also CCI 250 primers?

I am a fan of using the slowest powder for the app. Look at IMR 7828 and H1000 for the heavy bullets. I like Fed 215 M primers but others should work.

Reactions: m700.308
This manual includes most of the published (by bullet and powder manufacturers) load data for 240 Wby: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reloading-Manual-Weatherby-Magnum/dp/B0032CPT9A

Load data for newer powders is somewhat difficult to find. I have a semi-custom 240 Wby Mark V with a Krieger barrel on order with an estimated Dec delivery date. Ordered it at the beginning of the year so I hope it arrives on time.