• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 AI Owners - Velocity Question

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
I've got new Rock barrel coming for my 243AI. My current barrel is slow twist, but I'm moving to a fast twist to shoot the heavies. There are 3 different bullets that I want to focus on: 115 DTAC, 107 SMK & 105 Amax. I want to run the numbers for each to determine best performance and cost. Using a 26" custom barrel what upper end velocity have you guys seen for each? Not primer piercing though...

Re: 243 AI Owners - Velocity Question

i'm getting 3180 with the 105 a-max out of my sps with the factory 9.125 twist factory 26 inch varmint barrel. no signs of pressure with 44 grains of h-4350.

Thanks guys.

Nobody shooting the other bullets?

With formed Lapua brass in a 26" Rock 5R 8 twist I'm getting 3258 fps from the 105 AMAX with no pressure.

I've gotten 3127 fps in formed Win brass from the 107 SMK before I saw a very slight ejector stamp and couldn't get near the velocity from the 107 that I did with the 105 AMAX without pressure, even with the same brass. Accuracy was quite respectable in both loads.

115 DTACs with RL-22 (I think 45 grains, but start lower)true 1 in 8, 29'' barrel about 3100 - 3150 fps (anything higher than that lead to primer punctures, but I was using an AW action which has a pretty large diameter firing pin - couldn't get myself to bush the bolt either)and I think 44.5 grains of N165 were giving me about the same results. I don't have the exact numbers with me, so err on the side caution. Ultimately, had pretty bad feeding problems so went to straight .243, but that was just my particular setup.