• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 ackley

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I currently have an FN SPR action at my smith and he is building me a 243ai 3 groove 8 twist 28" barrel to shoot the 105 class bullets. I am looking for peoples pet loads with velocities. I have not picked a specific bullet that I want I just know I want at least 100gr and yes I know to start with standard 243 info and work up from their.

I could also use some fireforming loads if you desire because I have 400 lapua cases that need to be formed.

thanks for your time and info I appreciate it

Re: 243 ackley

The first Ackley I chambered was a 257 Roberts AI in 2001.

I used a new Roberts case as the headspace go gauge.
    I cut the chamber until the bolt just closed.
    Mistake.
    The firing pin can push the base of the neck .004" into the sharp ring at the base of the chamber neck.

I tried 100 ways to fire form and wrote it all down.

The problem is that the case will separate .1" behind the shoulder if I do normal fire forming.

So what I have learned to do is 10 gr of any pistol powder, back fill with instant cream of wheat, and seal the case mouth with Ivory soap. Lube the case body with Lyman moly bore cream.

This half forms the shoulder. That is plenty shoulder to stand up to the firing pin on the next firing.

3/4 neck size with a full length sizer die.

The next round can be a full AI load with full accuracy.
    After that, the shoulder is fully formed.

What does it all mean?
    Cut the AI chamber .004" shorter than the standard chamber.