• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 @ 1000 yards?

Re: .243 @ 1000 yards?

The bullet sure needs to be a heavy one. Maybe 105 VLD or higher. It will do better the the .308 that is for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of accuracy have you got with your .243 out to 1000 yards? What loads were you using? </div></div>

I shoot a 243 Ackley Imp. with the 115 DTAC and 105 Amax. 1:7.75 twist. it is very accurate if I do my part.

holds 3.27" groups at 500. I usually don't shoot for groups past that. Coyotes don't care about sub MOA...
grin.gif

I like to range unknown rocks, stumps, boulders and dial and shoot out past 500. better practice for what I do.

First shot hits is what I strive for... doesn't always work, but getting more consistent all the time.

The 6mm projectile has been winning long range matches for years. In many different cartridge cases.

The .243 win is very capable at 1000. earlier this year i had mine out just past 1100 yards. and was able to hold it to a 14 inch rock. mind you conditions were almost perfect that day. I was running 105 Amax over a full case of Retumbo in a 9.25 twist. that got me 3020 fps.

****WARNING THREAD JACKING ABOUT TO TAKE PLACE****

speaking of .243, maybe some of you with .243 knowledge can help me out. I measeured the twist of a shillen barrel that I put on for varminting. The twist measues 1/10.5. I can not shoot bullets heavier than 85 gr without accuracy going to hell...the heaviest i can shoot and still keep shots on a 8/12 peice of paper are 100gr gamekings, and they still group around 6 inches. I tried some 105 Amaxes and 105 Noslers, but they dont even hold minute of target accuracy...should I exect this out of heavier bullets...

I know that most factory .243 will shoot 100+ grain bullets, just wondering if my twist is made slow specificly for light bullets, or if I have some other issue..

It will pile 75-85gr bullets in to one hole, so I know it will shoot.....Is it my twist?

suggestions/opinions please...the .243 is a sweet 1k gun, just not mine. I watched a buddy smacking steel with his .243AI, no problems.

It's not just the weight, but also the length and bearing surface of the bullet and the velocity that makes a difference. From a very reliable source I have heard of a 12-twist .308 stabilizing the 170gr FP and 200gr subsonics. It's not supposed to happen, but it does, depending on the barrel. Assuming eveything else is fine, I'd say yours is probably a twist and bore diameter issue. Yank the barrel off, use it in the garden for a growing stick, and get a 26" Schneider 7.5 twist and a case of 115's. Then you'll shoot flatter than a 300WM, as accurately, and with no recoil.

I like my shillen...its shoots too well to tear apart. A more satisfying answer would be: "Buy a FN action like I did, and get a 26" Schneider 7.5 twist and a case of 115's. Then you'll shoot flatter than a 300WM, as accurately, and with no recoil."

Looks like I better get back to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of accuracy have you got with your .243 out to 1000 yards? What loads were you using? </div></div>

best group I have shot ever at a 1000 was with a tight necked 243 using 107 smk's and rl 22
have taken a different gun =243ai out to 1200yds easy on boone and crocket rocks no problem also using 107smk's and amax's ....the amax's are about 1 moa lower than the 107's ....lapua scenars about a moa higher but I love rl 22 in the std 243 as well as the ai

Any one running the 105 amax over H1000 ? Im just about to start load development with combo and strongly considering mag primers, any insight about this general load assembly would be appreciated.

These will be wiped down range through a 1-8 twist 26 inch barrel, I expect a max range for my shooting to be 500 yards but 1000 is not out of the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, don't search for info on the 243 at long distance here. There is a ton of info and I wouldn't want you to be overwhelmed.

115 Dtacs, 6.5 mil to 1K easy as pie. </div></div>

Found all the info I needed on http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html , i just wanted to see what people would say on here about it when I asked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RonHam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one running the 105 amax over H1000 ? Im just about to start load development with combo and strongly considering mag primers, any insight about this general load assembly would be appreciated.

These will be wiped down range through a 1-8 twist 26 inch barrel, I expect a max range for my shooting to be 500 yards but 1000 is not out of the question. </div></div>

I've shot this combo with great accuracy in my Savage both with the factory varmint tube (1-9.25 twist) and the LW 1-8 twist using both Lapua and Winchester brass and CCI mag primers. IIRC my most accurate load was around 45 gr. for 3075 fps but I'll look for my notes when I get a chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, don't search for info on the 243 at long distance here. There is a ton of info and I wouldn't want you to be overwhelmed.

