• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

240 Weatherby

idahoshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Idaho
Tell me if Im crazy. Sitting here tonight bsing about a new coyote weapon with friends this caliber came up. Anyone have any experience with one? Seems to me a 115 dtac at 33-3400 FPS would be amazing if you could get it to hold together. Crazy thought or viable option? Oh, I dont care about barrel life
smile.gif

Re: 240 Weatherby

I have a custom 1903a3 with a krieger 26" barrel in 240 weatherby that is a great shooter. I had it built for 100 grain bullets to use on antelope and deer. Brass is hard to get as weatherby is the only manufacter. The .30-06 case head makes rebarreling easier. As you already know it's pretty hard on barrels. All I can say is try one.

Personally I'd go with a 6mm Rem. or 6mm Ackley over the Weatherby.

If the cost of Weatherby brass doesn't scare you off, go for it. Otherwise, consider a 6mm-06. Pretty much same case capacity as .240 Weatherby. Of course, it's a wildcat, so you'd need to build a new rifle or rebarrel an existing long action.

Thanks for the input guys. 6-06 is an interesting thought. Does anyone know if a dtac will hold at those kinds of speeds? It would probably be a good candidate for a gain twist 1-9 to 1-8 or something.

i have a couple in the safe, hunting with them thru the years, but favored the 257. if you get one let me know, i have a ton of brass.

Will do. The brass looks spendy but Im told its high quality stuff so Im not too concerned if I go that route.