• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 AI & 6mm Creedmoor

M.D.K.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Pinedale WY
If you take fireforming out of the equation completely, what advantages does the creed have over a 243 AI? Barrel life is far too subjective to make a good argument one way or the other in my opinion and with all the brass/die options out there i have a hard time not not going Ackley but every time I hop on a forum I read more and more about the 6 creed. I’m not a comp shooter so I will be taking 150-200 pieces of fireformed brass and be set so fire forming doesn’t bother me as it’s a one and done step.

Then sounds like the major advantages of the Creed don't apply to you. You reload, not comp shooting where you may lose brass, mag feeding isn't necessarily a requirement (which gets hard with long bullets in the 243 anyways). So I say take the extra velocity and enjoy!

You’re removing the two factors that are important to most shooters, which is why people lean 6CM. Not to mention good factory ammo at a reasonable price. The .243 AI will of course be faster. I personally would never discount fireforming, as I’d just rather load up and begin developement from round one. While your at it, look into a 6slr or 6 comp match.

Main gripe with the AI is feeding. The 6mm Comp match is a good direction to look if you're going to feed out of a magazine. You get the shoulder pushed forward at 31 degrees instead of 40 so not quite the same internal volume, but the 6 comp match maintains the .243 winchester body taper and feeds pretty slick out of AI style mags. If you care to deal with fireforming, it's a decent way to get a little more speed.

Barrel life does kind of play in even if you don't want to think about it, but just remember that every case you fire-form is a firing you lose with "real" rounds. I'll never fireform again, not worth a couple clicks IMO. There are enough options out there to get the BC or velocity you want without having to fireform cases and deal with the wasted barrel life, components, lost cases, etc.. etc.. associated with it. To each his own, though.

I’ve gone down the Ackley road before and I can tell you first hand that fire forming is a pain in the ass. Especially when you take into account chamberings that are hard on barrels. I have a 6mm Creedmoor and a buddy shoots a .243 Ackley, our Accuracy nodes are about the same speed.

If barrel life and feeding are not issues why not go to something like 6.5x55AI/6.5 Addiction if you cant single feed rounds at the standard OAL for 6.5x55Ai? Way more potent round and same bolt face. It is a little more expensive to reload for, but not to terribly different.

I never got the speed promised out of the .243 AI out of a 24" barrel. I'm now running a 22" 6 creed and am within 100 fps of the .243 AI. As mentioned, the .243 AI feeds like crap. With Alpha making 6 creed brass now, i think it's a no-brainer.

How does the 6x47 compare to the other two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk