• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.243 and heavy bullets max AOL question

hedonistic

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Utah
How heavy can .243 bullets be loaded without exceeding max AOL? More specifically how heavy can I go in a standard metric FAL mag? I ask because I am considering a custom LAR-8 build with a faster than RRA standard barrel. Thanks in advance.

Re: .243 and heavy bullets max AOL question

The only way to know how long your mag length is, is to measure your mags. I've loaded heavy 243 rounds extra long in a bolt gun, and found no accuracy advantage at all over standard Rem max length of 2.835 inches.

Re: .243 and heavy bullets max AOL question

I had a problem with the Berger 105 VLD's fitting in a mag when seated at the lands. The length forward of the ogive is much longer than the 107 SMK's and 115 DTAC's. As posted, you'll need to check your own set up with your bullets.

If you're having the rifle built, specify the chamber to be reamed with the bullet set up you have in mind. That way, there is no guessing as to what will fit.