• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 1/7 or 1/8tw for the heavies??

Ouch!!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Western, KY
Im getting ready to get a barrel for my .243 for some 105 amax's and 105 vld's. Would you take the 1/8 if it was available now or wait an extra month for a 1/7?

Re: .243 1/7 or 1/8tw for the heavies??

8 twist will work with those and if it's a true 8 twist then it should work with the 115s also.

Its a mcgowen barrel. Not sure if its a true 8 twist but I have heard good things about them for the savage.

Cut rifled then it's probably a true 8 twist. Sometimes with button rifled barrels the twist can be a little off the listed twist. I had a button rifled 10 twist barrel that was closer to 10.75 twist. Same with a 12 twist that was near 12.5.

Even 8.5 would work with the 105s though. As well as the AMAX you should also look at the new Hornady 105 BTHP. Has a .530 BC.
http://www.hornady.com/store/6mm-.243-105-GR-BTHP-Match/

I would think about shooting those, but I use all my rounds for hunting rounds. So I either shoot amax's or hunting vld's for both the .243 and 7mm. The 338LM on the other hand, is waiting for some big amax's for it.

You should do a search over on 6mmbr.com. When I was researching this question a couple years ago most guys who tried true 7's were using them for tomato stakes because because the accuracy just was not there. The consensus then was a 7.75 or a 7.5 at the most for 115's. But dont take my word for it do the search; a 7 in button rifled savage pre-chamber may actually be in that range as rob01 discussed.

Sioux

Earlier this year I had George build me a 6xc chambered specifically for 115 dtacs. I went with his recommended 1:7.7 Bartlein; and it hammers! My 14 year old son quickly laid claim to this rifle ;>).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im getting ready to get a barrel for my .243 for some 105 amax's and 105 vld's. Would you take the 1/8 if it was available now or wait an extra month for a 1/7? </div></div>

I tried waiting once. Couldn't stand the pressure. Good luck. Either way it will work out for ya. CD

I have a .243 with a 1:8 twist and a 6XC with a 1:7.5. Both shoot 115's and 107's equally well.

I would think a 1:7 would be a bit fast.

Take care,Stan

Can someone please explain what a "true" 1/8 twist is? I'm guessing that it means 1/8 and not 1/8.5 but I'm not sure. clarification would be greatly appreciated.

have a great Thanksgiving holliday.

Button rifled barrels will not always be "true" in that the button skids a little as it comes down the bore. This causes the twist to be slightly slower than what the button was cut for.

The better manufacturers out there that still make button rifled barrels account for this with cutting the button a touch faster than the goal is and you end up with a very close value to the advertised.

For a 243 at distance, shooting the 115gr class bullets I would go with a 1/7.7tw

Have used a 7.5 twist in a 6 mm RAT (AR 15 platform, 6.5 Grendel necked down) and 7.8 twist for a 6mm Dasher. Both shoot from 87 gr V-max to 108 Berger very well. Haven't tried the 115 yet but plan to. Rat is a White Oak and Dasher is a Krieger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9sigman45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I went with his recommended 1:7.7 Bartlein; and it hammers! </div></div>

Ditto. 95's, 105's, 115's, shoot's them all into very nice, consistent groups to 1000yds.

Well I ordered some amax's when someone said they were available. I then ran into someone looking for 500 amax's that was trading some dtac's so I traded. Looking forward to see how they work out, plan on getting the mcgowen precision 1/8tw barrel soon and go from there.