• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

243 AI Questions

2Shots

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
So Indiana
I just starting shooting a 243AI I purchased from a shooter here. I probably only have 75 rounds or so through it trying to get a good load. The non fire formed brass shoots pretty bad, the formed a little better but not great. Most of the loads I see here are H4350 with the 105, should I go to a slower powder to get a fuller case? I would like to shoot in the 3025 to 3075 range but am pretty sure the additional 3 grains the case will hold might be a little hot with the same powder. Any logic to my worries? Some of the groups start sub 1/2 moa but I get flyers. Anybody out there shooting 105's and grouping good? Give me some suggestions. Its hard to find AI data.

Re: 243 AI Questions

What kind of velocity do you get? How many rounds through your barrel?

What twist bbl you have? If it is a 7.5, tty the 115's. I assume you have an 8" if you're set on the 105's. In my 1st Ackley I can run the 107's at 3100 w/ 45 gr Reloader 22. I got them up to 3130 with Retumbo, but the case was too full to consistenly seat bullets to the same length. I have since relegated this rifle to a little hot rod pushing the 80 gr BT's at 3550. (it's hell on coyotes!)
My other Ackley is a freakin shooter! With a 7.5" bbl, I push the 115's to 3050 with Retumbo. I've went hotter, but it likes them right there. 1100 rounds and still shootin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of velocity do you get? How many rounds through your barrel? </div></div>

I'm around 3200 fps. I have 508 rounds down my barrel. I've been keeping track of my throat and it's really slowed down. It moved 0.010" in the first 166 rounds and an additional 0.004" over the last 342.

I tried a BUNCH of different powders and the 115 DTACS, 115 JLKS, 105 Amax's and the 107 SMK's. Settled on the 107's and 4831SC. The same load shoots excellent in my other 243ai as well. Drop 1.5 grains and safely work up to my load. It shoots good all the way out to 0.060" off the lands so I know it'll still perform when the throat gets way out there.

I also had my barrel nitrided so,YMMV.

if it is the 243AI you picked up on this site try this:

44-46gr R22
42-44gr R17
Lapua Brass formed with 105 amax.

The R22 load ran the best at 3050fps. The R17 load screamed but accuracy wasn't as good as the R22.

I shot 4831sc tonight, 45 to 46.5, as fast as it ran was 3065 or so, grouped moa, just ok. 42gr 4350 ran 3025 or so and grouped better, probably 3/4 moa.

One thing I found out with my .243 Ackley is that a 1" group @ 100 didn't translate to a 4" group @ 400, usually they were in the 3/4 moa range. With a 105/107 grain bullet, I wouldn't worry about an extra 100fps, as the VLD/CC/MK carry very well a LONG ways downrange, and the extra velocity will not substantially flatten your trajectory. 3050 is plenty of velocity to get you to 1K & beyond

I'm very happy with my 243 AI. I'm using 48.5 grains of RE 25 and getting 3250 fps out of 115 BN coated DTAC'c, lapua brass, and wolf large rifle primers.

It's also very accurate. In our local dynamite shoot there were 2 popcan filled targets at 1200 yards and I hit both of them. A pop can is of course only 2.5 inches wide. It took me about 10 shots but when I missed it was only off by an inch or two.

I'm using a schneider 7.5 twist p5 barrel in a rifle I built. I'm not a very good bench rest shooter but my best 5 shot group with this rifle at 100 yards is 0.176", unfortunately it's not consistently that small. Sometimes my 100 yard groups are 3/4 of an inch. I don't think it's the rifle I think it's how I'm shooting that day. I shoot off a bipod and a rear bag.

I had expected the barrel to stop shooting well somewhere around 1000 rounds, it's still shooting great at 1200. I'll make another when this one opens up.

If you are considering a repeating 243 AI and want to use Accuracy international magazines you will have to use the Alpha mag brands. Alpha mags don't have the ridge crimped in the side of the magazine and will accommodate the longer AI case. The standard Accuracy International mags will not work. I did have to open up the feed lips near the chamber on the alpha mags to get the rounds to feed consistently.

All in all it's a great round.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot 4831sc tonight, 45 to 46.5, as fast as it ran was 3065 or so, grouped moa, just ok. 42gr 4350 ran 3025 or so and grouped better, probably 3/4 moa. </div></div>

Were you showing any pressure signs?

How far are you from the lands and have you worked with different coal?

Are your groups vertical or horizontial stringing or are the groups just "open"?

I'm having to stick out pretty far to hit the lands with the 105's, longer than the mag, I pulled them back to 2.830 to fit the mag so they are like .040 off. I have a couple of longer interior mags I may start using if they will feed. No pressure signs on any of the loads. The open groups were all over, I am used to shooting a 1lb trigger in my other rifles and this one has the original remy, adjusted to about 2 1/2 or 3 lbs, so that's part of it. I'll order my jewell this week! Spoiled for sure. I'll try probably 42.5 of 4350 next time, that's about the speed I will shoot, I have some rl 25 also, may try that. Some tell me the 107's run better for them so I ordered 500 yesterday.

Take your best shooting load so far and try single feeding them with the bullets 0.010" off the lands. Then drop them back 0.040" and 0.070" off the lands. One of these should shoot better than the others. Your not looking for a 1/4" group @ this point but, you'll find out how much of a jump the bullets like in your rifle.

If you're not runnning into pressure (and you know what to look for) load a single load of your 4350 @ 41, 41.5, 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5 & 44. Shoot each of these starting at the lowest charge and stop when pressure signs appear. This will give you your max load with the bullet located where the barrel wants it.

There is an excellent 4 part write up @ the beginning of this section. If you've not read it yet, take some time and do so. Half the fun of rifle shooting is finding out what diet the rifle wants.

Shot yesterday with the following results.
105amax 42.5gr H4350
No pressure signs but velocity didn't change from 42gr.,all around 3025fps.
Loaded bullets .010", .040", and .070" off the lands.

Grouped as follows;
.010" .600
.040" .750
.070" 1.0moa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it is the 243AI you picked up on this site try this:

44-46gr R22
42-44gr R17
Lapua Brass formed with 105 amax.

The R22 load ran the best at 3050fps. The R17 load screamed but accuracy wasn't as good as the R22.
</div></div>

again. I was the original owner of that barreled action. Have you tried these loads yet? That rifle grouped a sub MOA group at 850 with the R22 load.

That's next, I picked up some Reloader this afternoon. So was the round count correct when I got it? The Gun is sweet, I put it in an A4 Isaac bedded for me, with my NF 5.5x22 and my atlas. I'm not sure the AI part is worth the trouble but if it groups it'll be a nice rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's next, I picked up some Reloader this afternoon. So was the round count correct when I got it? The Gun is sweet, I put it in an A4 Isaac bedded for me, with my NF 5.5x22 and my atlas. I'm not sure the AI part is worth the trouble but if it groups it'll be a nice rig. </div></div>

Yes it was correct.

Wait until you realize that you are on your 3rd or 4th time reloading brass and you haven't had to trim the brass yet. That alone makes it worth it.

2shots, if you have an 8 or faster twist, run the 115 DTACs, over about 43.2 gr of H4350 at 2.850"ish and see what it does. some will say an 8" twist won't stabilize a 115 DTAC.... I disagree strongly