115 Dtacs, 6.5 mil to 1K easy as pie. </div></div>

Found all the info I needed on http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html , i just wanted to see what people would say on here about it when I asked. </div></div>

EMERGENCY

Nobody post anything on this forum after this post, this is a read only forum. I repeat this is a read only forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fibonacci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a read only forum? </div></div>

i was just joking because some people on here don't think that you should ever ask about something that has been asked in the past. My argument to this would be that a certain topic may be so far down that a lot of members that may have good input on their experiences might not have ever seen the topic.

What do you guys think the max range for the plain 243 is? Think it could be stretched to 1300 reliably lol.

I am not sure about 1300. But I think 1200 would be reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think the max range for the plain 243 is? Think it could be stretched to 1300 reliably lol. </div></div>

105 AMAX & Berger VLDs @3100, 115 DTAC @ 3050 will easily get you there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fibonacci</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's a read only forum? </div></div>

i was just joking because some people on here don't think that you should ever ask about something that has been asked in the past. My argument to this would be that a certain topic may be so far down that a lot of members that may have good input on their experiences might not have ever seen the topic.</div></div>

Or...Or... Some people are too lazy to try and take 30 seconds for a search. It's amazing what I found inputing only a few key words. Of course, it's much easier to post a redundant question without making any effort. How long ago a post was made is irrelevant, all it takes is one key stroke to increase the time frame from one month, 5 months, 2 years.

Many people with knowledge aren't going to answer these questions. It's not because they don't want to help, they are tired of the lack of effort that seems to emit from a majority of new posters. Although they are not the ones that are going to step up and yell "search!", they're also the same ones that wont bother to help because they don't want to reward what *appears* to be blatant laziness.

Just my $.02

To sum that up: Use the search feature before you ask questions!!!

the search function is shit, it gives you 50 results from a single thread, and it bought me here when I was searching for .223 ackley instead of asking about it

I am shooting a Tubb T2K in 6CM its based off of a .243 casing 49 gr of H1000 and 1000 is no isssue at all.
Still working on loads but velocity is 3010 to 3018 FPS.
at 200 its shooting 1/4"

take a look its a variant or wildcat but as long as you can make them its stock as hell
Bill

Yes, the search function is not the best however if you use a little effort, it is amazing what you will find.

Since we're talking about the 243 with the 115's, I put in "DTAC 115". I received 200 hits back, many of which directly address the 243.

Also, many of the returns do show the same thread. However when reading your search results, if you encounter a thread that is referenced with "Re: 1/8 stabilize 115 DTAC's?" continue to scroll down until you see the thread that does not contain the "Re:". That is the initial thread and you can read the first and go from there.

Yeah I think you should get two different reloading manuals. Sierra is a good one and shows the 107 SMK bullets and loads. I emailed walt at berger bullets and he gave me some good info on the 105gr. VLD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think the max range for the plain 243 is? Think it could be stretched to 1300 reliably lol. </div></div>

I have mine out to 1200 a lot!! and if conditions are good then your good any wind and your in trouble 107 smk's

how much better is the 115 DTAC compared to the 105 vld or the 107SMK????

Check out John Whidden at WhiddenGunworks.com. John pushes 105 Bergers at 3300 and does with style to 1000. He might go through bbls at that speed like I go through underwear, but whats money but printed paper.
Some great links from his site about the .243.

Just food for thought.

Loaded up some Lapua 105 molly scenars for my 1 in 8 twist 243 with 47g n560, Lapua brass and cci br, av vl was 3,320 fps, was wee bit on hot side so reduced charge to 44g n560 shoots great.

At the longer ranges, any problems with knocking down reactive steel targets such as a Laure target?

I have a GAP with 7.5 twist 25" I load with 46.0 r25 getting 2840fps which seems slow but it is extremely accurate. I had 3 of 4 in a 4" circle at 1000yds 2 weeks ago. It makes a great round that really fights the wind. It is much easier to hit at 1000 than with my Crusader but I am working on a new load with it.