• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243+87gr VMAX Powder choices?

TannerGun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Colorado!
going to give the 87s a try, and I'm looking for a few suggestions powder wise. I plan on giving Hybrid 100v a chance, and MAYBE some Re-15, though it seems a bit slow for this bullet. I'd like something that'll flow through my Uniflow, as I'll be making a bunch of varmint/long range plinking loads.

What are ya'll using? thanks in advance.

Re: 243+87gr VMAX Powder choices?

I use 39.5g varget jump .010. Shot GREAT out of my factory VTR 20 inch barrel. It worked great out to 800y as far as I used it. Will absolutely turn a coy dog inside out!

Oh by the way I got that basic load from another guy that is highly regarded shot around Ok. I just tinkered with my charge a lil for my rifle.

Try some H4831sc out. I run that in my 243, if I do my part, it will touch five shots at 100 almost every time. I will look up my load a get back with ya.

Matt

Cool, will definitely give it a look. One thing is, I'm going to be making a bunch of varmint rounds, and I'd like something that I can run through the Uniflow well. Anybody try Hybrid 100v?

Just a touch under 2800fps. Remember I was using a short barrel though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TannerGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, will definitely give it a look. One thing is, I'm going to be making a bunch of varmint rounds, and I'd like something that I can run through the Uniflow well. Anybody try Hybrid 100v? </div></div>

Courser grain extruded powders do not meter well (consistently) through a powder measure. It's called bridging. You could have a .7 grain total variation. If you do decide to use a stick powder try to stay with temperature stable powders like the Hodgdon extreme series.

Ball powders meter well through a powder measure. The problem is they are temperature sensitive. Like 100fps difference between summer and winter.

For precision reloads I throw a .4 grain lower charge in the pan from the powder measure then grab a pinch of powder out of a small container to bring the final charge to a kernal. After a while you get a feel for how much to grab. You'll be surprised at how fast you can do this.

I use RE15 for the 87 V-max's and RE17 for the 90gr Scenars. The Scenars run about 150fps faster but they are both stupidly accurate from a 24" Tikka T3 Varmint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TannerGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jagged, what speeds are you seeing with the 15 and 87s? </div></div>

About 3100 fps. If I wanted to go faster I'd try using the RE17.

This powder doesn't meter well but IMR4064 36.5 grs worked very well in my 26" Remington 700 varmint rifle I posted a 10 shot 600 yard group here somewhere. A bit over 3,000 fps 6 shots covered by a dime is what my notes say @ 100 yrds. Its been a couple years but its still a Hell of a good load.

Winchester primers winchester brass mag length.

Here it is yes it was windy & my for Shit NIKON wouldnt track so I shot for a group, that's why its not centered

600 yrds
IMAG0136.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg have tried with excellent results v-max 87 gr with winchester cases, H4895 powder @ 34.0 gr , WLR primers. I seated the bullet @ 3.16 in ( measured to the ogive) and crimped very lightly.. See attached

Winchester brass... 87 VMAX... primer of your choice... OAL around 2.710" (to average bullet tip)... 43.5 grains of either W760 or H414 (they're the same powder under different names)... and badda bing badda boom you're done. Super repeatable formula, and good MV.